Matchday, Sunday April 16, 2017: Manchester United vs. Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    This team gets ripped apart by Spurs. It will not be pretty.

2. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I would like us at least get one goal to see if they get rattled

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  3. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i was going to say the exact same thing. if we could grab one and just put them under pressure at the end. it would be so against the run of play though.

4. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    RLC? Really?!?! Some of this is on Conte. Persisting with under-performing players and nonsensical subs?

hudson hooligan and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  5. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The worst thing is that it is the Spuds in second place, anyone but them.

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  6. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that was the best passing all game. too bad it ended in a goal kick.

7. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well done Jose he set them up well, shame about the handball but I guess it is 13 times unlucky in that they have not beaten us for 12 games.

Conte looks a bit shell shocked, he lost the league with Juventus when miles in front and maybe he is getting deja vu.

As a long time Chelsea fan I know it is never over until...

8. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conte screwed this up as much as any of the players on the field.

The fact that Costa saw through the entire match is unforgivable. He literally produced nothing for us today.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So, one goal off a handball and another from a deflection.

10. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

But they all count as the records will show.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    According to Danny Mills on the BBC, in our up-coming game against sperz one of us has to lose coz it's in the FA Cup.

I mean, that level of insight is worth the license fee right there, isn't it :rolleyes:

12. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Credit to Jose and United. Outplayed us and totally nullified our attack. Herrera was outstanding. I am sure Conte won't sleep well tonight.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to say, when I've been listening to all the 'experts' in the meeja talking, saying as how it's already over when there's 6 games left. 3 points a game means 18 points still to go. How is that OVER!

Nah, I'd rather be in our position that theirs but there are chops and changes still to come.

The only thing is, our run-in isn't too bad so we SHOULD be OK.

Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  14. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    About time our average play got taken advantage of. Something needs to change or else I do fear for our title challenge.

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We've been far too casual over the past few weeks. Hopefully everyone at the club will see how quickly 10 became 4 and wake the eff up.

The run in isn't awful and credit to spurs for playing like their lives depended on it. Great result for the neutral today. Time to focus and finish the job.

Wrath and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  16. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Jose showed why he is special today, credit to him.

Why is the English meeja so obsessed with "title race on" and "title race off" - they were saying our lead was insurmountable back in January, which is ridiculous. I have been telling my United friend the whole time that we are one loss and a couple of injuries away from being in a situation, and now that is true.

Still like said above, last few games are not bad and just have to refocus and earn it on the field. I just hope the team doesn't panic and start playing tight.

I never heard the announcers one time mention that Moses and Azip were playing out of position

Also, did you notice the set play off the kickoff at beginning ? Azpi took off down the field (early) and Luiz played a direct ball to him that he was going to play to a running Costa. It seemed everybody did their job except Costa didn't make his run. Azpi wasn't happy

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Home v. Soton
    Away to Everton
    Home to Boro
    Away to Brom
    Home to Watford
    Home to Sunderland

Plenty of chances to throw 4 pts away in there. I can't see Spurs losing any points with the way they're playing.

18. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To add to this. Spurs' schedule:

Away to Palace
    Home to Arsenal
    Away to West Ham
    Home to United
    Away to Leicester
    Away to Hull

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Basically, we played like shit today and paid for it. That said, United weren't all that great themselves, but better than us.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    For a team that played Thursday, they showed way more hustle and desire than we did.

21. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    We got whupped by their second team. We've been coasting and Tottenham is surging. The upcoming Cup game could be a huge psychological advantage for the winner.

22. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As much as I don't really like this run in, mainly due to the way we've been playing, people really expect Spurs to win 6 in a row? Anyone recall how we equaled the record for most wins in a row earlier this season?

I'm no statistician, but the probability of Spurs matching that all of a sudden doesn't seem too likely to me. The more I think about it the more unlikely it seems.

That being said, our guys need to wake up...

23. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can see Spurs beating all these teams, yeah. Palace, yes. Arsenal fold like a napkin. West Ham, yes. United haven't lost in forever, but Spurs can beat them. Leicester, Hull? Yes, yes.

But if you want some optimsim, Dan Levene has it.

So conditioned are we, largely by broadcasters looking to sell a product, that it is all about the run-in; the narrative, the momentum, the soap opera special. But titles are won over 38 games, and Chelsea have put in one hell of a shift already. From six remaining games, Conte's side need 15 points. Or, and this bit is key, they need the points they gain, plus those Tottenham drop, to equal 15. Win it by a point, or 10, and it is still won.

Defeat at Old Trafford is no disaster, but it is a warning: Chelsea's nine lives - or two and a draw to be more accurate - are depleted. There is the breathing space to lose another, and possibly more depending on Tottenham's own run-in – though nobody at Chelsea will want that to happen.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football...-as-title-race-hots-up_sto6133049/story.shtml

truefan420 repped this.
  24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    What bothers me most is that while some pundits and some United players thought this was the best performance of United to date, in reality, they were pretty ordinary. They hustled and worked their butts off, but a league one side could do the same. Obviously they are a whole lot talented, but in general, this is not United of Ronaldo/Tevez. Kinda sad for Chelsea to be honest.

25. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Tibo would probably have made the first save as well. But we were toothless in attack and a lot of that is Diego. Guy doesn't even make runs anymore.