Matchday, Sunday April 16, 2017: Manchester United vs. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Apr 14, 2017.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    We are also not all that great. Lots of places where our squad can be improved.

2. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And I think we will see that this summer.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    [​IMG]

Bruckner283 and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  4. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]

Shocking stats (as if you needed to see them). Come on man.. just give us a good last few games, God knows we need it. : /

5. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Also - he was apparently dispossessed a 10 times, a record for any player this season.

6. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Yes, if only Costa had played well, we'd have had..........one player who played well. Everyone was the problem! Where were Hazard's runs? Did we get Costa into scoring positions? He's not magic.

7. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    FYI - you're on ignore (as you continue to prove, for great reason lolol). Tragically bored at work so here is a reply: I'm uncertain as to where I said no one else was an issue as that would be a pretty dumb thing to say, but you can continue arguing with yourself on your lonesome. Cheers.

8. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't know how you can defend Costa after that "performance". Granted others didn't have a good game but I saw numerous passes that Costa should have been close to but instead was bawling his eyes out at the referee.

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It's been an issue with Hazard many times now. If he's man marked and is not having a super awesome day, he becomes mentally fragile and just strolls the rest of the time. This is why he won't ever be like Messi or Ronaldo.....weak mind.

10. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Costa has his negatives but the entire team looked toothless.

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Only notable attack I remember came from Pedro.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, I think we'll win it comparing those two run-ins.

13. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I wonder if the long rest is bad for player psychology. Clearly it's nice to be rested, but it boggles my mind how much fresher United looked. It's like Chelsea just pooped in their trousers right before the game....that or Conte had them play for a draw.

14. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i'm not really one to make excuses, the whole team looked down. what was interesting to me though was we know Alonso missed out due to a virus, and Cahill, being interviewed after the match mentioned that quite a few people had been hit by a virus during the week. he didn't make excuses, was actually adamant not to, but i still found it interesting.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    You also have to see who is the other team.

For us:
    Home v. Soton - nothing to play for
    Away to Everton - Europa
    Home to Boro - relegation
    Away to Brom - nothing
    Home to Watford - nothing
    Home to Sunderland - most likely nothing, but might be relegation

For Spuds:
    Away to Palace - nothing
    Home to Arsenal - CL
    Away to West Ham - nothing
    Home to United - nothing
    Away to Leicester - nothing
    Away to Hull - relegation

So all in all, while Spurs have twice as many away games, most of the teams they are playing got nothing to play for.

16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Wouldn't be surprised, and I can see why Cahill was adamant to not point that out.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On MOTD they showed some of the good work Herrera did man-marking him. He also put through a great pass for their first goal from Rashford.

I'm not sure it's fair to say he has a weak mind. It's just that nobody else did much to help him and their fellas worked harder than we did. Add to that the fact that they also got the rub of the green on occasion and some refs calls and that's how we ended up losing.

I don't see us playing that poorly again, tbh.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd question some of those judgements, tbh.

With us, Everton are back in 7th and Arsenal have got 2 games in hand over them. I suspect both Boro and definitely Sunderland are gone rather than fighting for survival.

Regarding sperz, Palace have done well against the 'big' sides this season and both Arsenal AND yanited are fighting for a better league position, whether it's CL or guaranteed Europa football remains to be seen.

The bottom line is they have to play both Arsenal and Yanited, two good sides, , (LeArse, in particular, will want to take any possibility of an EPL win away), whereas the hardest outfit we've got to get past is Everton.

So, OK! I accept nobody KNOWS what's going to happen but the reality is we should do it.

Y'know... theoretically! :)

:eek:

19. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That palace loss really stings as we deserved to win that.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Doh...obviously United have lots to play for. Not sure why I wrote nothing.

21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    When we create even a modicum of space, Eden tends to do quite well. I give the guy a pass mainly because without his very individual efforts, we'd easily be 2nd or 3rd right now.

Our midfield in general has not been good. Kante's passing leaves a lot to be desired and Matic's form has nosedived. Ronaldo and Messi get an insane amount of room to work with thanks to playing with a) wonderful attackers and b) really special midfielders. Neither of them would do any better in our side in place of Eden. Diego doesn't give a shit and our midfield doesn't really do a lot outside of Kante being an awesome tackler.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    The point is, if the whole team is bad, highlighting one player repeatedly suggests an agenda rather than a serious evaluation of player performance.

23. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hate that we have to play an FA Cup match this weekend instead of a league match.

24. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know this could be exactly what we need. If we bring that same ish the Spurs will rock us. And it could be the extra jolt to help snap us out of the funk without costing us points. Or Man U was enough and bring out A game and remind the Spurs who sits atop the table.

25. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    kante's passing is underrated. it's an area he's shown quite an improvement and he's had couple of assists over the top recently that have been great. he's not fabregas, but he's better than what we'd ever even hoped ramires to be. more specifically he's not a BAD passer and his touch is good if not great.