Mathis suspended

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Aero, Aug 10, 2005.

1. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yep. Just like you sockpuppets want to ignore the fact that Romo is a hack and the a$$hole who started it all... go troll somewhere else - Romo is a turd.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romo being injured by the Phantom Nad Bash stretches reason, but having it verified by a doctor's postgame report is truly unbelievable. Romo's faux injury let him play for +/- 70 minutes without any limp or obvious discomfort (and we've all caught a ball there, so we know what it really does to you), but the doctor could verify Severe Nad Bashing? Blood in the urine, or something?

Mathis should've been tossed, and I can see making an argument (one that I disagree with) that simulation is part of the game and Romo was savvy enough to sucker Mathis into reacting, but this angle - sorry.

3. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The Chivas doctors are as crooked and brainless as the Chivas players.

Now the whole world knows.

4. b_rad82

b_rad82 New Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Slick City
    Did anyway besides me see Romo simulate injury TWICE during the fight? I already posted this on the Goat Lite thread, but AFTER Mathis and Arias had gone off the field and AFTER everything was cooling down and the keepers were headed back to their goals, Romo comes up behind DJ Countess just a little bit North of midfield and bends over a little to get his head near Countess' arm and out of nowhere grabs his face and collapses onto the grass flopping around like a fish on the deck of a boat.

Nobody, not even Countess, paid much attention and 30 seconds later he was back on his feet with zero indication of any injury.

But I'm glad the Comittee thinks Romo's such a straight-laced guy. . . if only RSL and Chivas had one more game against each other.

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bahaha. oh my god wow. this league is starting to look more and more bush league every day. the WHOLE damn nation saw romo collapse like a sack of potatoes after this "nut grab". romo flopped like a damn fish out of water and everyone knows it. he isnt anything but a pathetic diving hack who should have gotten more than the little slap on the wrist he did get. what a joke, didnt simulate injury my ass. i watched the whole thing happen right infront of me 5 rows up.

i would like to see these records (i should try and request them seeing as how i work in a doctors office :D , if only that was possible). i would also like to see the "other angles" that some how justify romos flop and giving mathis an extra 2 games. things like these should be open to the public to make their own decisions and opinions, unless of course mls knows its full of sh!t and is trying to protect chivas. somehow that wouldnt surprise me. funny thing is rsl has been by far the better franchise and i get the feeling that mls would much rather have chivas succeed and will go about any means to see it happen. what a complete joke.

6. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What gets me is that the disciplinary committee had a couple of days to review the situation and they blew it.

I sit in W13 on the front row, right behind the blue RSL banner. It looked to me that after he was hit with the ball Mathis looked to see what the refereee was going to do about at. Seeing that the referee was not addressing the misconduct Mathis charged the player.

From where I was sitting it looked like Mathis took a swing at his head. That's a red for VC.

The second incident was not as clear. I did not see if Clint approached Roma, if Roma approached Mathis, or if it was mutual. When I first noticed them, they were nose-to-nose. Then came the nad shot. It looked like he took a good swing and Roma went down. I asked the people around me "Did you see that?" About half did and we thought that Clint had punched him in the nads. At the time I predicted four games.

I get home and watch the news. The angles they show tell a different story. At that time I figured the single game that came with the red card would be the suspension.

I didn't see Dunny get kicked.

That's why the MLS takes a few days. They can review the films and get it right.

Well sometimes. I think. Maybe.

naaaaa

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Trade Clint!

8. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmfao. stop trying to start trends.....you trend setter!! :p

9. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Clint is the man!

I really think he will be a little bit subdued when he comes back. He might be quiet for, oh, the first 10 minutes when he's back on the pitch. :D

10. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think his value is? He makes a pretty good salary and he hasn't performed so great. Would we even get anything other than dead salary for him? While I don't think he's brought as much to the team as expected, I'm not sure we would get anything very serviceable for him.

11. BitterSoccerFan

Jun 15, 2005
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunatly, I think Clint gets the suspension for his rep, hoping to calm him down a bit. The refs really need to get a handle on the chivas players though, when you get your ass handed to you as many times as they have it's easy to get frustrated and once they are down by 1 or 2 they start playing dirty. Anyway good luck guys. I hope my boys keep the winning ways this Sat., but the thin air can do funny things to ya.

12. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark my words, this will be good for RSL. Clint plays like a machine when he has something to prove.

After sitting the bench for a few games in the Bundasliga, he entered a game as late substitution and scored after only 90 seconds! His post-goal actions get him benched again, but he showed that when he is given something to prove, he will do it!

13. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The same thing should happen to Romo after his attempted goal from a injury-courtesy throw-in play earlier this season and his poor sportsmanship in the RSL game.

14. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    This am's Deseret News had an interesting (and maybe disheartening) article by Scott Pierce (usually a movie and TV critic, but also apparently a soccer fan).

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600155547,00.html?

I certainly didn't see Clint's "handball" on Romo even though it was directly in front of our section, but Romo went down faster than your typical flopper. I guess I need to get TiVo.

Clint (and now, Jamie) need to chill out. Soccer isn't just about great footwork and passing-- it's about being in control enough that you don't do things that hurt your team. Getting a card when your team needs you is stupid. Controlling tempers can be as important as controlling the ball, and the last thing we need in our run to make the playoffs is more of our roster unavailable, whether it's red cards or injuries (Please let Eddie be OK!).

I thought Clint's humility in his interviews was just taking his lumps-- now maybe I wonder if he's feeling guilty, or at least feeling busted?

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, for the record, Clint did act out, probably deserved a red after all was said and down. The additional games probably is the extreme, but thats kind of moot now, since Clint has already missed 2 games.

However, for the record, they showed Clint approaching Romo several times and Stoner and Waldo even commented, Clint did not make contact with Izak Rahomo. Romo dropped like a lead brick and it was not even Oscar worthy.

But it did get Clint in more trouble, so I guess he fooled who he needed to.

16. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can anyone expect Clint to act quietly in a Chivas v Regal game? :D

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Luckily, being a fan, I can grumble and not have to offer up a reasonable solution. :D

Yo no say. I've vascilated on this. On one hand, he's coming off some niggling injuries and trying to adapt to a new position. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like he puts more energy into dealing with the ref than the game on the pitch. And then sometimes I just wonder part of the problem is we need someone up top or on the wings (or both!) who has the vision and pace to take advantage of Clint's creativity. And it's that latter that makes me suspect he does have a lot of value to another team.

18. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    For me the jury is out until the end of the season...

Frankly, with Williams and Kreis coming into form and playing well - it's opening up a lot of stuff for other guys. This will benefit Clint too. Let's get him back and see what he can do for the last 9 games of the season (after his misses number 23).

Personally, I like him on the team. The hard part is we don't know the "opportunity cost" for his salary - i.e. is there someone we actually could have had instead? It's not like other teams would release star players to us - we saw what we got with the supplemental draft...

19. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it's definitely a tough call right now. For me, the bottom line is that RSL is better with Mathis on the field the last month or so. Even without him scoring often, he seems to be able to get the offense to flow a bit better. I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go IF we could guarantee a player that could atleast contribute on the same level but that's not going to happen. His value is down and we wouldn't get much for him. So I guess we just put up with his hot-head and occasional suspensions and enjoy watching him tear into refs on a weekly basis.

20. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I prefer Clint over anyone that might be available for him. I think that his value will be shown to all by seasons end.