PBP: Matchday 9: ATL vs Toronto

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, May 6, 2019.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sheeeeiiit.
    Cautiously optimistic for the season at this point.

2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First 9 games under Martino: 11 points (and we didn't get a win in game 10 either, but we still made the playoffs)

First 9 games under deBoer: 14 points

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Overall a solid showing. Best feature on the night for me was seeing the boys recognize they could control the match about 10-15 minutes in, they began pushing everyone but Miles further up and committed to an offensive mindset. It came somewhere after LGP recovered from 1 defensive lapse - Toronto then retreated with their next possession. Next few times Atlanta had the ball after that they found space and were able to get off decent shots that showed them TFC could be had. Once that sank in FdB and Remedi were both redirecting traffic and calling targets.

Then early in the 2nd half Vanney made a pair of curious subs to change their offensive shape, only to have that fail. Looked like they were trying to get 2 strikers up and force Atlanta back but after about 5 minutes of absorbing pressure Atlanta not only found channels for long balls past the TFC midfield but they began to press themselves and forced Bradley to receive the ball deeper and deeper in the back third.

This wasn't exactly a beat down because the Reds had some good opportunities and Atlanta is still prone to spells of possession without productivity, but this was a comprehensive win. Pity is rounding into form, Josef showed his talents for feeding other attackers, Miles and LGP controlled the back... Just overall solid play for this stage of the MLS campaign.

Kudos to the crowd, too. Marks off for the whole arriving late thing and it wasn't exactly packed to the rafters, but after a spell they came good. They were especially good in celebrating Pity's chances, wanting him to feel supported. Dude responded, as well.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Regarding Josef, I was at a match at the beginning of last season and a friend described him as "the best lazy striker in the league". I thought this was an amusing comment at the time, but then Josef went on to set the league record for goals. And, as you noted, he certainly hasn't been lazy this year. Josef is a classic poacher mixed with a skilled assassin. He is short, but will win the header, and he is faster than greased lighting. I love Josef Martinez.

5. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Watching the match again... at the half. Here are my thoughts: Tito Villalba is super sexy and I want to have his baby. LGP was a beast. Pity looks great, and there looks like a lot of empty seats at MBS.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From my vantage point in the bottom of the supporters end I'd say that if the capacity is 42.5k then there was probably about 38k there, with on average 1,000 or so milling about the concessions. But especially at the start and the halftime there was a lot of that late-arriving fan thing going on. I was nervous for something truly embarrassing.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I don't get the milling around the concessions thing. I mean if you want a Chick-fil-a and a brew then do that before kick-off. It might mean two stops, but you'll actually get to watch the game you paid to watch.

I'll be out there Sunday stuffing my gut with chicken and brew in the gulch. Vamos, Vamos, Vamos, A-T-L!

8. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a Wednesday night during the busiest time of the school year. The target demographic includes an enormous number of school-age-kid-having parents. Judging by the reported attendance, United sold the vast majority of their single-game tickets. The no-shows were likely season ticket holders (who opted to spend their in-home goodwill for the Orlando game on Mother's Day instead of a hard-to-attend Wednesday night), not unsold tickets.

I'll be interested to see how the Mother's Day game goes, attendance-wise. The full stadium is open, and tickets are still available from the team. At least the other team is wearing a "girly" color: purple.

(You shut your mouth! That's the color of emperors! Gods among men! But also grapes. And Barney. And K&B drug stores.)

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Purple is my favorite fruit.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The Orlando board is a sad and lonely place.

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In spirit I'm with you but in my aged wisdom I fully understand that it's not that simple. Duty calls when duty calls. Lord knows I couldn't make it through Endgame without 1 bathroom trip. Plus for many of the passives/casuals in the crowd they want to hit the concessions when there's less crowd, or it might be the one guy making a beer run for the group.

Bottom line there's almost always someone in the concession area.

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I get that when nature calls you gotta answer. What I don't understand milling around because the stadium is awesome. I went to a game last year and some of my friends bought 'standing room only' tickets. They said it was a great time, but I need to actually have a good sight line to the pitch before I have fun

13. Five Stripes

Five Stripes New Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 10, 2019
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi! I don't mill around, but I'll admit I left the Cincy game at 85 minutes, but that was more because it was the most boring game I've ever seen. Glad the action is heating up now! When people leave early I am reminded of this:

The only good thing I discovered that game was the Chicken Sausage Stand near sec 316. When I was going back up to my seats everyone was asking where the heck I got that. Chicken Sausage Smothered in Chili and Cheese...

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Five Stipes... we now don nine stripes. What are they singing in that video?

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's Five Stripes, based on the badge. And the good Lord willing the jersey will match that and the right colors next time.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's Five Stripes, based on the badge. And the good Lord willing the jersey will match that and the right colors next time.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That shirt hurts to see. I was geared up to buy a new one and I still haven't, because it's so hideous. I'll probably end up with a King Peach

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree. I bought one only because my old one was showing wear and I figure it helps the team. Hoping next year's away warrants a purchase and then I can swap out frequently. But yeah, wrong shade of red and not enough gold on top of the thin stripes make it very blah for me.

If they hoist another trophy with it, however, I may start to like it a little more.