Matchday Thread | GROUP C

Discussion in 'Group C: Colombia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Greece' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Who Will Advance.

1. Colombia

86.8%
  2. Greece

15.1%
  3. Cote d'Ivoire

56.6%
  4. Japan

30.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mondragon has been a staple in the national team for years. he was honored for his service and dedication, and just like japan, was selected mostly to offer that veteran leadership and knowledge. the whole country is happy for him.

i had japan make it to the next round with colombia. hopefully next world cup japan does better. thanx and good luck!

callmeck repped this.
  2. callmeck

callmeck Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Tokyo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My comfort. Thanks..

3. Ties5o11

Ties5o11 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me is sick for the Ivory Coast. On the other hand, Greece did play attractively today and hit three posts- so the result was not entirely unjust.

Matakos and kaizer5 repped this.
  4. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope they don't beat Costa Rica. Then there would really be no justice in this world...

5. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Can you explain to me the meaning of "justice" ? Defending football is against the law?Hail Mourinho?You guys know we Greeks still give no F-word for your criticism.We have one of the best defensces in the world.We played attacking football once vs colombia and u can see the result.Face it.We are a solid defensive team.

lfsr1544, Matakos and pepinointer repped this.
  6. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Wow, the Japanese are the kings of sportsmanship. This Japanese poster shows it once more. I really like the approach these people have; they fight hard, they play cleanly, their fans clean up after themselves when they are leaving the stadium, and congratulate the winners. Other players and fans have a lot to learn from the Japanese in the matter of being classy and fair.

Matakos, callmeck, kaizer5 and 3 others repped this.
  7. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    What's wrong in being helped by the home crowd? Oh boy, the hatred for Brazil knows no limit... Yeah, bring down these pesky Brazilians, they dare to root for their own team when it is playing in their own country! Can't have that! :rolleyes:

8. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    You don't have to make multiple posts in a row. One longer one would suffice......

9. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Ivory coast punished for not playing to win. it was really a tactical blunder, they deserved to get eliminated just as much as Greece deserved to win.
    Same thing happened in the Italian match, it's just nature of the game. It's at such competitive level there's simply no room for chivalry. Teams bunker when they need to, and if you needed result from that particular match, then you got your work cut out.

If Honduras or Iran sneaks into r16 then good for them. Winning on the strategical level isn't easier than winning on tactical level or something. I expect everybody facing Argentina to bunker, that why we needed Messi, to produce miracles. If one of these countries ended up attacking us hardcore, their coach is fking stupid, even though we would get to watch an entertaining game, wouldn't that be a treat...

Matakos and kaizer5 repped this.
  10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pekerman strategy against greece was giving them the ball.......

Matakos repped this.
  11. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Sorry, I'm new here. I was under the impression that you can only quote one post on replying to it. I've just noticed that you can quote multiple posts in one response; I'll try to be mindful of it. On the other hand, people tend to balk at long posts so sometimes keeping it compartmentalized helps.

pepinointer and Transparent_Human repped this.
  12. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #737 kaizer5, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    I have not posted here in a long time so please forgive me in advance for jumping in out of nowhere . I usually just read all the insightful comments that are posted here and appreciate the general knowledge of the posters .
    However, having said that, I'm a little puzzled by some of the comments at times and wonder if we are all looking at the same thing. In this particular instance and group , it seems many of you wanted CIV to go through. I can understand that,with the likes of yaya toure and drogba and others on that side. But what did they really do in 3 games ?
    As has been mentioned,they did not have the sense of urgency that was required.
    Much like Italy tried to do and was punished by Uruguay. Now , I'm seeing/reading some level of disbelief or dislike for Uruguay and Greece, for doing what they had to do , in order to advance : WIN.
    I don't see how anyone can watch yesterday's game and not come away thinking that the less fancied side,took the fight to CIV. At one point late in the game the shots were 10 -8 in favor of Greece, with a higher percentage of those shots being on target.
    They actually hit the post 4 times, although 3 were actually dangerous and in reality two could have easily gone in. There were two instances , where the last defender for CiV stopped an attack with a foul both times and only got a yellow card.
    Greece came to win and they did, just like they did in the final game with Russia in the euro 2012 group stage.
    I guess most people only saw highlights of their first two games as well.
    They had chances with Colombia that a proven seasoned striker , would have put away.
    Still would have lost , but they could have easily had 1-2 in that game.
    In the Japan game they played with 10 men and even then created some chances and could have poached a goal then too. However, their only legitimate scorer had to come off with an injury , prior to the red card being issued and he did not play in games 1-3.
    This same player was a hot attraction for big clubs after scoring 3 goals of the four , they scored to beat Romania 3-1 and 1-1 in the knockout.
    Anyway, long story short, I'm glad they got through , with the likes of Italy, England , Spain and Croatia all going down. Would I have preferred for one of those sides to through, maybe....I would have liked to have seen Sweden and Zlatan at the cup as well.

Have we stopped rooting for the under dog ? I guess those that are surprised by this may also have been shocked by Costa Rica and the USA. I personally was not , as I watched them all in qualifying and their friendlies leading up to this.

Matakos, callmeck and pepinointer repped this.
  13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Samaras is a dirty cheating diver. I originally thought there was contact be wise I saw the replay from one angle from behind where it looked Luke there was contact, I just now saw the side angle which clearly shows there was no contact whatsoever. It was the one replay they originally showed and the commentator said there was no contact.

Greece cheated their way to the second round period. Disgraceful.

14. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    in this tournaments teams have to be prepared to suffered this referee mistakes...........not only to cry if it happens, mexico had 2 goals disaloowed that were legal, but they won the match after score

Ivory Coast with gervinho, drogba and yaya had to win greece since the beginning the match to greece.......but no the draw and lamouchi take them out.......mentality was more guilty than the referee about the elimination

lfsr1544, elviejomen and zahzah repped this.
  15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ivory Coast could have taken the game by the scruff of the neck when they had the better chances in the first half. They should have put it to bed with one of several breakaways. They can only blame themselves. And the coach who made idiotic changes after the 1:1.

kaizer5 and pepinointer repped this.
  16. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Heh, I always knew Lamouchi was a bottler.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

You do not as a referee call a PK in the last second of a match that will alter things if you are not 100% positive. I believe the ref who was biased throughout the entire match gave Greece the benefit of the doubt rather than seeing it with his own eyes. You cannot compare a disallowed goal 10 minutes into a match with a last second penalty. Come on man, you just being biased. To add to insult he did not add any extra time for over a minute of Greek celebrations. The ref was terrible.

zahzah repped this.
  18. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

I agree with this, but the Greeks cheated and the ref was conned. Doesn't change that fact.

19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ivory coast had 90 minutes before to won that match.......

by the way i have to watch the action

20. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Wait a minute didn't they beat your country , Romania , 3-1 and then 1-1 , in a playoff to get to the WC ????

21. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    https://vine.co/v/Mtnxa6HXg7p this angle?

22. karpouzeiro

karpouzeiro Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    so much hatred for Greece.. dont know why.. and the penalty was a penalty end of story. Samaras had an advantageous position to shot and score a goal and one of the oponent stopped him with contact.

pepinointer and zahzah repped this.
  23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    faiyez repped this.
  24. kaizer5

kaizer5 Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So I guess they are not cheaters then , and not disgraceful , as you stated earlier ?
    The fact is that second tier teams from Europe have largely been victimized by the refereeing , see Croatia - brazil and bih vs Nigeria and even Greece with the harsh red carc in game 2 vs Japan. I'm glad one call went their way.

25. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um I was just pointing out why they would have home field advantage, not criticizing their fans for being supportive.