McBride To Rosenberg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sweeper, Jul 31, 2002.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: McBride To Rosenberg

Fixed your post.

2. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Ignore lists...

Worth the money? Not worth the money? Worth the money? Not worth the money?

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    Also in Norway, virtually everyone speaks english, at least those younger than 50 or so.

4. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Nearing retirement? How so?

McBride has just recently turned 30 and barring serious injury could still play another 4 to 6 years.

5. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Well, if he shares your priorities, I guess he not only should stay in the US but he better make sure he stays in Columbus. In some of those other MLS cities, there's actually lots of people speaking different languages. And there's even different cultures in those cities -- I'm guessing exposure to different cultures isn't a "positive environment" for kids in your view. Something to consider -- some of us Americans believe living overseas and learning other languages is a very positive experience for our kids.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Uhm, in picking it's players who benefitted from the WC, the Guardian noted that McBride is only 20. So that's fixed then. He's got a decade plus of play left.
    Norway, in a general sense, would be great. But in Trondheim don't they tie the boots around the old ladies necks before throwing them into the fjord?
    I'm not sure that's a great thing for a kid to see. And i doubt that the fine people at Monty Python would have lied about it.

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, I know. joke that obviously missed.

9. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    too short for it...

10. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, leaving the USA to live in England, or Italy, or France, or even Germany is one thing.

Norway?

It's not like the guy is making 40k. He's doing fine, and he's a bright, articulate guy, and could certainly do some broadcasting when he's done.

Every move overseas isn't necessarily a good move.

12. cheriffe

cheriffe New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    southern ohio
    this is pure speculation, but I think McBride is a sharp guy and probably does smart things with his money. I doubt that he needs to worry about college money for his kid.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What's not speculatin is that McBride really wants to play in Europe. He's said so to anyone who will listen recently. His is the type of case where the league needs to work with the player to find him a spot overseas. I know he's under contract here, but when players are unhappy in a situation, teams worldwide find them new places to play, esp. good soliders like McBride. Not saying give him away, but if he wants to move any and every where else, MLS needs to send him on his way.

14. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    But for international soccer, he will get two or three years at most. He would not be in another WC Finals. Of coursem he can continue to play in the A-League liked Waldo for 5 more years, but he would be earning much less.

15. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Well, last year Waldo led the Fire in scoring and would still be here, if it wasn't for the nasty salary cap which also forced the Fire to lose Diego Gutierez. Despite all the development he has helped us with Hristo is KILLING us with his max salary. The only reason Waldo resorted to the A-League was because their salary offer was far above anything the Fire or Galaxy could offer, not because his talent is gone.

As for the 2-3 years at most I'd beg to differ, I believe that there is a fair chance he will fill the Joe Max Moore roll in 2006 and it will be quite hard to phase him out during CONCACAF qualifying. If McBride stays in shape I can't see his game really regressing in the next 4 years, he'll still be a solid target man.

16. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I am not sure that this is renewed interest on behalf of Everton, or just the writer speculating that Everton is still "monitoring the situation".

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with the new transfer rules, if McB isn't sold before Aug 31 (i.e., if the league does NOT gut Columbus midseason), then he can't go abroad until Dec 1 (or is it Jan 1)?

IOW, the MLS schedule and the new transfer rules are a real problem for veterans. For a player like Beasley, who would be purchased for the future, a team would buy McBride for right now. Which leaves MLS with the choice of selling him mid-season (MLS) or midseason (European league.)

Both suck.

18. Chester FC

Chester FC New Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Could Everton sigh him before the August 31st deadline, but then loan him back to the Crew for the rest of the MLS season, afterwhich he returns to Everton (and is eligible to play)?

Not sure if this would be Kosher under UEFA rules, but it seems this way you have your cake and eat it too.

19. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perenially around the top of the world table as far as standard of living goes (I believe), if that's what you're getting at.

I would not go to Norway if I was already married, because there are just too many hot viking girls there.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you reckon the women are better in Copenhagen or Oslo? ;)

SKÜL!!

21. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ran into a few Norweigen girls on vacation while I was visiting Copenhagen. That is what you call the best of both worlds.

22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I met Norwegian National Team player Uni Lehn here. She is playing for the Carolina Courage women's team. Very nice looking lady. ;)

23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Danish women? ugggghhhhhh.

Norwegian women?!!!???!?!?!? :)

24. Achilles

Achilles New Member