Mathis suspended

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Aero, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mathis has been suspended for two additional games (three total) and been fined $5000.

2. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
  3. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They didn't say anything about Romo one way or the other.

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3207602
    RSL's Mathis Suspended for Two Additional Games
    08/10/05 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
    NEW YORK (Wednesday, August 10, 2005) - Major League Soccer's Disciplinary Committee today handed down an additional two-game suspension and an extra $4750 fine to Real Salt Lake midfielder Clint Mathis for his actions in RSL's 2-1 win over Chivas USA on Saturday, August 6 at Rice-Eccles Stadium. The Disciplinary Committee also suspended Chivas USA defender Esteban Arias for one additional game and fined him an extra $500 for his role in the on-field altercation.

In the 17th minute of the game, Mathis was fouled by Chivas USA midfielder Antonio Martinez near midfield. While on the ground, Mathis was struck by a ball kicked in his direction by Chivas USA forward Isaac Romo. During the proceeding altercation, Mathis was shown a red card which carries an automatic one- game suspension along with a $250 fine. Mathis was sanctioned for striking at an opponent in the face, failure to leave the field promptly after being ejected, verbally confronting the referee, kicking a soccer ball into the stands, and inappropriate physical confrontation with Romo prior to the leaving the field.

In total, Mathis is suspended for three games and fined $5000. The suspension begins immediately, causing Mathis to be ineligible for tonight's game at New England, as well as RSL's next two home games; August 13 game against the Kansas City Wizards, and August 20 against the San Jose Earthquakes.

Chivas USA defender Esteban Arias, who also received a red card during the event which carries the automatic one-game suspension and $250 fine, was presented with an additional one-game suspension and an extra $500 for kicking at RSL's Brian Dunseth in the altercation. Arias must sit out Chivas USA's home game tonight against the Los Angeles Galaxy and Saturday's game at D.C. United.

Chivas USA midfielder Francisco Mendoza was fined $250 for game disrespect with regard to his actions. Romo, who received a yellow card for kicking the ball at a player (a $100 fine), was fined an additional $150 for his role in the melee.

Click here to view the incident:

mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.d ownload.akamai.com/11504/2005/open/topplays/archive08/080905_cdcrsl_mathis_r ed_card2_384.wmv

Under the terms of the CBA agreement, the Players Union may submit an appeal to the Commissioner for any discipline imposed as a result of an on-field incident resulting in a fine $750 or higher and / or a suspension of two games or more. Upon receipt of the appeal, the Commissioner will designate a time and a place for a hearing to be held as soon as practicable following receipt by the League of the Union's notice of appeal. A suspension shall not be stayed pending appeal.

5. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m trying not to be too upset about the situation. One thing I’ve seen in many sports through the years is one player does something to a second player who retaliates and the referee (umpire, judge, whatever) sees only the retaliation with the result being the second player is severely punished and the first player gets away with it.

It’s understandable that in the heat of the moment with all hell breaking loose last Saturday, that the official at the time made the calls the way he did, and I felt at the time he simply wanted to find one player on each team to eject to balance things out. But the displinary committee has presumably had time to fully review tapes and make their decision. My perception is the league is sending a message that had not Clint reacted the way he did, the fight might not have occurred.

I would agree that Clint could simply have not reacted when struck by the ball kicked by Romo and the melee would not have occurred. But then again, if Romo doesn’t kick the ball at Clint WHILE PLAY WAS STOPPED, none of it happens either. Given that Romo continued to be an agressor and made his ridiculous dive pretending he had been struck by a low blow, it’s hard to believe all he gets is a $250 fine.

I also think that in general, Chivas was the aggressor during the altercation and was largely responsible for the events that occurred but RSL is going to bear the far greater punishment. Too bad Chivas doesn’t visit Rice-Eccles again this year so we can’t bring out the ‘welcome wagon’ for them.

Another thing I have a big problem with is that the offical several times earlier in the game ignored beligerant and dirty play by Chivas players. Had he shown a few deserved cards in the early minutes of the match and taken charge of the match as any competant official should, this whole mess would never have happened. He failed to control the game, all hell broke loose, and Clint and RSL pay the price.

6. kkmmtt

kkmmtt Member

Jun 2, 2005
  7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. all i can say is wow. you have got to be fvcking kidding me.

if romo isnt suspended for ATLEAST 1-2 games i will crap my pants. this is pretty freaking harsh.

can you say appeal?

WHY ARE WE ALWAYS GETTING SCREWED. this is pure bs.

8. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Thanks MLS. You suspend Mathis for three games, but the guy who started the whole thing, just gets a slap on the wrist. Crap like this makes MLS really look like a bush league. What's the matter? Scared that Mr. Chivas might ask for his money back?

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With his actions taken as a whole, and looking at them w/o the context of Chivas players, I think the puishment for Mathis is fair. It is not fair when compared to Romo and Arias (kicking at Dunseth? He had cleat marks on his chest after the game!). But I can't complain about what Clint got - he really lost it, and cost the team.

10. ttmmkk001

ttmmkk001 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 29, 2004
    3 games and $5000.
    He did not hit anyone, did he?

11. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better get a clean pair of underwear ready. Romo only got an additional $150 fine.

:mad:

12. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I don't recall seeing Clint hit anyone.

I also didn't see any contact with Romo before he dove to the ground. Assuming Romo wasn't touched, he should be given a very stiff penalty ($'s & games) for that childish performance.

13. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, he began to take a punch, but held up (hence hit "at"), and definitely went in Romo's face (a "physical confrontation" of a sort).

14. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    "Mathis was sanctioned for striking at an opponent in the face, failure to leave the field promptly after being ejected, verbally confronting the referee, kicking a soccer ball into the stands, and inappropriate physical confrontation with Romo prior to the leaving the field."

I agree with all of this EXCEPT for the last part: and inappropriate physical confrontation with Romo prior to the leaving the field.

Fvcking bullshiz man. He didn't even attempt to hit Romo's nads. Romo doesn't even have 'em anyway. He just fell to the ground like a whiney little b!tch. What the hell did they see? Did they get the footage from Chivas?

WTF!

15. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya this whole thing just makes me sick. mathis was playing well before all this bs happened also which means now we get to miss him for 3 games. things have really be set against us this year what with all the injuries, call-ups and (bullsh!t) suspensions. i hope mathis and the club appeal this decision immediately because this is crap. we are really getting hosed on this one.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the point it occurred, and even before the Phantom Nad Bash, he was inappropriately physically confronting Romo. Angry, shouting, in his face. I probably would have, too, but that isn't the issue.

17. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Mathis hit, or came close to hitting Romo in the face right after he was kicked with the ball.

The inappropiate action prior to leaving the field was (and I like the phrase you've coined) the "phantom nad bash."

The way the officials have laid out their excuse for actions, it looks like they think Mathis did hit Romo in the nads, or lack thereof.

18. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Yeah... I understand to some degree what they did with Mathis - but they definitely went soft on Arias and Romo.

Arias CONNECTED on another player (neither he nor Dunseth) who was in no way involved in the altercation. So actually connecting instead of almost connecting (like Clint) is less of a suspension?

Romo - should AT LEAST get a red card for a 1-2 game suspension. Basically, I don't think Arias needs more than the red he got - but Romo should get the OTHER two game suspensions.

Hopefully, RSL appeals...

19. CantonaLeRoi

CantonaLeRoi New Member

May 29, 2005
    SLC, Utah
    Yeah not the best news. I think the suspension definitely makes sense when you take it on the whole and add in the fact that the league is using the situation as an example. But that fine is pretty stiff and i really think it needs to be appealled. How did romo and Esteban Arias get off with such light slaps on the wrist? Its too bad Mathis can't use all his emotion more productively on the field. From his radio interview on 1280 the zone it sounds like he was coached in how he worded things so as not to bring further penalties. Its just a huge mess and it will be nice to get back on track but of course tonight was not a good night.

20. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    I can understand Mathis' initial reaction to the kick. After that, however, he was out of line. The problem with all this is that now we are without him for 3 games. He helps the team when he's on the field and he needs to be a leader. I do feel that the punishments were one sided. I would like to hear the reasoning behind making Clint's punishments so much more than those others who were totally out of line. It really frustrates me that acting is so encouraged in this league. It seems if you act as though something has happened that the officials will respond in your favor. Even so, Mathis needs to have more control and needs work for the team's best interests.

21. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i happened to see this thing just b/f leaving to my own revs/kc game on sat.

i have to say....mathis is as mathis does.
    for all of the things that were witnessed on saturday (mostly as a result of his attitude).....well, those are the things that have him off the nat team roster. i remember thinking from the opening min's of the game that clint just didn't want to 'be there' that day (emotionally). he was jawing with the ref from the get go and you could tell he was just looking for an excuse to vent somehow.

while i agree there should be somewhat stiffer punishments for some of the other participants....there's no way one can argue with the punishment that mathis got slapped with. i'm sure many of you saw the confrontation with romo while leaving......he may have not hit him persay....but something was going on down there....clearly his hands were in the wrong place at the wrong time and he may have shown great restraint against his own emotions....but there was no need for them to be moving around down there.

it really is sad watching this guy b/c he could be a far better player than he is and he could be helping the u.s.......but, he's clearly got other priorities/problems.

back here at home....i'm hoping dempsey doesn't become the other white clint....b/c he's showing some tendency towards uncontrolable emotion at inopportune times. unfortunately, sometimes with the nats. right now, he's a guy for example, that i don't wholeheartedly trust on the field for the nats in a big game.

lots of players and kids are going to hear/see (or have heard/seen) what went on with mathis' on sat and regardless of one's thoughts on some of the other players involved...the league needed to be clear and decisive with him.

22. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused about this. Was it the bash that was phantom, the nads that are phantom, or both?

23. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    BOTH!

24. Aero

Aero Member

Feb 7, 2005
    SLC, Ut
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought.

25. Calisco2003

Calisco2003 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    SoCal
    "Having examined different video angles, taken testimony from both players and consulted and reviewed the doctor's postgame report, the Committee found that Romo did not simulate injury."

That was the very last part of the very last paragraph in the MLSnet article. I guess you guys just want to ignore that part.