Matchday: Liverpool vs. Chelsea

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Jan 31, 2017.

1. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We could have won but considering the other results around the league I am more then satisfied.

Hopefully Hazard can get a solid run of form over the next few matches to help out offensively. He hasn't been at his best over the last few matches. Arsenal at home should be a good match for him to be creative.

If we can get the 3 points at the weekend which I think we will, then we will be well on our way to the title!

2. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have won. Costa's penalty was truly one of the worst I've ever seen.

Still, our lead extends to 9. The draw hurts the bin-dippers more than us. I'm satisfied.

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Clearly not an England fan then :D

Brock Hannsen, adri and Ninjatend0 repped this.
  4. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Or a fan of the collected works of Sergio Ramos and Simone Zaza.

ArmanSLR repped this.
  5. xamers

xamers Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    1. Kante doesn't just have a 4th gear. He has a 4th dimension. Always pops up out of nowhere.

2. I was very much against subbing in Fabs. I was completely wrong. He came in and gave us the possession we lacked the entire game. His lack of defense is the cost of having him on the pitch to control possession.

3. Not sure what you all though about Moses, but I though that was grounds for keeping him on the bench for a couple games. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, but it seemed like his was <50% passing. But his defense was just atrocious after the 60th min - to the point where Cahill and Azpi threw up there arms in disgust a couple times. We MUST find better play from that position. Whether it's Moses or whoever, I could care less. Alonso isn't all that fantastic either, but at least he doesn't let guys run free.

6. ComeOnChelsea

ComeOnChelsea Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Moses is a likable player and started off well in this position, but he is definitely someone that can be upgraded. He wastes a lot of chances on offense and defensively....well

Just watched highlights of game again and he completely switches off on the Henderson cross that setup the goal . He was strolling back up the pitch and pool still had possession.

It's becoming a trend that the goals we give up are on far post crosses directed at Moses/Azpi

Disappointing not to get 3 considering pk, but a point there is great

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Sucks not to win, but it was a weak PK call to be honest. Overall, about same # of chances created as Pool. They press really well, so I'm glad the composure was there. Kante as MoM.

8. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Moses and Alonso can be and hopefully will be upgraded in the summer.

9. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Feel like Willian could be a legendary RWB.

10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    All in all a good point, I haven't seen Liverpool so 'up for it' for a long time, perhaps if they showed this much desire against all the other teams in this league they would be top of the table, they were going 'hammer and tong' for 90 minutes and giving 150%, having said that we looked far more 'controlled'. To come away from this a point further clear is a most welcome if surprising bonus. If we can beat Arsenal then we will be in a really strong position.

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I hope the PK miss doesn't affect Costa's confidence. He's been hot for us, so would suck if he loses that confident feeling before the game against Arse.

12. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Costa PK miss won't hurt his confidence. Im embarrassed it was given in the first place because it was a dive. We didn't deserve that pentalty.

Hazard was absent. A real concern and something that would make me think twice when Madrid come in for a double dip this summer for Courtois and Hazard.

That Luiz free kick tho. Insanity and totally not in the plans. No one expected that.

13. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Think twice about what tho? A bit absent but still a class above basically anyone other than Costa. The 3-4-3 initially unleashed Hazard as he had more space than he even knew what to do with. Goals against Leicester, United, Southampton, his unbelievable showing against Everton, then a couple games later his goal against City, all in succession.

What went wrong? The whole team went down a gear. In those games where Hazard crushed it, we controlled the flow of the game. The wingbacks (Moses especially) were playing great. That isn't really happening anymore. The wingbacks and Matic/Kante are being exposed. As immense as Kante has been, him and Matic don't make for an effective midfield pairing. Our back 3 has been incredible and how well-coached Conte has this team is bailing us out. But we are proving to be lacking in some individual quality. That doesn't improve by selling our most prolific player (Hazard).

14. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If Cesc wasn't such a passenger on defense sometimes.

Soon as he came on, we were unleashed.

15. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fab's influence is worth dropping Willian and playing 2 up front imo.

16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think this is really worth trying to be honest.

17. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Anyone seen the video of Hazard smiling after Costa misses? Not sure what's that all about.

18. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like I said, only if he wasn't a cone on defense.

Soon as he came on we managed to look more threatening in a few minutes.

19. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    We should just play Zouma in RB position and convert Azpi to RW.

Hazard continues to underperform (and to be honest), that's been the biggest worry for me. He could/should be scoring regularly, but at times, it seems he just doesn't care.

20. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
    Have been waiting for this since the start of the season. Dave would make an excellent wingback. Moses started brightly but like he always does there is a return to the norm. Costa must not feel comfortable starting Zouma which is a shame.

21. Yahtzee

Yahtzee Member+

Nov 4, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not every member of the starting XI needs to be Franz Beckenbauer.

Meh, I just feel that our midfield is lacking right now. Hazard largely gets the ball in lame positions and when he does make great runs/beats defenders (which he does with regularity) he gets fouled. Whole attack is stagnant. Hazard is the least of my worries tbh.

22. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, I dont think it's a big deal. See the link below. He might be laughing at something else but it's not like he was laughing at the exact moment he missed. It was a shit penalty and deserves to be laughed at (any missed penalty is a shit penalty)

We're offensively very good when Costa and Hazard are clicking. They weren't last night.

We have a lot of decisions to make in the offseason.

Madrid are surely going to ask about Courtois.
    Costa will surely be gone.
    Madrid will surely ask about Hazard.
    Fabregas will likely want out.
    Alonso upgrade.
    Moses upgrade.

http://www.givemesport.com/975881-c...-eden-hazards-reaction-to-diego-costa-penalty

23. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    no dude, matip very clearly made contact. costa may have been going for it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a penalty. in real speed he goes over in a way that makes it look weird, but the close-ups show clattenburg's angle and it was clear. trying to find video but just seeing the miss right now. unless i comb through a full highlights video which i don't really feel like doing.:)

Blueallthru repped this.
  24. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    full blown wanker dive. hate it. ******** that play.

I hate it because Costa is good enough to plow through ********ing Joel Matip and shoot the ball through Mignolet's face into the net. He picked the easy way and lost.

25. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i have no idea why the video is mirrored except that it's probably not supposed to be up. but you can see costa's knee just stops due to matip's being in the way.

ugh, i tried to link to the specific time (which is 8m and 6s) but won't let me.