Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They don't compare at all because Cameron went to college.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Geoff didn't go to Europe until he was 27 though. So in that sense Miazga is ahead. Geoff was playing for the Dynamo, undisputed starter, as is Matt with Reading. IMO the Dynamo back in 2009 was better than this Reading, though. On the other hand, Cameron was making about 35k/year back then, while now Miazga must be making almost 30x that much, which even adjusted for inflation is about 15 times more.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Making some very good bank. Though peanuts by Chelsea standards.

4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Very hard to understand why MM is not getting a look at Chelsea.

Kurt Zumba Zouma is a terrible defender. Not bad, terrible. Two left or right feet. No positional awareness. Can't pass. Doesn't score. Get's beat off the dribble. Get's beat in behind. Loses his mark on set plays.

Christiansen is an extremely composed player. Very smart. Always right position. And yet, he's f'ing up every single game just about. He can't keep a clean sheet and certainly should not be leading the line. He is basically the Tim Ream of Chelsea. Should be good, but is absolutely a goal against guaranteed. If I were captain of this ship, I'd sacrifice him to the gods. Bad Luck.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think Christiansen would be fine with some better partners. He feels like he thinks he's got to do it all - not without some reason. CP will get some blame if he doesn't score a few goals, but the real problem for Chelski is and will be defense if they don't fix it up.

Not sure Matt is the answer, but they need to change something.

largegarlic repped this.
  6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Is it possible that the Chelsea coaching team thinks MM is even more terrible than Zouma? That would be my first guess.

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    edcrocker and freisland repped this.
  8. KicksNgiggles

KicksNgiggles Member

Aug 18, 2016
    BHM
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rudi should start when he's back healthy and I don't think anyone over there rates Matt higher than Tomori. Azpi can play centrally and we can rotate others outside if need be. I'd say at best, Matt would probably be 4-5 on the depth chart. Here's a serious question....Is Matt better than Michael Hector?

Sam Hamwich repped this.
  9. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I don't think Miazga is ultimately good enough to be the sort of CB Chelsea want/need, but he probably isn't much worse (if at all) than what they're throwing out there right now.

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Plus, Matt's in good form, whereas Chelsea's CB's really aren't right now. I could see MM doing better initially, but I'm not sure he would be able to raise his game and keep it up for an entire EPL season.

largegarlic repped this.
  11. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    WBA attacking at will against Reading. Appeals for a penalty against Reading waved off. Can't seem to hold the ball for more than 4 passes. Didnt watch the first half, still 0-0.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Completely against the run of play, Reading player with biggest hair takes two steps at top of the box and sends in an absolute knuckler. Goal keeper didnt even move.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    0-1 Reading.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yes, Matt is better. He's also better than Zouma. Lastly in the air, on set plays, as a competitor and possibly on the pass, he is as good at Christiansen.

Rudi...good defender who is also mistake prone.

At best the backline is a mess at worst it is in trouble.

15. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    MM playing the RCB and really holding far wider than makes me comfortable, but that is clearly the 'Pep' effect as I've seen DeBouring do the same at LCB for atlanta at times among others.

He needs to get a bit more professional on his 1 v. 1 defending. I know he's trying very hard not to give away a free kick, but twice more I'm seeing him give up too much ground.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Haha, Charlie Fatsuit Adam is fatter than ever, just subbed in for reading. what a porker.

Gorky, Pl@ymaker and largegarlic repped this.
  17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Man, MM has been pants these last 15 min. He just got beat back post on a corner.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Reading called for PK, replay doenst show, buyt looks like 100% a dive to me.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Reading blew another late lead.

1-1 draw after an 88th-minute penalty.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree completely on Zouma. Everton wanted him back for a reason. He kept Mina (when healthy) out of the lineup. He played really well for them last season.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They didn't know Zouma was going to suck when they loaned Matt out, and even if he had stayed, Tomori and Rüdiger (who's back) would have been given the chance before him.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The barrier is always going to be that as a Chelsea player, unless the parent club pays a good chunk of the salary, Matt is too expensive for most everybody outside England.

25. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    No.

His Ligue 1 failure looms large, and players don't really make "damn good transfers" out of the Championship, unless it's to the Premier League. Given the lack of interest in Miazga at that level thus far, it's hard for me to envision a scenario where anyone in the Premier League is interested in him, much less a decent team in that league.

Two defenders have left the Championship for a fee this window - both for about €2 million, one to Dijon and one to Fenerbahce.

Frankly, another season in the Championship is a waste if his career is going to progress to first-division football. His best case is to get sold for cheap next summer to a team tipped for relegation in one of the big 5 leagues, and to do well once he's there.