Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically the same passes, except under pressure from attackers? Is that what you mean?

bballshawn repped this.
  2. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you even read posts before replying?

Where did I offer up a solution? I said he'll likely be called in this month or Jan at the latest. Where did I say anything about keeping up at the U23 level?

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree and I generally don't like the implication we should "force" a cap tie on a young player, just rush him in and tie him up. I'd rather have the player be thoughtful, consider his future and go where his heart his. If Miazga wants Poland, he wants Poland, then we wish him good luck. If he wants the US, dangling the Euros in 16 in front of him won't matter, he wants to rep us long term.

But this whole idea of rush a cap tie so a player is stuck with us leaves out what the player himself wants. And given some of our German Americans have been accused of not being serious enough or caring enough about the Us shirt, I find this whole rush to cap tie a contradiction.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My mistake, I skipped over parts of your post.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
  6. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #106 Boniek, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    "Basically the same passes" because corralling the ball with a deft touch deep in one's own box and laying off instead of clearing is same as that, huh? Or clearing without own-goal while backtracking because you have good feet and coordination? Or pivoting with the ball at speed because someone FAST is in your face. Same. Exact. Techique.

Really, bro?

Can't believe I'm being interrogated on bigsoccer by a guy who thinks that the only passing techniques required for a cb are "dump offs to [deep midfielder], swinging it around the back, and occasional long balls." Great. You win dude.

Gacm32 repped this.
  7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    my god you people are tedious

vexco, Gacm32, wixson7 and 4 others repped this.
  8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    how much have you watched of miazga... be honest

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Tab Ramos also moved to the USA at age 11 and has always said his years in Uruguay, playing street soccer and with his club team, were crucial in making him the player he turned out to be.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    Well I actually think he could help us now, hence why I want to call him up.

11. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    At least 10 games. Enough to know that technically, particularly playing out of the back and getting his feet right to make clean contact, he has a long way to go. It's OK though, you are entitled to think differently. I'm just stating my opinion that good performances against Tommy McNamara, Villa, and a crocked Lampard, or against a Toronto team with horrendous team defense--not the same as Europe.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not trying to "win" or interrogate. I am seriously trying to learn. You answered some of my questions in the first paragraph, so thanks.

gtstock repped this.
  13. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for the record, Matt Miazga has a 76% pass completion percentage with an average of 21m per pass. And I would not go this far, but Squawka likened him to, the scariest defender ever, Jaap Stam. Not saying that means anything, just wanted to put it out there.

Gacm32 repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Maybe he doesn't, but is he a quick study whop can learn to do that kind of passing? Has the NYRB game plan required him to do this?

Not hacking on MLS, but there's not a lot of MLS teams (from what I've seen) that do that kind of building from & through the back. Then again, not a lot of English teams do that either, so it's the EPL for him then ;).

15. Boniek

Boniek Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Miazga's defensive ability is quality in a lot of areas. I think he was able to deal with Villa in particular because NYCFC was suffocated against Red Bull and Villa was isolated up top as a loan striker; Miazga outmuscled and out-jumped him for balls and played exceedingly well.

But when Red Bulls play young teams that are fast and technical, they struggle. There are only a couple teams in MLS that have young, fast, technical players who also work on pressing and in defense. In Europe this is almost required. In MLS, many of the technical players are luxury players who don't contribute to team defense and are often older and slower or younger and pure attacker (Poku).

The result is that we have seen very few games, if any, this year where Red Bulls had to play a game in their own half. In this situation, CBs have to play out of pressure with 1-2 touches every time, as fast as possible. You can't have bad touches; you can't take extra steps to get your feet right. I simply don't think Miazga is particularly great on the ball.

16. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually a valid concern. We've seen it several times at the youth international level against tough competition (the games against Colombia and Serbia, in particular). CCV is already ahead of him in that department. It's a fundamental problem with our defenders and huge part of the reason we struggle to build out of the back or maintain position. Even the "ball playing" CBs that we have are generally only average at short passing. Brooks is probably the best ball playing CB we have, unfortunately his deficiencies seem to revolve around concentration and defensive lapses.

Gacm32 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    the problem is 2 things: His passing isnt as shit as youre making it out to be. I have seen him make attacking passes under pressure to pin the defense back down (there is gif of one in youngsters in mls forum) he may not have brooks or cameron ability on the ball but he isnt a novice. I
    Second thing, you directly said his passing ability will prevent him from playing in a top league.... so every player in the top 5 leagues for that matter is a good passer out the back? I'd say i watched miazga 20ish times and have to say his passing ability is average and wouldnt be a liability in playing in a top league. Yeah he likes to launch long balls, but he said this in that article.
    So imo as long as his defensive prowess shines, i think his average passing is enough to service him in a top league

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Miazga's game but you're correct.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  20. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    with Miazga getting a call? absolutely. But I'll just have to bite my tongue on a couple of others.

21. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    That roster is pure Klinsmann (desparate version). Appeasement (miazga, Nagbe), desperation (Beckerman, Jones), ******** youism (Ibarra), tactical retardation (Altidore not Dempsey because every striker on that roster would work with Dempsey but won't work with Altidore) feigned repentance (FJ, Besler). So classically Klinnsdouchey.

22. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that post came off as a lot more pointed and witty when you were formulating it, and not just as a bunch of sour grapes.

bsky22, mike4066 and vexco repped this.
  23. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    It did, and it isn't. I am not satisfied with his direction and don't think he is the right person. Just my two cents.

24. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't worry, that came through

bsky22 repped this.
  25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello everyone,

Please do NOT discuss Klinsmann's roster choices here.

Please DO discuss news about Matt Miazga's trialing in Europe here.

Thanks.

bsky22, wixson7 and Woodrow repped this.