Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game over. Reading beat Preston 2-1. Another big result with Miazga starting. Reading look to be on the way to safety, due in large part to Miazga's play at CB. Hopefully some premiership squads are taking notice.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    But is he getting the credit for it?

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga has definitely been a huge part of Reading's renaissance and push to stay up. They must love this loan.

Gacm32, Jazzy Altidore, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think those following Reading must see how they've improved since he walked into the starting lineup.

adam tash and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great loan- player with right ability meets team With matching need. Surprising how hard that is to set up.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Guy has already proved himself in the Netherlands. In the Championship, he's playing below his pay grade. He may not be good enough for Ligue 1, but he's too much for the Championship.

Hopefully someone gives him a shot at his level.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well, what's the middle ground? The Portuguese/Russian league?

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Between Ligue 1 and the Ered, to see if he can up a little notch? Yeah, I'd say top half of the Jupiler or mid-table Liga NOS.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I still find it incredible the Dutch league has sunk so low that Belgium and Portugal are ranked higher.
    Btw was it reviewed that Miazga was so poor in Ligue 1? I seem to recall he started off well and he got poorly when there was a new manager who then refused to play him after like 2 matches.

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    From what I watched he wasn't doing well there. It could have been the manager, but I doubt it. He was just not mentally fast enough for it.

12. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I was just looking at a matchday thread on a Reading FC messageboard & I found out two things
    1. they refer to Matt as Mazda ;)
    2. they gave him an rating of 8 in the match vs PNE because he had some good tackles

Tom Collingsworth, Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  13. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to need to see some proof for that. Because I don’t think it’s true at all.

adam tash repped this.
  14. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6089 Midas Mulligan, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Dude, come on. There are 3-4 Eredivisie teams that wouldn’t be run off the pitch by championship clubs. Only 1-2 that would be obvious promotion candidates in same.

And isn’t this shit banned in these threads?

I’m sorry you and Matt Doyle don’t like the championship. But it’s a pretty damn good standard.

ETA: here. From someone who knows better than even you.

http://www.football-oranje.com/english-championship-stronger-dutch-eredivisie-jozefzoon/

1:28 in the vid. “There are more teams [in England Championshp] that would end up higher in the Dutch league”. Which matches what anyone could see in about 45 minutes on any given weekend.

Gacm32 and The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh look, a guy who moved from the Ered to the Championship says the Championship is stronger! At least Vela was praising MLS before he moved there...

Ah, these guys.

16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6091 Midas Mulligan, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    I know I always presume that better pay = less quality and then look for ways to back it up.

ETA: love the part where Vela says MLS is better than La Liga. Great catch.

Eta2: just point out specifically where that was again for everyone else’s benefit. I don’t want to take the credit.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't buy it at all. I say this all the time, but I have a family member who, until very recently, managed players from the Championship down to League 2. As a result, when I went to England to visit him (typically twice a year), I would ALWAYS go to games while there. And I have seen NUMEROUS Championship games live, over the past 15 years. The notion that some people have of the greatness of that level makes me laugh. And it made my cousin laugh too, who always said that the physical challenges of the long season, poor refereeing and tough-tackling of the league made it difficult for players to adjust to, but that the standard of actual technical play was not that great. Back a few years ago when Brentford was challenging for a top 2 finish in the league (they were 2nd at the time, but finished 5th I think), I went to 2 of their games. Holy hell, I would have thought I was looking at a mid-table (or worse) MLS team.

Winoman, Dirt McGirt and Suyuntuy repped this.
  18. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think being named player of the year for his team three different times in teh past six years is a decent barometer. Again, he was Fulham's player of the year last year when they won promotion and his steady performances were highlighted by the club.

He was selected by the EPL as a Fulham player to watch before the season began. Now, he has struggled in the Premeirship, but at the Championship level, i think one can say he has excelled... maybe more so than any other U.S. defender at that level.

TimB4Last, superdave, neems and 2 others repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He may have played more in the PL than many would have initially thought.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Do you really think a defender on loan plays 810 straight minutes if he is playing poorly? I'd guess it was from someone who doesnt really watch these players but tries to make all YA situations sound as bad as possible.

I watched most of Miazga's 9 games with Nantes and I thought he looked like he belonged. He was likely still adjusting to the higher level when he made two mistakes in that ninth game. These are only positive momements, quite a few of them in just over 800 mins.

Gacm32, Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's what I was saying. That it seemed to be that his performances under the new manager (and not dressing) seemed to doom the good performances he had when he arrived at the club.

And Nantes is a mid-table club. I'd still reckon he can be proven at that level.

Your link doesn't work for me.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It's not enough to "look like he belonged." A new player, particularly a loanee, has to be better than the current options or there's no reason to play them.

As I'm guessing you know well, that's a major difference between the majors and the minors: the competition is much fiercer and almost every one on the squad belongs there and there's a limited amount of minutes.

I still have a lot of hope for MM. One poor loan doesn't mean all that much - credit to Chelsea for getting him another spot ASAP.

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The yellow cards in 5 consecutive games suggest to me that he was flailing a little bit. I think he could have adjusted if he was given the opportunity though.

Gacm32 and Winoman repped this.
  24. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I would think you would no better than listening to some people about YAs.

No idea what is wrong with the link. I know searching for things isnt really your thing, but if you open a browser, go to youtube.com, and search "matt miazga nantes", it should be the the first video.

25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Understood. I am not suggesting he was tearing it up, but that he was up to the level. I think what happened was harsh, but will be good for his career long term. I wouldnt call it a poor loan, but one that got him some good experience and had to face some adversity.

DHC1 repped this.