Matthew Olosunde at Preston North End

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon has made the necessary (if he wants a national team future) transition to rightback at RSL and is entrenching himself as the starter.

Personally I think that sure beats the hell out playing PL2 games for Liverpool at right wing, where he has no future, either positionally or club wise.

If Lennon has the requisite skills he'll find his way back to Europe, at much higher level than the Liverpool U-23 squad.

2. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would agree, the move to right back will give him the best chance for long-term career success.

Gacm32 repped this.
  3. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update on Matthew and NYRB. From a piece in The Athletic Soccer by Kristian Dyer. Looking to make a move back to NYRB. (I'm not posting the link to the piece since it's paywalled, but I'll post the relevant bits below.)

Multiple sources tell The Athletic that Olosunde has been in discussions with the league about a move this summer, specifically to rejoin the Red Bulls. Olosunde played with the Red Bulls Academy at the U-16 and U-18 level and did feature in one match in 2014 with the New York Red Bulls II, the club’s reserve team that plays in the United Soccer League (USL).

One source tells The Athletic that Olosunde was originally seeking a short-term loan to MLS that would see him come back to the league to get some matches then depart later in the summer for preseason with United, where he has traveled with the team and made the bench for a handful of Premier League matches. That idea was nixed by the Red Bulls, who are eyeing the player for a longer term deal.

Whether that is simply a loan deal for the rest of the season or a transfer remains unclear. The Red Bulls remain involved in dialogue with Olosunde and the two sides are “making progress,” according to one source, on bringing the right back over this summer.

There are other options for Olosunde beyond MLS, with one source saying that the young American is also open to a loan move to the English Championship in search of matches.

5. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know the Red Bulls have Lade. But they are also waiting for Murrillo to come back from the WC. Right back may not be as open for another. Actually Murrillo played ok for Panama. Would be tuff to unseat him, barring injury.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Murillo isn't getting unseated as the starter, but there's a very good chance he gets sold this summer.

7. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real question for me is what happens next season when Duncan comes back. If he makes a full recovery from his ACL surgery, he might be tough for Olosunde to beat out.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The association with Man United and some success with their reserves should give him some luster for a decent European loan gig. Championship is a perfect type of level, but they can't be trusted to integrate their own players let alone other's, so I'd be leery of a move there.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the Eredivisie or Belgian Jupiler would be favorable destinations for his development. Don't want him to get locked in to MLS, but if winds up back there nobody is a better option than NYRB.

9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

scholes181818, sakibomb523, TxEx and 3 others repped this.
  10. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good idea honestly for him depending on the exact club he lands on. Antonee was on a bad team in the championship last year and he did well for himself. So I don't see why Olosunde couldn't have a similar year.

gunnerfan7, Gacm32, TarHeels17 and 3 others repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Any hints about a loan destination?

12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If Murrillo leaves they will need a right back. Lade is good but we can do better. Is Olosunde better? That is the question.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lade is not good, but Olosunde to New York died a couple of weeks ago anyway.

Gacm32 and wrench repped this.
  14. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw some mention of lower leagues in England, but no specific teams were mentioned, so I figure it is just your typical silly season scuttlebutt.

http://sportsdayonline.com/olosunde-attracts-loan-offers-in-england/

15. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Is this surprising to anyone? Answer = No. He's never been big on playing youth or cared to give them positive reinforcement.

17. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s been pretty obvious that Olosunde doesn’t have a future at Man United for a while, whether or not Mourinho is in charge. The sooner he leaves, the better.

18. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may seem weird, but does anybody know how much longer he needs to obtain his degree from Oxford. If I recall correctly, that was a big selling point to get him to sign with ManU in the first place.

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    College is always ruining our American soccer prospects.

20. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that damn book learnin be makin these boys weak.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but there’s another level to my joke.

22. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been on BS long enough to know what you’re talking about.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May explain why he wasn't with the U23s today:

24. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
  25. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    What's up with Matthew? Still out with injury it appears. Needs a loan to get out of Man U, ASAP.