Maybe it's time to stop saying MLS is "improving"

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by MisterJawn_215, Feb 23, 2018.

1. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    Face it, MLS is NOT improving at all and hasn't for over 10 years. The quality is not getting better and they're only hiding the faults with more DP and TAM signings and other bull___t. The league is worse at developing players and MLS performance in the CCL is getting worse every year and this year is really pathetic.

Maybe the league should stop expanding and talking garbage about closing the gap with Liga MX and other top leagues because the opposite is happening. The gap is wider and other "new" leagues in China and Australia have improved faster than MLS over the last 10 years. Or better yet why don't MLS just fold so we can have a real soccer pyramid with authentic clubs? Anyone tired of this league yet? For me MLS has become a goddamn egg on my face when I talk soccer with other people. I thought the 2016 CCL going 0-4 against Liga MX would wake some people up and put in massive changes but unfortunately the league doesn't care about improving and things are even worse 2 years later.

Why is anyone a fan of MLS or people on this forum still can speak positively about the league now?

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, look who's back...

Kejsare, Todorojo and sitruc repped this.
  3. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    Listen, this is a serious discussion after a pathetic CCL performance tonight and if you're going to make snarky comments toward me then please be quiet.

Master O and IvanIV repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Knockout ties in continental tournaments take place over two legs.

harrylee773 and Kejsare repped this.
  5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like to overreact after a two-game series ends rather than in the middle. You can jump now. Maybe you'll be found prescient, and maybe not, though I doubt it would change any of your additional thoughts if MLS teams did well against the slate of teams we're facing.

Also: feel free to just type out the word bullshit if you like.

Kejsare repped this.
  6. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    That doesn't excuse poor performances. And if MLS only barely scrapes by against Central America that means the league isn't really strong and would be destroyed by Liga MX again. Aren't you tired of watching the same thing every year?

IvanIV repped this.
  7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He doesn't need to type the word; it flows gracefully from his posts already.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if we won tonight's games, you were going to post the same thing anyway?

mschofield repped this.
  9. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    Do you think they would've won given the way they played? And yes, I would still post the same because they were still abysmal performances on the field. Getting lucky wins against Central American teams doesn't prove much.

10. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    Fine, I'll just write bullshit. Happy now? Yes, bullshit flows not so gracefully from MLS office and Don Garber claiming that the league is improving and will become a top league in the world and bullshit from the new soccer president saying USL is the best D2 league in the world.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  11. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I was down at the New Amsterdam
    Starin' at this yellow-haired girl
    MisterJawn strikes up a conversation...

MisterJawn and me tell each other fairy tales
    And we stare at the beautiful women

And we agree that that league is not improving, contrary to what media and fanboys try to make people believe. What the new Pres said about D2 was shameful. The media and fans need to stop trying to put wool over people's eyes. The proof is in the pudding.

Sha la, la, la, la, la, la, la
    Yeah
    Uh, huh
    Yeah

Kejsare repped this.
  12. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    Well, the Canadian Premier League is launching in 2019 and you can sure bet it will surpass MLS within 5 years. I see CPL closing the gap on Liga MX than MLS. Maybe MLS teams should play the 1st round of the CCL against Caribbean sides because that's their actual level!

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone just stop. We know this guy is a troll. Everyone knows everything he has posted in this thread is totally nonsense. Don't waste your time arguing and making this thread live on. Just ignore the troll, move on, and let this thread fade away. He will soon follow

Big Bopper and Ferdinand Cesarano repped this.
  14. MisterJawn_215

United States
    Feb 17, 2018
    So anyone not complimentary about MLS or US soccer is a troll? Maybe it's time to be honest as soccer fans and realize where our shitty domestic league really stands compared to the world.

IvanIV repped this.
  15. Pollard7545

Pollard7545 Member

Philadelphia Union
    May 17, 2009
    Bear, Delaware
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of MLS I can still see whatever flaws there are in the league and hold a dialog about it as well.....I would love to see the league take a leap past hockey and baseball but sometimes the league itself holds the league back.....I would like to see MLS slow down with expansion and make the teams that are here now better and more solid.....

Master O, Big Bopper and IvanIV repped this.
  16. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the passion from the OP. If you truly didn't care, you wouldn't be so hurt. I think it's fine to expect the best from your own.

CCL isn't built with MLS teams in mind. The round of 16 is during our preseason. With that being said, keep an eye on Toronto.

17. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all! As a matter of fact pointing out flaws and problems with the league is encouraged as its needed to encourage debate, but don't confuse that with what you are doing which is making wild "hot takes" for no reason other to start "shit". MLS looked pretty rusty so far right? Maybe you haven't noticed its the preseason for the league? If you knew that you wouldn't make the statement you've made and even then. Most of the MLS teams not playing MLS teams have had what many would consider a "good" result. While we're at it why don't we talk about how "mediocre" the Prem is I mean Man U could even beat Sevilla in Spain!!! :rolleyes:

Master O, Kejsare and Ismitje repped this.
  18. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    I for one hope MLS folds so that authentic clubs that people care about can sprout up in Atlanta, Seattle, Toronto, Portland, Orlando, etc.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's nothing serious in anything you've ever posted on this board, including this discussion

Kejsare repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Final straw for me. I'm switching over to Major League Rugby.

21. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Why would you want to scrap a league? It is not perfect (which is?) but you can still fix it

you can do a soft pro/rel (top teams goes to CCL etc )

My question is the nature of the relationship betweem USSF/MLS/SUM could MLS lose its D1 status? Or MLS has some sort of guarantee?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  22. miketd1

miketd1 Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Expansion has certainly hurt the product. However, MLS needed to expand in order to wall off potential competitors in major markets.

Now that the land grab wars are over, they can get back to the business of improving the on-field product.

The next decade is going to be an interesting one now that the infrastructure is seemingly in place. It will be especially exciting to see what fruit the DAs bear.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    But wait. Isn’t this what you want for the Cosmos? The ability to scout and sign international talent to make your team better? All it takes is the owner to open his wallet. Nothing stopping him at all.

Tell me, what league/team doesn’t rely on highly paid imports to help their results?

In fact, international signings have been what many MLS fans have been asking for, for years. And not the Caribbean & Central American ones that were foisted upon us from about 2004-14. But true South American and European talent.

Yup.

My suggestion to you is, if you don’t like the way things are run now: get involved. Get off your soapbox, head down to your local youth program and get involved in the running of the program. Get elected to the board, get involved with US Soccer and effect change.

Most of us thought the likes of Wynalda, Solo and Martino were off their rocker, but at least they’ve done something. You are just a keyboard warrior trying to start shit. Uninformed shit as well.

Just because they have p/r in Europe doesn’t meant it needs to be in the USA. In fact, if you care so much about p/r I’d suggest you just go ahead and move there, but since Canada is starting it’s own league, maybe you won’t have to move as far.

You don’t like MLS. No need to shit on it in every post. One good thing though, unlike the DC United “fan” who feels the need to do the same about the team in every post, I can put you on ignore. I can’t with him, he’s a moderator.

Nice knowing ya.

Thx,

Jay!

bigredfutbol, Bluecat82 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  24. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today is the first day of the rest of his life!

Matthew Johnson repped this.
  25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Actually, it is built with those teams in mind. CONCACAF was ready to move the CCL to the fall so there wouldn't be a big gap until the CWC, but Garber said no. The scheduling is no excuse.

Add the fact that the league gets 5 spots, it further shows that the CCL favors it, and has those teams in mind above the others.

Hill Giant and monere repped this.