Matt Pyzdrowski at Varbergs BoIS FC (Sweden)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by prowazekii, Feb 28, 2011.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Testudo and m vann repped this.
  2. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Sorry about the large amount of short updates but I just read on the Helsingborg forum that they are trying to shop around Pär Hansson to various MLS clubs, so no matter if they're successful or not it still indicates that they are looking to have Pyzdrowski as their starting keeper next season.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice, good news for Pyzdrowski. Helsingborg is a pretty big club in Sweden, right?

4. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Yes, they are quite successful historically, sixth place in the all-time Allsvenskan table. However it should be said like I have hinted on earlier that they currently are probably at their weakest that they have been in the last ten years due to the wreckless spending of the people who was previously in charge. So there's a big difference compared to only a couple of years ago for example when Bedoya played for them.

I think realistically they will end up in the bottom half of the table this season but they are good enough to stay clear of the relegation battle. Former swedish national team player and Helsingborg legend Henrik Larsson has taken over as manager this year and he seems to be a good choice for making tough decisions when cutting players and then making the remaining average players (by Helsingborg standards) come together and perform from a more underdog angle then previous years.

autobus39 repped this.
  5. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Here's another interview with Pyzdrowski where he talks about his thoughts on being either the starting or backup goalkeeper:

Testudo and m vann repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    572081936841224192 is not a valid tweet id

Testudo repped this.
  7. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Pyzdrowski at Helsingborg IF?
    @bungadiri

The muse is not upon me if someone has something funny. I feel like it's in there...

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Pyzdrowski Assimilated by Helsingborgs IF

Matt Pyzdrowski joins the Helsingborg

something about Van Helsing

I'm just reusing the suggestions from when Bedoya was there

Testudo repped this.
  9. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    The other keeper broke his finger and will be out for five weeks. So this is a good opportunity for Pyzdrowski to start all the remaining Swedish Cup games and also maybe the beginning of the league.

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Testudo and Hararea repped this.
  12. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Pyzdrowski has played a few games earlier this season but always due to the first choice keeper being out. Today however he got to start with both keepers available which the papers noted was the first time in seven years that the other keeper had not started when available. It turned out to be a good choice from the manager as Pyzdrowski made a high quality penalty save which can be seen below and Helsinborg won the game 2-1.

I didn't watch this game but I did watch the previous one where Pyzdrowski also played against my club Djurgården in a 2-2 draw and I thought he did well in that game. With the other keeper most likely leaving at the end of the year due to his massive salary I guess the club will now be deciding if Pyzdrowski is the guy they want to be their number one next season so they know what kind of quality/age they will be looking for in the new keeper they bring in during the winter transfer window.

m vann and BostonRed repped this.
  13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and Friedel'sAccent repped this.
  14. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo repped this.
  15. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Good news for Pyzdrowski in that Helsingborg signed canadian Tomer Chencinski as their other keeper for next year. Pyzdrowski is quite alot better then him and I think this pretty much solidifies that Matt will be the clubs starting keeper for the 2016 season.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. Did he end up being the starter this season?

17. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    He did at the end of the season, but it was kind of in a "we're phasing out the old starting keeper so let's see if Pyzdrowski is up for it"-way. He did well though when I saw him play.

Here's sort of an interesting video filmed from Pyzdrowskis first person type of view after one of the last games of the season away against Hammarby had ended:

18. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article is from July, but it details some of Pyzdrowski's thoughts about making last winter's transfer.

Testudo repped this.
  19. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Well, this Allsvenskan season hasn't really gone as Pyzdrowski had hoped so far. He came into the year as the starting keeper and played all the Swedish Cup games before the league started. The club then had a horrible start of Allsvenskan and after three games Pyzdrowski found himself benched and manager Henrik Larsson even openly declared in the media that he was dissapointed in the americans performance.

After that he also got injured which allowed the clubs Canadian keeper Chencinski to further solidify his place as number one since the teams performances improved. So Pyzdrowski is now fit again but seems to be stuck on the bench permanently.

The last time Chencinski played in Sweden he was probably the worst keeper in the league so even though he seems to be doing better this time around he might very well end up regressing back to his previous quality which might give Pyzdrowski another chance, otherwise it looks like this will be another year for Matt in the role of the backup.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Helsingborg one of the bigger teams in Sweden?

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not after being relegated they aren't :p

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009