Matthew Olosunde at Preston North End

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sure our next winger who scores a headed winner will be showing similarities to Sergio Ramos lol

Look, it was a nice goal, but I absolutely stand by my assessment that its silly to start talking about similarities with a player who pulls off that type of move (maybe not with the goal, but that type of move) multiple times per game. Olosunde has done it once in his career. There are no real footballing similarities between Olosunde and Dembele other than skin color and speed. Olosunde is a defense-oriented full-back, Dembele is an offense-oriented attacking midfielder. They just aren't comparable, whether they had one play in their careers that looked similar or not.

butters59 repped this.
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Guy on the internet who digs in when he's wrong)

frankburgers and superdave repped this.
  3. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Man @ussoccer97531 you've been attacked a few times recently for having no background in the game, and I don't think that's fair of people, but you're genuinely showing your naivety for the game if you going to intentionally misinterpret my post so grossly. These players have very apparent similarities on the ball, thats not even debatable. Dembele not only didn't create the style of play (lanky but technical dribbling), it's also not why he's such a great player. If you wan't Google either Jay Jay Okocha or Garrincha both play in a similar fashion to Dembele too. But comparing things like this is just something soccer players do in an attempt to classify aspects of players games.

For an example I was compared to Beckham by my ex-professional coach as a kid because I had a nice free kick, and had a hell of through ball. But I'm going to let you in on a secret... I never had a chance at Manchester United.

Don't take the basic comparison for more than what it was. If we put this highlight in a compilation of Dembele skills it would look indistinguishable and I'm not even trying make comparisons on their physical appearances.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually, I do have a background in the game, and I considered myself to be fairly good, I just don't brag about it every chance I get. Don't let that Giggsy guy and his baseless attacks behind his hidden credentials fool anyone.

I'm not naive what you are trying to say, I just don't agree with you. I've watched Olosunde play many times, over 15 and maybe close to 20. I've not once marveled at his dribbling ability in a creative sense. I've never noticed that type of dribbling from him, except for that goal. I definitely understand where the comparison is coming from, I just think its off base to be any type of realistic comparison, considering I don't think there are consistent similarities in how they play. I wasn't trying to attack you or anger you, I just found this discussion silly.

5. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    #130 Kagler24, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    You havent seen him play this year, no one has. If you dont like the comparison that is fine. But you dont need to throw his accomplishments under the bus to make your point (part time player??). Hes 18 and plays for the U23s at freaking Man U. On top of that hes played the majority of this season as a winger, a position he hardly ever played coming up in the US. Oh and he goes to Oxford as well. Kid may not make it Manchester, but hes got a bright future. People are allowed to be excited and make stylistic comparisons without the inevitable "let me show you how much i know about soccer by bashing a simple comparison." Nonsense.

If Man U thinks a guy who exclusively played outside back is good enough to play as a winger for them he obviously has some ball skills. I can remember several occasions with the U17s where he created chances by beating defenders with clever moves and long strides.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't think I've bashed him. I can pull up many posts where I was complimentary of him. I've said I think he could be a good footballer, I don't think I'd be considered an Olosunde-basher, but in terms of a comparison to Dembele, Dembele blows him out of the water. He blows most of our players out of the water, so its not anything specifically against Olosunde.

But the facts are that he has started only 55% of Man United U-23's games (i.e. part time) and more of his starts for Man United U-23's have come at RB than wide midfield. You are right that I haven't seen him play for Man United U-23's, but I think it would be painting a dishonest picture to act like that fact means we can't question how he'd compare to a player who plays a complete opposite game to what he played as recently as 1.5 years ago.

7. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    All of Man U-23 games are streamed. I watch him play a bit and I see him like Yedlin, A rb who is good and fast enough offensively to not look bad at rw, but he did show some skill going forward with the u-17's.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  8. hookem88

hookem88 Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Unless it's Junior Flores. Or Haji Wright. Or any player that you deem good. Then we're all good with making baseless comparisons.

Stop holding other people to a different standard than yourself just because you disagree with them.

superdave repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You didn't even address anything I said, just a rant about why you don't like me, not surprising considering half your posts are about me.

Show me where I've once compared a defense-oriented right-back to an attacking winger, and I'll offer up an apology. If not, why don't you offer up an apology for your constant stalking?

10. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He's actually an attacking midfielder and Richie Williams switched him to right back at the residency. So the comparison to Dembele is a very fair one...kudos to whoever noticed a glimpse of his past!

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, no, he's not an attacking midfielder. If all his coaches at different levels and teams play him as a defender, thats what he is. And I don't think anyone would seriously assert he's more of an attacking midfielder than defender, either, unless they are just trying to intentionally mislead to help their point. He probably was switched because he wasn't very good as an attacking midfielder, which I think is evident in how he plays the game, and others have agreed with me (look above). And thats not to say he's a bad player, I think he's a good player, but please, don't try to sell me that he's a good attacking midfielder, and that goal is indicative of any apt comparison to Dembele.

12. soccerndo

soccerndo Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He went to Florida as a midfielder and came out as a right defender. So there're times when he shows glimpses of the attacking midfielder he once was. I'm giving you his evolution as a player. That's why those comparisons are not so far fetched SIR! Danny Barbir was a #9 and he was switched to central defense by the same guy who thought this kid could help him better as a right back.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ussoccer97531 its amazing how stubborn and tone deaf you are and how after all this time, you still don't possess the insight or understanding to comprehend that the original comparison was almost explicitly in regards to dribbling mechanics.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its also amazing that you feel the need to try to police me (despite not being a moderator) and also talk down to me about once per week. Read the discussion. Your assessment of what's happened is once again way off. You did this in the Carter-Vickers thread a week ago. I didn't mention you, I didn't quote your post until after you quoted mine, why don't you mind your own business and let people have their own discussions rather than trying to jump into every discussion and take it off topic with some personal rant about someone else?

15. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't like the way I post, you can simply find another forum. If I feel your insight is consistently trash, I'll say so if I choose to.

This isn't your own personal sand box where you get to post hundreds of times a week, and then tell others to mind their own business when they post.

I know you lack the self-awareness to comprehend that, but oh well.

superdave and hookem88 repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Don't want to interrupt this wonderful pissing match but did someone call Garrincha "lanky"?
    That's Garrincha like GARRINCHA (5'6" with one leg 2" shorter than another and super low center of gravity) or some 12 years old that I don't know?

TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I used the wrong word (like I often do) but it was more because I couldn't get the exact word I wanted. I meant the awkwardish way of movement, like not something that's super strange but different from how most soccer players look on the ball for sure. Garrincha had the added technical ability as well. I realize this explanation may further cloud things but I'm having a hard time explaining exactly what I mean with words.

Winoman repped this.
  18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the Christ is going on here.

19. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like not smooth on the ball? Jerky?

Winoman and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  20. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Not sure what you two are on about above, but are folks not allowed to have differentiating opinions.

I too have seen Olusunde play many matches and have directly conversed with some very close to United about him. What I'm hearing is much like this thread - the opinions seem to be split on him, both within the club and outside of the club.

For me, the times I have seen him play, I was not overly impressed. People go on about his athleticism, but he has looked slow many times I have seen him play. However, I have to give him credit, there have been a number of occasions that he does something absolutely brilliant out of the blue that makes me question my initial opinion of him.

In the end, I don't think he is Manchester United quality, but we should all be very happy that he is getting matches a pretty high level. I think he will come good with a little time - I just don't see him at a club as big as United.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  22. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Keane wasn't see as United good but he's been fantastic for Burnley and he's going to get a big move sooner or later.

The education and exposure he's getting at United is 2nd to only a few clubs in the world. He's a better player for having gone over there and I'm looking forward to seeing just where he ends up for club and country.

23. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Keane may not have been seen as United quality but he was still very highly rated within his group. He won Player of the Year for their reserve team ahead of Jesse Lingard the year they won the national title.

24. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Completely agree. The big question is how long does the club and himself give it in the system. As a 19 year old, he is in one of the best environments in world football. However, within the next 12 months or so, he needs to start getting matches at a higher level than reserve football to continue his upward climb. Whether or not that will happen at United remains to be seen, but the club is different than it was under SAF and it is much tougher for the youth to break in to the first team.