Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    could you elaborate?

2. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He is a hard worker that you can not deny. His coach, looking to make a statement, found the most likely weak link. This is, of course, my American pride talking, but MM is a very good defender and leader on the field. Not the best ever, but when he is out there, I think you can be confident that he will take care of business.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halilhodzic is a tough but fair guy, and he thinks hard about improving even fringe players. In press conferences for Japan squad announcements he would talk your ear off for more than an hour by passionately expounding on each player's opportunities for improvement. I think he'd be a fan of Matt's no-nonsense approach to "duel" - a term Vahid added to the Japanese soccer lexicon - so there might yet be some hope here.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Investing in loan players is always a bit of a low margin game, unless you have hope of transfer. Either they can help you off the shelf, or, if you're thinking club long-term success, you look to bloody players you own, that will help across season or increase in value and get you more transfer $$ when they go.

I was hoping MM would bang a header off a corner into the back of the net as that is his best high value move. As long as Nantes is not leaking goals I don't see him getting back in the regular mix (absent injuries, of course.)

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt will lock himself in the boiler room of the stadium until the transfer window closes, and then win one of the starting cb gigs for them by the end of the season, helping propel Nantes to overachieve in earning a spot in next year's Europa League.

He subscribes to the doctrine of the great 90's American philosopher Mike Tyson: "I'll f*** you til you love me, mother f*****".

6. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just had to really laugh out loud on that one you erudite!

7. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our guys need agents that won't send them to these Manchester/Chelsea cabals. Transfer to a club that really cares about your success and situations like these won't happen. I'm glad MM is playing again, at least.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to the talk of limiting teams to much less loan players? If that happens a lot of this will clear up and players will find out if their team sees a future for them or if they are cut loose.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The owning club does care about the players success
    Success means selling for more than they paid.Profit!

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    in that case our boys should only be moving to the Dutch and Belgian leagues.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Soccer careers are short. Bills are forever... or almost.

Get the geld. Play the game. It will work out.

bsky22 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how was his rating for the match?

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dunno. He didn't get much print time in any of the reports I saw. A couple of trackers mentioned this, which was clearly on of his best moves of the match - just after the Chateauroux goal.

"Chance for Châteauroux! A combinations between Yamga and Diarra and Sanganté beats Dupé in the penalty area, but Nantes defense, from American international Matt Miazga, prevents him from going further! Goal kick for Nantes."

thes is best set of highlights I've found so far. Sequence with Matt before Chateau goal. He does well, but his outstep block/clearance is perhaps a bit less decisive than it could have been, but two Nantes defenders could have gotten a boot to it as well.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's going to pull a George Costanza and they'll be forced to use him somehow, even if it's only for garbage minutes in throwaway games.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The usual route for a player in MM situation is injuries/suspensions.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's his gameplan. Work his way back after a player is accused of visiting a brothel and a scandal emerges when another defender is found to be a far right supporter.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Nantes already wears yellow, so you can't tell them from National Front - oh, excuse'm moi, National Rally "supporter..."

But injuries are what got MM his opportunities at Vitesse and since Nantes is doing ok in the defense department, I doubt he gets a lot more chances without something external forcing the hand.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    will the CIA please help a Yank Abroad out :cool:

The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I had not looked at the Ligue 1 table in a few weeks, and Nantes have actually slipped from 10th to 14th and only won 1 of their last 6 games. The "Hill bump" seems to be over and they are reverting to form. They are only 4 point clear of the playoff slot. GF seems to be the bigger issue than GA but they have given up 10 in those 6 games, so it's not like better D would hurt. So maybe I spoke too soon. A continued poor run of defensive form might open the door for MM. Doesn't look like YC's will help him. Carlos is on 2, but has his 10 games - or close to it anyway.

Don't give up hope!

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On the bench for today's Ligue 1 home match against Montpellier.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    "On the bench" is a promotion for Matt, so it's all good.

edcrocker, freisland, Pl@ymaker and 2 others repped this.
  22. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I guess he is staying for the second half of the season? We're getting deeper into January...

[​IMG]

23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nantes went up a man in the 19th minute. They subbed on a midfielder for a defender in the 60th, scored shortly thereafter, got another in the 81st, on course for a 2-0 win.

Miazga did not make an appearance.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so where is he currently? like 4th/5th CB?

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States