Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Don't think Miazga is ready to leave MLS yet, frankly. He clearly has a ton of potential, but his decision-making is questionable and he has an atrocious attitude. He'll be in for a yellow a game in any major European league. I know he has the EU passport already, but I think he'd be much better served to stay with New York through at least next summer, playing every week and (maybe) forcing his way onto next summer's Copa America squad.

If he can make a move to a team where he's going to start regularly, then that would be fine, but I don't think he's at that point yet. He trialed with RB Leipzig in January and wasn't up to par then. I don't think he has developed enough in 6 months to change that to the extent that he could be starting for Stuttgart or Swansea.

2. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would imagine the deal would be Britton + cash for Miazga.

3. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't need to start in the premier league at 19. He needs to be groomed and developed at a high level and getting playing time here and there in cup matches, spot duty etc… Even a loan to a championship team would be valuable.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He needs to be playing regularly. He has grown tremendously this season already, and I don't think it's a coincidence that growth has come alongside an extended run in the first team, both in Harrison and with the U-20's. I understand the desire to get a centerback into a more tactically adept league, and think guys like Gonzalez and Besler stunted their development by not moving abroad. I don't think that applies to Miazga at this point. Plus, I don't think there's any need to rush - he turns 20 later this month. Another year with the Red Bulls isn't going to hurt at all.

5. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    #55 kruck, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    It wouldn't be bad for his development to stay at NYRB but there are other consideration as well

1. Perhaps a life changing contract offer from Swansea
    2. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed, better get your millions while they're on the table.

6. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    he should definitely stay another year in MLS, but then there is money. this why mls has to address hg players salaries

7. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The MLS can't afford to pay anywhere close to what any premier league club would be offering Miazga and won't be able to for a long time.I'm confident he would multiply his salary by 5 - 10 times the minute he signed with an EPL club.

8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    sadly true

9. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    MLS might not agree to sell him though. I would actually be surprised if they did.

If I was Miazga, I'd want to go:

1. To secure my financial future
    2. There is no guarantee he would just languish in the reserves... maybe the kid does have the potential to get decent Cup minutes and some EPL minutes right away... go over there and prove yourself.

10. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    idk if he could play right away, but the progress he has made in 1 year is amazing. i legit thought he sucked after last year. now i'm more high on him then EPB

Tom Collingsworth and superdave repped this.
  11. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    screw the EPL....id go somewhere else....unless he had a shot at Southampton....

12. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all of RBNY backline woes, it would stupid of them to sell their best CB.

13. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Why not go the Yedlin route? Sign and remain at Red Bulls on loan and be mentored under Britton until the end of the season.

Edit: I'll admit, I didn't like how Tottenham structured that transition at first, but he's shown some real maturity growth and at this point looks more than 2 years ahead of Green and even on par with Chandler when playing for the USMNT. On top of that Swansea is a well run club (up there with Everton/Tottenham) and would give him great options for development down the road.

14. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't think theres a right or wrong answer because each player has his own individual comfort zone and situation in which they would grow the most. Having said that I think this kids ceiling is high and he should practicing at the pace and tempo that his talent dictates and preparing himself at the highest level.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think there's a blanket answer either. In Miazga's case, it would be a bad move to go abroad now. He just doesn't seem to have the mentality to be successful in Europe yet.

16. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I would take Miazga over Alvarado right now. If Brooks and Green can get starts at 20 for the senior team, so can Miazga.

17. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    Robben left PSV for Chelsea at age 20. Van Persie also left Holland at 20. In fact, the Dutch and Portuguese leagues are little more than feeders for the big leagues these days, and many of those guys leave before turning 21. If a good offer comes, I have to think you have to consider of you're RBNY. It's not guaranteed it'll come again.

18. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't take Miazga over Alvarado, and I'm thinking a camp cupcake call-up is sufficient, I don't think he's ready yet, but a January camp if he's still with RBNY wouldnt hurt

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gacm32, Tactical Hipster and Dough Boy repped this.
  20. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    After reading that I'm now, for the first time, nervous that he might choose to represent Poland (especially given the comments RE: family preference and sales pitch from Poland). I had previously thought he was closer to a sure thing, am still slightly optimistic.

Gacm32 and Dough Boy repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #71 ussoccer97531, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Tons of info in that article. Here's some of it for those that don't want to read that article.

• One MLS Scout on Miazga: "He's by far the best young prospect in MLS. He's got all the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world for over a decade."
    • The author says experts compare him to a young Jaap Stam or Wladyslaw Zmuda
    • The author says "sources" have told him that Miazga has already received offers from Chelsea, Stoke City and Leicester City, but he turned them all down
    • Miazga on who he will play for at the international level: “I haven’t made up my mind just yet,” I'm totally undecided. I’ll wait to see who calls me first to the main national team and see what happens then.”
    • Zbigniew Boniek who is "arguably Poland's greatest player of all-time" and now the president of the Polish Federation has contacted Miazga and pitched Poland to him.
    • More on his decision of who to play for: "My family wants me to play for Poland and my friends encourage me to choose US. I'm torn. I feel both Polish and American, I really do. It’s hard, so hard.”
    • On whether he might be called up for both Euro 2016 and the Copa America: "It's possible,” "But I should know for sure by then.”

Tactical Hipster, (TxT) and BostonRed repped this.
  22. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    If he isn't capped by either country before next summer and is called up for Euro 2016 (or promised a call-up for it) it is hard for me to see him turning that down. Imagine if guys like Lewandowski start pitching him on it too. We should get him in for World Cup Qualifying; not just to force his hand, because he legitimately could help.

Gacm32 repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This could be Neven Subotic 2.0. He was completely developed in our system and now we might lose him because we have a stupid coach who prefers lolvarado and Orozco to a vastly superior player right now. If he's not called up to the NT for the November matches, its conceivable to think that there is sabotage going on.

24. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I don't think there is any sabotage going on, I just think it's stupidity. I'm not as plugged into MLS as you are, what's the standard protocol when a team is in the MLS playoffs with WCQ call-ups? Not sure if team has to give approval, if it's frowned upon, etc.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They are required to release players for all FIFA dates, but sometimes the NT coach allows the player to stay. This would be beyond stupid to not call up Miazga for November.