MD1: Roma vs Genoa (August 25th, 2019)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by L'immortale, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lads, Cristante sucks....end of. Sorry. Thankfully with Diawara and Veretout in our ranks we have, hopefully, far better options in that role.

Positives were Dzeko, but how long that lasts remains to be seen. Lo Pelle had a very solid game for me and looked like prime Pjanic at times out there. Pau Lopez distribution was refreshing, almost saved the pen and cant be blamed for us shipping 3 goals in any way.

With a couple of competent CBs we win that game at a canter. Unfortunately John Jesus and Fazio are walking mistakes most of the time and so....................3-3.

bridgefour repped this.
  2. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Cristante was the least of our problems. His ball into Dzeko was great.

Shen-O repped this.
  3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    True, but we are far away from what this team should be in a couple of months.

Pau
    Zappa - Mancini - New CB - Spina
    Veretout - Diawara/Pellegrini

Other than the attacking four, this a completely a new team and some patience is needed. Even Lorenzo is playing in a new position. It remains to be seen if the defensive issues will be solved, but I wouldn’t write off this team just yet.

4. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    He had some bad turnovers and wasn’t great defensively, but I saw improvement from him today. Unlike last year when was hiding from the ball, he was shouting for passes and making himself available. He also played progressive passes that he didn’t last year.

I think he should have moved this summer since I doubt he will get the time he needs at Roma, but he’s not a lost cause.

shiboboo repped this.
  5. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Speaking of Pellegrini, he had a great game yesterday apart from defensive duties. I’ve been calling to move him back since early last season, but a shiny start blinded everyone from how useless he was as no.10.

He needs improve his awareness and be more active in winning 2nd balls/winning duels, but I think he can develop into a nice pivot player.

6. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think that’s very harsh on Pellegrini. He is young and at times looked great as a 10. He faded out just as everyone on the team, but he was better Zaniolo who might as well not have been on the pitch when he wasn’t scoring last year.

He’s doing well deeper but I’d be intrigued to see him as a 10 with Veretout and Diawara behind.

7. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Maybe I'm glorifying Pjanic's time when he was here but besides LoPel's killer ball into Under, there wasn't much else that was prime Pjanic for me.
    Admittedly I don't rate LoPel as high as most others seem to on this board. At times he is a difference maker and has shown quality, too often I feel like he is a decent player that's just out there putting in a shift. I haven't seen much to think he could be the protagonist in a really good midfield, I see his ceiling at more likely a piece in a really good midfield not necessarily the focal point.

He is young and certainly dealt with some obstacles in his development with coaching/position changes etc...so maybe I'm completely off base.

8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think so. He is 23 so consistency game to game with difference making quality is not fair to expect from him yet. At 25/26 I expect to see a truly top class/world class midfielder who can be captain material.

If he's still putting in hit and miss performances like what we see today then he will never go beyond being just a solid player. That would still be a very useful player though all things considered.

muptonfish repped this.
  9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    1166369432282828800 is not a valid tweet id

10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain

11. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  12. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    If he scored there, we would have been guarenteed to see no more Florenzi at fullback this year.

Sad.

Andreas and Midfield General repped this.