Matchday Thread | GROUP C

Discussion in 'Group C: Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Who Will Advance.

1. Colombia

86.8%
  2. Greece

15.1%
  3. Cote d'Ivoire

56.6%
  4. Japan

30.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's true. I think Colombia v Côte d'Ivoire could be a real cracker

zahzah repped this.
  2. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colombia had 2 defesinve minded midfielders in the middle in Aguilar and Sanchez. both idiots had that tendency of dropping too far back. things were corrected in the second half.

3. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Surprisingly no. Ivorians seem to be much more willing to speak French or pidgin French than most other francophonic African countries. Have no idea what thats about, especially given Akan make up like half of the population.

4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. So do the players speak French to each other on the pitch?

5. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    CIV easily the better team. The thing is that Yaya and Gervinho both had below average games, and Kalou was horrible, yet they still could have won by more goals. They played much better than I expected them too. CIV have let down too often.

6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think Yaya was pretty good, just not as dominant as usual. He was below HIS VERY HIGH average, but still above the level of almost everyone else on the field. He could have had 2-3 assists were it not for some poor decision-making or finishing.

7. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You don't dare insult them when they did their jobs correctly. :mad:

8. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we certainly have players that can ball 1v1. always had. Cuadrado os the flashiest of the bunch but we play better as a collective.

i didnt see much creativity from ivory coast through the middle against japan. they were really dangerous when they attacked the flanks however. Colombia has speed on both of these sides but im not sure what the coaches will ask of Armero. Gervinho is a big time threat. I dont think Armero will be as attack minded next game.

9. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when greece dominated possession was because they didnt apply pressure mid field. they sat back, wait and defended. its not the first time i see this duo pull the same number.

10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    There will also be Aurier on the right to contend with, who is better defensively than Armero and even more of a threat offensively. I would attack through Zuniga if I were Colombia, but keep Armero at the back.

That said Gervinho does shift sides a lot, so he could go venture forward whenever Gervinho shifts to the left wing.

11. jemeldz

jemeldz Member

Dec 6, 2013
    paris, france
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Yes. They have tribal languages (baoulé, senoufo etc...) and use french language as a vernacular langugage (to communicate with peoole outside of your ethny) and as official language (for administrations, press, school etc...).

12. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because there was mentality issues with them and other players. You yourself know how nervous EVERY Colombian was. And this is also counting the fans themselves who were watching. James went through the same thing and they were making sure that the greeks forced a shot because they don't have talented goal scorers. With their wall of defense that Colombia had, there was little concern for them having a dangerous attack.

However, they decided to attack more and they did nothing wrong. Hell Pekerman kept them on for that long and only changed one of them after a good amount of time passed in the second half.

They worked their asses off and did nothing that cost us the match.

13. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yaya Toure apparently given MOTM by FIFA... absurd decision. Serge Aurier all the way.

14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Don't forget that Ibarbo and Cuadrado do have work-rates for defending; since our system does try to abuse wing backs to rush forward, we have to be prepared to use our traditional wingers to defend when needed. Hell there are times when our midfielders have done that job well on the wings. It'll be a hassle for either team to face Colombia because of how much of a genius Pekerman is.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I would say the Colmobia's left side and Cote d'Ivoire right side will probably nullify each other and I expect the other side of the field to be played to a greater extent because of that.

If Boka is injured Djakpa will be playing and he's had a great second half of the season in the Bundesliga. Kalou is a touch below Ibarbo, but apart from that both teams pretty even on the wings (as well as up front). Cote d'Ivoire however will have the stronger middle of the field. If players shift to the wings it'll open all kind of spaces for Toure.

16. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Midfield battle? most likely.

17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i think it's ridiculous to ridicule how another nation chooses to self-identify.

18. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i cant speak for everyone else, but i also spent 16 miserable years without seeing my team compete in a world cup. and in no way was i nervous. mostly anxious to see them play. i understand game jitters and im happy with the teams performance but theres nothing wrong in pointing out faults like conceding possession for much of the first half on this Greek team. against a more talented side that could have been devestating. thankfully things settled down in the second half.

zahzah repped this.
  19. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dude most Colombians at the bar that I went to were drinking 7 bottles before the national anthem; there was nervous minds all around. Hell like me, I heard other Colombians were scared of getting a heart attack; after halftime, a lot of the fans were rubbing their chests outside the bar.

zahzah repped this.
  20. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Cote d'Ivoire is probably my second favorite team at this tournament. Shit, I was trembling all over. Don't even want to think what happens before the Ghana game.

Froboy69 repped this.
  21. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    where the hell do you live? lol where im at it was the the usual mix of many emotions but no nervousness like that!

22. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Miami, duh. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

23. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im pretty confident in my fellow Colombians with this group of the teams. iam convinced they will advance to the next round. i was calm and collected against greece. its against the stronger sides where the level of nervous picks up. ivory coast will be a bigger challenge and for that game ill be more nervous. really looking forward to it.

24. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    holy crap. i need to check out that place. :laugh:

25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Honestly think both teams that progress from this group will make the 1/4 final.