MD13: Udinese vs Roma (November 24th, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Nov 22, 2018.

1. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    7th place is unacceptable given our wage bill and transfers. WTF is going that Mongo and EDF have lowered the expectations for this team to SEVENTH PLACE.

LordNelson and Midfield General repped this.
  2. PDeGennaro

PDeGennaro Member+

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Christ when did we start accepting mediocrity around here? We are in SEVENTH place and in most games the team plays awful. Who says that's bound to change if we give EDF the whole season?

We lost 2-0 not against Juventus, Napoli or Inter but against SPAL! Now against Udinese (17th place out of 20 spots in Serie A). Up next we have Inter a team which has 9 pts more than we do and has won 5 out of its last six matches. If we don't win that we are going to be 12 pts off from 3RD.

12 pts off from the third place in December........

LordNelson and Midfield General repped this.
  3. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Roma defender Aleksandar Kolarov responded to recent criticism of Eusebio Di Francesco’s side

The fans have the right to be annoyed, we respect that, but they must be conscious of the fact they know nothing about football.

:laugh:

Hustle and Flow repped this.
  5. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may be right but it doesn't take a football mastermind to know that we just lost to a team that is battling relegation. We just lost to a team whos' total wages is about 1/3 of Roma's.

I'm not saying fans don't overreact but it really bugs me when a team is underachieving and a player runs their mouth. Shut up and prove the fans wrong.

6. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I agree 7th place is unacceptable at the END of the SEASON (all caps is fun) but what is gained by hiring a new manager now? Are we even sure EDF is the problem? Or was it the rigid 4-3-3 (oh wait we haven’t played that for a while now)
    If you fire EDF now, who do you get to replace him (realistically)
    The situation is much more complex than “I’m pissed that my team is in 7th so let’s fire the coach”

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree that nothing will be gained or change by firing EDF and hiring someone else. This however , is the norm that the Serie A clubs have set forth. The pressure comes from the fans , fan clubs and the media. Its bad everywhere in Italy but especially in Rome , its the worst. Whichever way you turn it, if this trek continues and whether its right or wrong, Eusebio will be gone soon!

8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Udinese did seem to benefit from the manager change and a healthy slice of luck but I get your point. We obviously should be on the worst day coming away with the minimum of a point. Nzonzi header cant be missed at that point. We would have likely went on to win had it went in.

We do desperately need a fit Pastore and Perotti to have the creativity to break down these sides but I am confident thats not far away, certainly Perotti.

Without Manolas we can never be certain what we will get at the back game to game. That is a major problem but that aside, the overall game on Sunday was impressive. The build up play is now starting to work with us looking smooth on the ball. Just my hunch, but I see a lot of little parts that can click, its very close to doing so imo and I expect a strong run to Christmas is incoming.

Oban14, Java65, HeadBurn3r and 2 others repped this.
  9. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    So we are gonna beat Inter, Juve and Madrid over the next few weeks.

Bank it!

Midfield General and La Magica repped this.
  10. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We're gonna steal the participation Scudetto from Milan this season.

11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be honest, I am a lot less upset with the loss to Udi than the other losses/draws to bottom feeders. As you said we actually played well against Udinese, but the other matches we were terrible (which gives me a bit of hope for upcoming matches).

The one thing that strikes me about Roma (regardless of who the coach has been) we seem to panic if the game drags on and we are can't get that go ahead goal or concede when we are playing much better than the opponent. We then change our approach to the game and come all undone. We start making stupid high-risk passes or crazy shots from distance.

When you watch a team like Juve if the score is 0-0 in the 70th min they don't all of the sudden panic they continue playing their game trusting the constant pressure will finally crack the other team. Just look at the Udi game, yes it was awful defending on that goal but in part that was because we panicked and started pushing our FB and Nzonzi higher. I don't know how to fix that mentality but it brings to mind Pjanic comment about Juve's professionalism and I think it has some merit.

Maybe the time has come to go get a bigger name coach that has been in those positions, I don't know.

12. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Hopefully JP will buck the trend and stay the course. Him being based in the US should be a benefit as he will be insulated from the some of the noise.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think so. JP got rid of Rudi Garcia a few years ago and Roma was in a lot better position. He also came off of two very successful campaigns.

14. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is football in the modern day.

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s all about money. Getting relegated is devestating for the lesser clubs. While not making the CL or EL for bigger teams is like money out the door.

Losing sponsors , TV deals and declining ticket , shirt and merchandise sales is why presidents or club owners panic and fire coaches.

16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017