MD11: Fiorentina vs Roma (November 3rd, 2018)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    1. We have missed Perotti.

2. Yep, we've been pretty bad this season at times and unfortunately we haven't been getting the rub of the green either, which isn't helping.

3. A large number of our players are simply not up to it. I'm talking about consistency here. How much of that is actually EDFs fault is, at least, questionable.

4. Manolas and DDR are key players for us. I mean really key. It shouldn't be this way, but it is. There is a stark drop in standards when one or more of our key players (of which I could count on one hand) is absent. We didn't play well today that's for sure and yet, despite key absentees, were still the better side for me.

5. It's the SPAL defeat that has really set us back here. That was a killer. Wins over Napoli/Fiorentina would have gone a long way to healing that wound. We couldn't get those wins and in the meantime have forgotten that draws in those fixtures are not actually bad results. It's just we're so far behind now that every dropped point seems like another travesty for some. It's understandable.

6. I would give EDF till at least the winter break and see where we are at overall before making any decisions.

7. This club hasn't won a trophy in over 10 years. I'd happily take a Coppa win and decent CL run regardless of what happens in the league to be honest.

Oban14, wm72, La Magica and 2 others repped this.
  2. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yeah I’d happy to finish 10th as long as we get a coppa Italia or make it to the semis again.

3. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m sure we will get better results with another coach in the short term, but long term we will just be back to the same situation we are at. This just isn't a very good team.

We had a good team. But unfortunately Mongo disagreed.

4. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Don’t forget though. Totti made Spallett, one of the best coaches in Roma history quit because he wanted to play a little more.

5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The problem with finishing below fourth which - save for a major recovery - looks highly improbable, is from where will the money come to invest in new players?

Apart from Under, there is not another player who would attract a significant fee.

That is before we consider the person who is responsible for investing the money...

6. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    There's no question finishing outside the top 4 would be a financial blow. We could only hope in that situation that it would be offset somewhat by a good run in the CL again. We know how lucrative making the SFs can be. Although I doubt many would back us to repeat that feat. There's a long way to go though. At this point 4th is still very much a realistic target, but no higher I would say, as finishing ahead of any of Inter/Napoli/Juve seems unlikely. I cant see any of those sides hitting a slump. We're up against Milan and Lazio for 4th place, unless we continue to lose to the SPALs, in which case we'll be up against nobody.

In terms of attracting a significant fee, I think you may have forgotten about Manolas there. As for Under, I take those rumours of interested clubs with a grain of salt frankly. I read one report which mentioned a figure of 60 million! Ridiculous. I'd carry him on my back to whatever club offered a fee in that region.

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma need a less deranged version of Spalletti. Someone who is a tactical master, who will be hard on the players and who is doesn't succumb to the pressure of the fans and press.

I'm not sure who that is but EDF is clearly wilting.

8. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For all the positives Spalletti brings he's nuts and he's acts like an ass to the fans and press.

Yes, Totti was a problem but Spalletti exasperated the situation by refusing to play Totti at all. I love that part of Spalletti that doesn't care what others think and will do what he thinks is right but he takes that to the extreme and cuts of his nose to spite his face.

Oban14, wm72 and hangthadj repped this.
  9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than enough talent to beat the like of SPAL, Bologna and other bottom feeders and EDF can't even manage that.

I think both Monchi and EDF need to go but there is still more than enough talent to beat the team EDF has been dropping points to

10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    https://www.football-italia.net/130219/monchi-penalty-injustice

Of the top of my head I am thinking Inter on Perotti last season, Spal, possibly Dzeko against Napoli and yesterday. Time somebody in management speaks for Roma. If this happens with clubs like Inter or Juve they would be rightly bitching after the first call against them to pressure the officials in future. Pallotta should be making a scene about this.

wm72 repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  12. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it looks like the work of our " PSG - Lover " is done. Lower the standard so low, so the fans will be happy with the odd win against Lazio every season. Pathetic, but not unexpected that so many of you bought the crap he and your " American Heroes " have been feeding us.

While Inter, Milan and Lazio continue to humiliate us - we are getting worse and worse. A new coach is not going to change that - even though our " Zeman-lover " will never be able to handle this club, do not expect miracles from crap. To be honest 99.9 % of this forum should be ashamed of themselves and apologise for promoting the propaganda rubbish their " American Heroes " are shouting out all the time. You see it all the time, just look at their social media crap.

Matrim and OldLady repped this.
  13. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Actually we played a good game, unfortunate not to win.

14. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You sound like a Laziale, Monchi's HR slave or this is just a bad joke.

L'immortale repped this.
  15. decola

decola Member+

Sep 12, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The quality of poster on this forum has gone to such shit the last few years, @LordNelson is a good example of that

MotorcycleGang repped this.
  16. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Agreed. When you cannot beat his arguments down with arguments of your own, the second best thing is insulting the man.

Indeed the quality of the posters has go down, but not in the way the Moronchi-lovers would think. Mirrors suck, eh guys?

L'immortale and LordNelson repped this.
  17. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do not blame me for been correct.

L'immortale repped this.
  18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ignore feature is fantastic, filter trolls like him. As long as people keep responding to him he'll keep coming back. He doesn't care about Roma or any other team, he simply comes around to poke and get attention.

MotorcycleGang and decola repped this.
  19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One can argue that Monchi has not done a good job and I'm one who has said that. That aside there is more than enough talent to beat bottom feeders like SPAL, Bologna, etc and that's 100% EDFs fault.

It's not an "either-or" situation, both men are responsible for our poor start but EDF is totally responsible for dropping points to terrible teams.

20. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The thing is - the sporting director has a very big say on who coaches the team, so that's on him as well. He also have the responsibility for what the squad is. So if blame is to be shared, I'd say it's 125% Moronchi and 75% EDF.

We have a limited/not very experienced coach who has to work with a squad that's getting progressively worse in quality with every consecutive transfer window. The point is - even the best of coaches would've struggled to get results when the two of the team's greatest qualities - the very dominating midfield and the confident and commanding GK were replaced by players that are both not as good in their football talent, nor in their leadership skills, nor in their level of dedication to give 110% on the pitch.

We could've sold literally anyone - anyone! - besides Strootman and Naingollan, and we ended up selling the guys who helped everyone else to play better. I understand the Allison sale and would abstain on commenting on the embarrassing replacement we've got for it, but the midfield part was pretty obvious from the get go.

Only the 4 Moronchi-lovers didn't figure it out for 5 months, but they'll get it eventually.

21. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't agree with a lot of what @LordNelson says --especially that Pallotta owning Roma has not been a huge net positive for the club considering other possibilities-- but he's not really a troll, i.e. just posting complete bs only to get a reaction. He has strong opinions but I find that he usually states them with a bit a humor.

22. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think you should rewatch a bunch of last season's games and read what people wrote about those two post-match. Especially Strootman.

23. Matrim

Matrim Member+

Feb 10, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I remember it well enough. This would serve only to prove that people weren't giving those two their due.

In today's football, what happens in the middle of the pitch determines what happens everywhere else, more so than before, and we were in the unique situation where we were strong in midfield( as in giving the initiative to the opposition less often that your average team) even when we weren't excelling in attack. It was a reliable situation that wouldn't let the likes of SPAL too much time to think on the ball.

And since we've ruined that - now we have to deal with opposition that has more freedom, space and options in midfield, and is not afraid of Strootman or Naingollan's intensity, and is also playing against guys who aren't as versatile in both phases of the game.

This ruins both the comfort in defensive and in attacking plays. The current Roma is afraid of the ball. This has never been the case since I am a Roma fan - 18 years or so. It's rather pathetic tbh.

24. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I get what you're saying but even though those two now seem to have been responsible for our good defense last year (along with our back four playing above their ability and - of course - DDR) it was clear to everyone that their limited contribution to our offensive play was a big problem that needed to be solved. Don't forget how the 3:0 vs Barca overshadowed an otherwise average at best season. Even now I'd say that changing Stroot&Ninja with Nzonzi&Pastore (if the latter could finally stay healthy) was a good decision. We're just seeing that we should've improved our defense too where a starting CB should be the #1 priority for our winter transfer window.

Hustle and Flow, wm72 and shiboboo repped this.
  25. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last two summers we took cheap CD solutions because Monchi's policy is not to invest heavily in defenders because he believes you can use tactics to have an effective defence more easily than elsewhere on the pitch.

However, we have seen that this policy is not working and we need to invest in a new CD urgently, something which would have been easier in the summer when it should have been done.