Maurcio "El Joe" Arroyo News & Comments

Discussion in 'Colombia' started by crzdcolombian, Jan 29, 2009.

1. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Re: Maurcio "El Joey" Arroyo News & Comments

he started 2 games in the middle of the season and was on the bench alot but the past 4-5 games he hasnt even been called.... might be injured?

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

he playd the whole 2nd half in his team 1-1 tie today

3. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

mejor volante 6 de colombia

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Chicos - Alguien puede actualizarnos sobre este jugador?

5. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Hey amigos!

I'm supporting Aris in the Greek league and a Colombian guy called Mauricio Arroyo that played for Cartagena and the Colombian U-20 National Team is on a tryout now with Aris. We have Hector Raul Cuper as a coach and many latin players.

Could you please describe Arroyo and what kind of player he is? What kind of things is he good at and which things are his weaknesses? Is he a player with big potential? He was a captain of the youth national teams so he should have potential. I would be very thankful if you guys could tell me everything about him. Thanks in advance!

According to this site there were some teams from Holland that wanted him and that he played for the National team as well.

http://community.livejournal.com/4colombiafooty/16251.html

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Oh wow! Good for Joey!

Arroyo plays as a holding midfielder in the centre of the park. He's been the captain of our U20 side playing in that role, and as you'll see within the thread there are a lot of folks that think he's pretty solid within our forum.

I haven't seen him play for ages, but I recall him having good leadership and tactical sense, but maybe not being the fastest guy in the world.

7. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

He is one of my favorites young players, he is very organized in his style, has a good passing hability and is a leader!

Aris will play in europe this season?

8. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yep, we finished 4th in the league and went to the Greek Cup final. We will play in Europa League this season.

I hope Arroyo is in good shape and can convince Cuper, he sounds like a good player for the future.

9. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

Yes we're playing in the second qualifying round of the Europa League. I saw that he didn't play a lot in Tarragona, did he have any injuries or something?

10. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

How slow/fast is he? If you could compare him to someone else playing in that position, Yaya Toure, Mascherano, Gilberto Silva for example. Does he have the same playing style of any of those or any other player in that position?

11. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

Does he get International spot or has any european passport?

12. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

He doesn't have EU passport.

13. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Well i know about a injury of him....and he wasnt 100 % fitnees when he leave cartagena

well ....like pirlo, veron.....that style...

14. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

not quite....

he is 3 levels below those major league players, c'mon....lets be real with the youngster.

15. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yeah of course I know that he is not as good as any of those world class players, I just wanted to know what kind of player and it's possible to compare him to someone :)

But it's good if he got the style of Pirlo :D Does he help alot in offense and can he score goals with his head or long range shots?

16. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

He means that he plays that style, not that he is at that level, at least i hope thats what he means.

17. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

very athletic and quick learner if healthy

see post #11 for my opinion- feel free to translate it;)

young and we must ask: is hector cupper a good coach with youngsters?
    great coach any way.....I wish he can coach in argentina or colombia one of these days

18. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

At this moment hes the best coach in Greek Superleague and yes he wants young and ambitious players to work with, and not old big names.
    He was the one that send Ronaldo away from Inter.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

But that was a big error :p

20. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

Well i think not when he didnt want to train hard as his other teammates did :p
    And after his injury changed a lot to worse.

21. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Aris also has Freddy Adu which was specifically requested by Cuper when he was at inter milan at that time freddy was 14 and the famous offer of $1 million for adu came about. There was an article i don't remember where it was but it mentions that Cuper thought Adu had poor training as a youth and thats what led to him not being to adjust to european football. Anyway, this is not about Adu the point is that in the article Cuper made several points regarding how to properly bring a young player along, which leads me to believe that he probably does work well with youngsters.

22. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yeah maybe, but Cuper thinks that everyone should train hard and players that think they are above the others have no space in the team.

It would be nice to have a Colombian player at the team, I think we never had one and we had players from almost every country in South America:D

23. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake

a solid coach!!

I always wonder, why cupper did not have top italian or spaniard sides? in the last 3 seasons
    even EPL look at spain for coaches to help the boring league they had, the one that made notorious for runs and croces to head it in:eek:

24. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Yeah he is a great coach for sure. He recently turned down Boca Juniors(even if it's his favorite team in Argentina) for the third time since he want's to remain at Aris.

He could coach a top team in a top league for sure as you say. I guess his reputation were not the same after some less successful seasons in Parma and the Georgian National Team. But before that he actually was considered one of the best coaches in Europe. After he took Valencia to the Champions League final twice he could almost choose any team he wanted in Europe(he chose Inter).

But he is a great coach for younger guys, it was probably him that wanted to bring Arroyo and try him at the preseason. We will keep you guys informed on how it goes for "El Joey" (I like this nickname :D ).

25. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008

He's not as hard nosed of a defender as any of those you mention and he does not have the vision nor a magical foot like veron and pirlo. But he does have a little bit of everything.

For me he's an extremely polished kid that distributes very fast and accurate passes(on the ground, not like pirlo) and defends very clean and efficiently. He is not physically intimidating in speed nor strength, but that does not take away from his overall game. Most of the game you will find him roaming ahead of the defenders, swarming to the ball, and organizing the team from behind. He showed ability (here and there) to be able to read out an attack, snipe away the ball and follow it up with incredible service upfield.

In all honesty I haven't seen him play for a year now so I have no idea how he's progressed/digressed.

How is the midfield at your team? Assuming he makes it and impresses, would he be in contention to play right away?