MD35: Milan v Roma (May 7th, 2017)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, May 6, 2017.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ask yourself this question?

What is more important to Roma's immediate future right now? Finishing 2nd or Totti getting a few token minutes because it might be his last chance to play at the San Siro. If your answer is the latter then I just dont know what to say.

The game is not over at 3-1 and the team was tired. That's simply not a situation you bring Totti in to a match. End of story.

2. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Totti Cares

ErPupone repped this.
  3. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I want Totti to play forever. Seeing him on the field brings me immense joy. Even in his current state.

But has anyone stopped and wondered how it became that charity minutes at end of games is what Totti apparently "deserves" now. Isn't asking for that in itself insulting to the man's legacy?

To be completely objective, Totti did that to himself. He should've retired while on top so people can remember yhim as champion. But Totti has always followed his heart, not his mind.

Anyone who cares about Totti and his legacy should ask him to retire today. The Totti I want to remember is a champion, not a washed up player who spends his time passing gum on the bench and waiting to be given charity minutes at end of games here and there.

Anything else is pure selfishness and denial. Selfishness because we want to see him play forever, even if it means hurting his legacy. Denial because many don't want to accept nor they are ready for a Roma without him.

La Magica, Oban14, Java65 and 2 others repped this.
  4. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Totti actually played twice as many minutes as last season. I'm fine with how he was handled this season and don't think that his legacy was hurt in any way. Don't care about the "charity playing time" some are demanding. The only thing I would've done different is to bring him on earlier in the 2nd leg against Lyon and the Coppa-Derby.

La Magica repped this.
  5. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm tired of this "shameful Totti disrespect" campaign against Spalletti. We bounced back after a bad loss in the best way, yet all people seem to care about is why Totti didn't get 10 minutes. It's laughable. And I'm not even pro-Spalletti here. Whoever the Coach is, this is too unfair towards them. The Coach's first and foremost job is to care about the team and, in this case, doing everything possible to secure 2nd place. Let's not pretend achieving that goal isn't tremendously important.

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  6. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice write up. I still want to see him play and I don't think it will hurt his legacy. To see his sublime passes at 41 while only playing sparingly only helps his legacy in my mind. He hasn't quit on his beloved Roma and continues to put the hard work in training every day knowing he probably won't play. How many other wealthy athletes would quit because of this? This selfless dedication defines Totti. He is doing all of this in case he is called upon to help Roma. He is and will always be one of the most iconic legendary athletes in any sport. I don't think he can do anything to change that.

romanista8910 repped this.
  7. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If he plays on I wouldnt rule out a further 5-10 games over the course of a season. Spalletti is right on this, the media are creating trouble when there really doesn't need to be. You can't question every coaching decision he makes and yes at 3-1 it was still open. The system would have had to be changed to suit him and that is more risky to the result considering he game situation. I think you guys complaining about this don't really understand the dynamic of a game of football or you're letting your love of Totti overrule your thinking on it.

whill4, shiboboo, Oban14 and 2 others repped this.
  8. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've said it many times on here. Totti is still very useful as a sub. Our coach just hates him and that's why we don't see him play. Regardless of that though, if it's the guys last season you show him some respect and let him get a final tribute in the San Siro. Even if he was a complete garbage pale now, after what he's done for this team you show him at least that much respect. Call it charity if you want.

porreca repped this.
  9. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We were up 3-1 if the team can't defend that kind of lead with 10 minutes left to show some respect to the only bright point this team has over the last 20 years then we don't deserve to win. Instead you let him sit on the bench, essentially saying we don't care for all you did for this team, it's more important to try and finish second. That's disgusting, just utterly disgusting. It's funny how so many people forget what loyalty and respect is and trade that all away in a second for a false hope. This is Roma, chances of us winning a scudetto in the next 10 years is probably 5%. Why not embrace the one thing that we do have and that has given us so much over the years. It's OK though let's have that second place finish again, were gonna need that 50 million to recover all the jersey sales and popularity well lose when Totti retires and people are disgusted with how the team treated him. But it's ok, well be in 2nd place...again and again and again and nothing to show for how Totti was treated.

porreca and Tottino repped this.
  10. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Totti has been misused this season but I don't think this game was one of those instances. For me you use Totti when you are chasing goals, not when you are defending. It's really that simple.

Oban14, Goduerza and ErPupone repped this.
  11. PureEvil

PureEvil Member+

Jul 30, 2014
    California
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

Edin Dzeko is the first Roma player to score at least 27 goals in a single Serie A season since Enrique Guaita ...( 1934-1935)

Sorry Totti :ninja:

12. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why sorry Totti?

13. Tottino

Tottino Member+

Mar 19, 2005
    Frosinone, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Why even give trolls time of the day. Even with 27 goals Europe still doesn't rate him...or anyone from Bosnia for that matter. Lol

14. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate to quote a Juve player I found this comment very interesting and the difference in mentality between the 2 clubs. I'm not suggesting either is right or wrong, I just find it interesting.
    Chiellini said, "I giocatori vengono dopo la società” -translation, The players come after the club

15. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really crazy how many goals are being scored in SA this season.

16. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dzeko had an amazing season no doubt. I just feel deep down he won't come close to repeating that next season. Either way, great season and hopefully he does. Unless a big offer comes in which I would take.

But saying sorry Totti? I just don't get. Totti at Dzeko's age was 5 million times better the player Dzeko could ever be. Totti isn't expected to start over Dzeko at 40 so I just don't understand the comment.

shiboboo and PureEvil repped this.
  17. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's also easy to say when you're a medium fish in a massive pond.

Generally I would agree though in most instances.

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, you can't compare them at all. Different players in very, very different era's. If Totti was 10 years younger I have no doubts he'd have 30 goals this season. This season there are already 6 players with 20 goals and Borriello has 16 (still a chance) in '06/'07 there were 2.

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make a great point and I'm not disparaging Roma but... Juve have had a multitude of great players go through their club. Roma fans can count on 1 hand the number of truly world class players that have played for Roma in their prime.

romanista8910 repped this.
  20. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yup that's totally my point. Chiellini is a very good player amongst a history of legends. Totti is a legendary player amongst a history of mediocre to very good players, some legends. Easy for Chiellini to say that given who he is and where he plays.

21. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were great players before Totti and there will be great players after. I love Francesco, but the club doesn't end with him.

shiboboo and GamE_Ove12 repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He is useful as a sub when the right occasion comes along. Yesterday was not that occasion, no ifs or buts.

Regards giving him one last run out at the San Siro. The coach's job is the here and now, not one last run out for old times sake or because of what he has done for 20 years at the club. Now is all that matters, just like when they hit the training ground, the result yesterday is already done, you move on and focus on the now. The coach is hired to get results today, simple as. You need to gain a sense of perspective on this situation and stop shitting on the coach thinking Totti should get moments just because which is actually a disrespect.

shiboboo repped this.
  23. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You say that like we are Juventus and have a hall of fame of players that are the same or better than him.

The club doesn't end with him and most of us will still support this team once he is gone. But for a lot of us, treating him badly taints the magic this club once made us feel. That is something that unfortunately lasts forever.

24. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's fine the coach can think of it his way and a lot of us will think of it our way. Spalletti will be long gone soon and the brutal treatment of Totti will stain the club...and guess what it didn't earn us a scudetto or any steps closer to getting one. All for nothing.

I've said this many times on here and I'll say it again, everyone is free to cheer for this team the way that makes them happy. For many, loyalty and respect coun't for a little bit more.

25. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yeah the coach will think of it his way, as a paid professional. Here and now, all that matters.

I point out the flaws in your post and your try to deflect with the moral high ground about respect and loyalty. :rolleyes: I can got back to when I first posted on this forum defending him against many who were openly hoping he would leave for the mls. That was real disrespect.
    I love him as much as you but the world keeps moving, it's all about right now, securing second and the money needed to keep the team trying to improve and go one step forward.

Yesterday was not his time to play, onto the next game.