MD22: Roma v Sampdoria - deja vu (January 28th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Java65, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    At the same time, only we can lose a match and fail to even score in spite of getting 11 shots on goal and a penalty kick lol

Java65 repped this.
  2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Back to the false 9 of SES, Perotti and Under. Fluid at least

Oban14, shiboboo, wm72 and 1 other person repped this.
  3. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He "can". Dunno how effective he'd be.

It would certainy offer a different look and give us far more counter options.

4. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    I can't help but wonder how different this team would look right now if we never lost Salah...

5. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Pretty much what I was thinking. Movement and creativity has been a major issue. Without a legit RW coming our way playing with a false 9 might be a feasible option?

6. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel for EDF. This was probably his dream job, but he took over at the worst time. Constantly flipping players and reshuffling the squad every summer has finally caught up to us.

Marko83 repped this.
  7. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Anyways, I'm still optimistic we can grab 4th place this season. The talent is there and we are honestly just a quality RW away from finding that extra gear. That being said, we sadly may not be able to actually address that missing piece until the summer..

8. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree but who is going to score? Perotti can't finish and Under doesn't seem to be there yet so it's SES or nobody. Can Defrel be that guy if he's playing in his natural position? Maybe. That said those 3 up front would be very fun to watch for sure.

9. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    It' caught up to us every single year since the Americans took over.

LordNelson repped this.
  10. nguoiaoden

nguoiaoden Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out
    Di Francesco out

Eusebio Di Francesco out !

FireTrapatoni, LordNelson and HeadBurn3r repped this.
  11. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, because people are manic.

We need continuity.

I think EDF should stay as well. He's made some mistakes , but overall, I like him. We need to blood younger players into the lineup , and he's doing that well.

12. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Is He? One of the best young talents in Italy (Emerson) has been inexplicably riding the bench for almost 2 months now, while our 40 million dollar 22 yr old has barely featured for us when healthy. I love the fact that Pellegrini has been getting the nod often while Under is finally being given a fair look, but the fact remains that some of his personnel decisions have been head scratchers

13. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Not edf fault they didn’t replace Salah

RomaWolf repped this.
  14. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Genius subs by EDF.

Pallotta doesn't like winless streaks, EDF's days are numbered.

15. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, we've done a pretty good job of replacing players just about every season, and getting back to the level we were at prior. This summer though it was pretty unfortunate. Most the signings haven't worked out well, so the starting 11 is now a lot weaker.

It was inevitable to eventually happen with the way we do business. The same has happened to Dortmund. It's just not a model that guarantees success every year. It's a lottery.

Oban14 and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  16. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We didn't deserve to lose, but we didn't deserve to win either. Much like the previous game, a draw would have been fair on the overall balance of play.

Any talk of ousting EdF at this point is ridiculous. I've nothing more to say about that.

Under was a positive for me. He was desperately unlucky not to get his first goal. At this point, if Dzeko isn't sold, I'll be very disappointed.

shiboboo and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  17. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not sure what the deal is with Emerson. Maybe he just hasn't returned to suitable form after that horrific injury? Dunno, maybe others have more insight torwards EDF's decision making in that regard. Has he said anything about in press conferences?

I don't think it's fair to criticize EDF over Schick. EDF uses 1 striker, and Dzeko is one of the most accomplished players on the team. EDF tried using him at RW and it wasn't pretty. Not sure what else you can ask of him.

Next season , when Schick is more acclimatized and (hopefully) healthy , you can judge EDF.

Under/Pellegrini/Gerson getting significant minutes and Antonucci getting into a game as a 18 year old (from the academy, ********ing finally) are super positive things for us.

shiboboo repped this.
  18. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If EDF can't figure out how to make this team work then why should Roma let him learn at their own expense? We have been blessed with the UEFA changes to CL spots, yet we can't even remain in the top 4. EDF is clearly not helping himself with most of his decisions lately. He keeps trying to shove those same square pegs in the same round holes and it's not getting any better. We all know that when Roma get into a crisis things don't recover just with time. Instead it goes on and on until a more radical change is made, which is change of coach.

nguoiaoden repped this.
  19. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    They don't want a coach who can grow with a team- the team will look totally different next year as they continue to make profits from selling the best players. There is no continuity for a coach to grow with. They want a coach who can succeed immediately with a random group of players- which I admit is no easy feat.

20. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  21. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Long way to go until the end of the season and nothing changes today in the table. with the lazio defeat and Inter draw. As to why should we let him learn? Because long term thinking is always a smarter move than basing things on short term emotion. He will come good but in the management game is he still a baby.

Learn at Romas expense, well he wasn't exactly helped with the team. We have a few holes thats hes had to try and patch up but there not exactly any clear fixes hes totally ignoring. Good things take time and I trust the team long term. Ive come to accept we're not going to be a consistent side until we have a stadium so it is what it is.

shiboboo repped this.
  22. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do not blame EDF for the crap team he has been given, or the zero replacements or the sales of good players ( Salah ) - do not blame him for the instructions he has been given by our Toe-rag owners and circus clown Monchi. Achieve the absolute minumum at zero cost and if not - SELL, SELL, SELL.

Do not get me wrong our " Zeman-lover" is an average manager who achieved average results at an average team. For a team who should be aiming for the Scudetto - he is woefully inadequate. The results however; you cannot blame on him.

We all know it - even you disulusional Americans who are in love with Toe-rag Pallotta - this team and management is going downhill. Just like the pathetic pipe dream of a new stadium. The sooner these idiots are out of this club, the better.

Marko83 repped this.
  23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First let me say I'm in no way calling for EdF to be fired there are still a lot of games to go. Yes this team as holes.. actually only 1 glaring one at RW but it's a huge hole. Also, in terms of performance Monchi has been much worse; he's bought injured players and in the case of Schick spent 40 mil on an injured player, he sold Salah with no alternative at all and then tried to plug the hole.

I know the common theme is we need a creative MF.. and until today I thought so to but it hit me, we have him. Radja had a career year last year in large part because Spalletti played him up higher to win the ball in the opponents third. It also forced teams to not pack the box for fear of Ninja uncorking one and he can dribble past players (Ninja style). He's not the prototypical creative MF but Spalletti used him in that role and he and the team flourished. EdF has moved Radja back and it's hurt him (statistically) and Roma.

Then there is the insanity of playing Kolarov 90 mins every game when it's clear he's spent. He changes formations / tactics when the team is playing well. His substitutions have been mind boggling.

So yea, there's a giant hole at RW with no real (good) options but EdF needs to be a bit more creative and tactically flexible.

24. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm telling you guys, we're waiting for the visit of Benevento to finally pick up a win. But to be honest, at this rate, I'm not even sure we can beat them.

25. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The idea of us heading away to play Shahktar is extremely disturbing right now. I don't even want to think about it. They're busy preparing themselves for that game and that game only. I have visions of them training like Ivan Drago in Rocky IV.