MD3: Milan vs Roma (August 31st, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Aug 28, 2018.

1. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    We had 2 players play in the World Cup. One didn’t make it out of the group stage and the other didn’t get a minute of time. The rest of the team was at the first preseason. That excuse doesn’t fly.

Java65 repped this.
  2. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Actually we had 3..….oh

3. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, Monchi really weakened the squad. Perhaps one of Roma's worst transfer markets ever: so much quality lost and so little gained despite the enormous amount spent.

Indian_Gladiator repped this.
  4. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Yeah fine, some fans only care about the now , some fans like to look at the big picture , some fans are a mixture of both. I can't tell you which group to align yourself with. If you don't like "new direction/project talk" what can I do? I think it's pretty important.

We hired a new coach and new DOF who has a big reputation. Of course both of them are going to put their stamp on the team. Did people think Monchi would take Sabatini's core and just add to it? I mean, we're not that club, and that core won jack shit/was aging rapidly before our eyes.

In a vacuum , yes , we haven't looked great. But in sports (and life) context is everything.

What do you want me to explain to you? Why we don't look good? I think I've tried , haven't I?...

or is it the fact we have too many "questions" surrounding the squad? Simple answer: Monchi took a ballsy approach and we don't have a shit ton of cash.

Yeah, we looked good and lost to Inter a year ago. But we also severely struggled away at Atalanta , and lacked cohesion and the ability to create. If we had that exact same roster this season , and had just added pieces , I would be a little worried. But , in many ways, we're starting from scratch again.

Next summer, I'm sure more Sabatini mainstays will be sold , and we'll replace them with new veterans and youth , and they'll have to integrated.

Hopefully, by that time, the club is in a better position to deal with these growing/acclimation pains. I think they will be.

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I just skip over his posts entirely

6. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired

For those who forgot how we used to play. Sad.

7. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We’re going to need the Guiness Book of World Records to take note of how far you’ve jumped to conclusions

8. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    People would he less frustrated if their expectations were a little more rstional and realistic. Anyone who came into this season expecting us to light up the league with the amount of turnover that this squad experienced is only fooling themselves. It's going to be a painful process that will have its fair share of struggles.

La Magica, Haakon24 and shiboboo repped this.
  9. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Sounds a lot like upheaval to me.

10. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    How well did we do that season?

11. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    87 points. Most in Roma history.

Java65 repped this.
  12. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Maybe it is/was. We won't know until time has passed.

Right now, I'm willing to give it space to breathe. I think it's just the right thing to do. You may be right , and I may be wrong in the end. We'll just have to wait and see.

If I'm being 100% honest, I still think this team needs to move on from 5-6 guys and replace them with 2-3 genuine class players. But, that takes time for a club like Roma.

13. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't think anyone expected us to 'light up the league' already. However I also don't think you can blame anybody for expecting us to start this season in a slightly less muddled and listless manner. We have been poor. We have a plethora of question marks surrounding the squad. How exactly the blame should be apportioned right now is anyone's guess, but I sure know what it's starting to look like. The signs are not good. Can we turn it around? Maybe. Tonights defeat will do no harm in that regard.

14. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think there were major questions with this transfer market, IMO, you are correct here. EDF made a lot mistakes in this one. First the formation, all wrong against a 433 where you essentially have Pastore as your ball winning MF.

Then deciding to sit back and try to play counterattack with no speed at all on the field.

Starting Karsdorp was a huge mistake, there was no chance he could go 90 so you essentially have already wasted 1 sub. Not a fan of Santon but it's what you have and it was unfair to put Karsdorp in that position, IMO.

You can't start DDR and N'Zonzi together. I think EDF got a lot optimistic given the one half they had together.

Not to say Monchi didn't make some horrible mistakes but EDF hasn't done a good job this season yet. I'm still willing to give it time until EDF gets a handle on his players

15. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I'm not sure how to divide the blame between EDF and Monchi but I think it's clear that both need to share it. At this point I think EDF probably gets a bit more blame because of just how poorly we have played.

16. Tottino

Tottino Member+

Mar 19, 2005
    Frosinone, Italia
    Club:
    AS Roma
  17. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    1035650157759496192 is not a valid tweet id

18. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, all you have to do is look at the person on your avatar. Our Zeman-lover cannot produce miracles from a lump of crap. Even though he acts like a school boy 90% of the time.

19. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No matter what we do, we cannot field 3 decent midfielders at the same time regardless of the opponent or the stakes.

Moronchi took the best or at worst second best midfield in Italy and ruined the shit out of it. Another summer with Moronchi in the seat and we'd be playing the Sevillas of the world in EL.

He've managed to ruin Sabatini's work in the midfield and GK in one summer, I totally expect him to finish the job by dismantling our defense and attack the next chance he gets.

20. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I hope he dismantles our defense, it’s not that great.

21. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Barca dodged a damn meteor shower by not being able to hire that guy.

I am not even mad about tonight's loss. But the absolute certainty that's this is going to be one of many such meltdowns kind of get's me there...

LordNelson repped this.
  22. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Does that come with any silverware? How well did we do in CL?

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    3 matches into the season and already everyone is acting as though the sky is falling. Last season we honestly didn't do that well domestically. Had it not been for some heroics from Under and Dzeko in the later half of last season to revitalize what was a stale attack, as well as some superhuman goalkeeping from AB, chances are we wouldn't even have finished in the top 4 either . People need to get a grip.

shiboboo repped this.
  24. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Our first 3 matches happened to be against 3 formidable opponents (2 of them on the road, and 2 of them within a 4 days of each other). It's not like we got to start the campaign under the most ideal of circumstances. And again, this is a squad with A LOT of new faces. It's going to take time for them to gel with each other, plain and simple. We struggled heavily at times in the first half of last season as well, and that was even in spite of the fact that we still had our core group intact. I mean, how many valuable points did we drop against weaker opposition that should've been an easy 3 points? Right now we are in the midst of a project, and with it comes a PROCESS. People can either choose to believe in said project and process, and learn to deal with the challenges that will come with it, or they can just find themselves another club to support.

shiboboo, La Magica and Haakon24 repped this.