Matt Miazga playing for Alaves

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Jan 25, 2015.

1. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/uni...worried-about-future-despite-nantes-struggles

"You've got to learn, you've got to adapt," he said. "Obviously you always want to be playing, you always want to be a part of it. I kind of got stuck in a bad-timing situation with the club, getting suspended and with a new coach [coming in]. Right now I'm not playing, so I have to continue to stay fit, control what I can control and be ready for when my chance comes again."

As for the rumors that the loan will be terminated early, Miazga responds with a laugh and a shake of the head.

"I don't know where those rumors came from but they're obviously not true," he said. "People saw that I was playing every game and then all of a sudden not playing, so people are going to make assumptions, make up rumors and random things up in their head and I guess publish it.

"The reality is that's not true: I'm on loan with Nantes until the end of the season. I lost my starting spot and I've got to earn it back. It's as simple as that."

Well, he has a good attitude, he's in it for the long-haul. Doesn't seem he will try to get out at Nantes - hopefully he can work back into the team soon.

I think the part about the rumors is kinda funny - maybe this thread is to blame?? <<ducks head>>

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Guy's like the defense's Wood: a lot of heart, will keep trying.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly. He's proving himself to be reliably successful; Wood, not so much.

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't know about that. Wood is the guy still starting in a Top 5 league, and around here that matters much.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nantes and Chelsea are fighting over Miazga:

https://fr.onefootball.com/chelsea-refuse-de-reprendre-un-joueur-prete/

Nantes seemed happy to have landed the American this summer, and more so since Caen was also going for him. But the international defender has shown his limits rapidly, and more so in the game at Bordeaux.

Vahid Halihodzic has lost confidence in him after that, and Nantes wanted to simply send him back to Chelsea this winter. The Blues, however, will have none of it, and have refused to accept his return.

Whatever happens, Miazga won't be playing much until the summer of 2019...

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot can change ....might look like he won't play again for nantes but that's far from guaranteed.

7. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I don't want her you can have her she's too fat for me...

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's been in poor standing with 2 straight clubs before he built confidence and rapidly improved on the weaknesses that gave managers an initial aversion to him. I think he should stay and try to do the same at Nantes. Eventually I believe he'll win this guy over as well. He's already performing well against as good or better competition with the national team. So I do think it's about situational confidence and adapting to the attributes a specific team requires of him.

If he departs from Nantes in all likelihood it would be to the type of league he's already conquered, taking off another year or two of his career, proving nothing, and still creating doubt in minds of those who'd consider giving him another chance in a top five. Certainly it wouldn't and hasn't impressed Chelsea. That may not be his ultimate destination, but it doesn't have to be for him to have a successful career for an American footballer. That could just mean getting bought by a Europa-League level Bundesliga club or mid-table Premier League one where he's a stalwart.

Pl@ymaker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Chelsea won't accept his return?? Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?

Him playing for Nantes reserves isn't going to do anything to help him develop or Chelsea recoup their investment, so you can be sure they're putting out feelers to clubs that have previously expressed interest in Matt, plus clubs they have identified as being short of cover at CB.

so either a club at upper Eredivise level or the equivalent will take him on, or he'll have worked his way back from the doghouse. He'll get PT in 2019. Where is another matter.

10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga not in the 18 for Nantes again today.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    New coach seems to hate the guy.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gonna have to shell out big time for a Xmas gift to make it right

The Irish Rover and Suyuntuy repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Left out of the 18 again today. That's now 2 months without being part of the squad.

Time for this loan to end.

14. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some Euro-snob is stiffing my guy? I won't stand for it. I'm not watching French footie any more.

Seriously, I hope he gets another chance because he will get back out there. Maybe the coach hates Poles.

ttrevett and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  15. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    Maybe the coach is short and Matt, you know...

UniversalAdvice, eliwood, lmorin and 3 others repped this.
  16. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

sakibomb523, Winoman, edcrocker and 3 others repped this.
  17. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recall and reboot. This loan hasn’t not been anything like we anticipated. Somethings just aren’t a fit. I was really excited about Miazga with Nantes and Ligue 1. Fingers can be pointed to both sides for the failure. Shit happens. Maybe Chelsea can find a suitor in the Championship or back in the Eredivisie.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Loan him to some Dutch club. There he can be an asset going forward, since no one cares about defending.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's not a "locker room problem..."

Coach says not an attitude issue, but a sporting one.

"And to believe Christophe Lollichon, head of loan monitoring in Chelsea, even the relationship with the staff remains good. "Matt is very well educated and respectful of the coach's choices. The staff praises his attitude in training. He did not change one iota. A divorce would be totally amicable."

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In short: "It's not because he's a terrible person, it's because he sucks at soccer."

Encouraging. Well, not really.

21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. He needs a new suitor.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's a reputation and relationship saving quote: Miazga is not a disruptor in the dressing room, you can safely take him on loan.

Making your major footballing decisions based solely on Halilhodzic's rating on a seasoned MLS/Ered professional would be... uh... unwise.

Lordy, there are taps.

23. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    It's not the end of his footballing world to be shown the door by a mid-table L1 team like Nantes. Neither is it a great recommendation for a defender who hopes to build a career in a decent European league. I'm willing to give Miazga the benefit of Halilhodzic's doubt; he's a tough critic. I will say that Miazga has some sizeable deficiencies. Finding a stable playing situation just go tougher.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    if he sticked around at Chelsea, where would he rank in their placement of centerbacks? Like 5th/6th?

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States