Matchday 8: LA Galaxy v Atlanta United

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Apr 21, 2018.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Away game to the Fighting Zlatans.

I think we're better than them, but the long travel and the road environment have typically not been good to us.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    StubHub Center - Carson (LA-ish)
    10:30 pm ET
    Fox Sports Southeast

MLS match preview here.

Villalba still doubtful for today's match at last check, and until we hear definitively otherwise I'm simply assuming Escobar is dead and currently wandering the gulch as an extra in The Walking Dead. :rolleyes:

Doug Roberson (AJC) had an article in midweek praising Kratz' performance last week in a rare start in Villalba's absence. While Kevin didn't door poorly I do think his decidedly different style and skill set changes what AUFC brings to the table as a Plan A of attack, enough that they need to work harder to get the most out of Martinez. If Barco starts today I suspect the thinking is similar, in that the young Argentine can provide someone else who can make the runs and diagonals that Tito offers. Really curious to see what Coach Martino throws out.

Defensively Atlanta HAS to contain Allesandrini and Lletget, IMO. It's their control and movement that steers the LAG attack and gives Zlatan the sent-in balls that he wants. Look for Atlanta to emphasize the pressing attack today and see if they can neutralize the LAG offense by making the game fast and full-field. I'd be tempted to have Almiron play more centrally and deeper to aid in this effort, as well.

Atlanta can and should win, though the late start in a road match, one where the Galaxy faithful will be amped up, will make it more difficult then we all penciled in 4 weeks ago. If the defense does their job a 3-1 win is very possible, but another 2-2 draw isn't out of question. I'm going with the former, thinking Tata has shown the lads they did enough to win last week and need to keep the momentum building in what is a very tough Eastern Conference.

3. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish Tata would consider Carleton and Robinson because I think both could have been effective tonight.

Anyways, what I expect Tata will line up.

GK Guzan
    RB McCann
    CB Parkhurst
    LB Gonzalez-Pirez
    DM Larentowicz
    RM Gressel
    CM Nagbe
    LM Garza
    RF Martinez
    CF Almiron
    LF Barco

Bench: Kann, Zizzo, Ambrose, Kratz, Wheeler, Williams, Vasquez

Atlanta 2
    GK Christiansen
    RB Metcalf
    CB Robinson
    CB Cochran
    LB Bello
    RM Kunga
    CM Goslin
    CM Shannon
    LM Gallagher
    CF Carleton
    FW Samuel

Bench: Caraux, Nicklaw, Kisssiedou, Mouillin, Carranza, Barajas, Sandoval

4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Road points! Three points on the road in MLS is always tough. Well done by the boys. We should've had more goals, but LA should have had at least one, as well.

Auriaprottu and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You could see near the end of the match the players were feeling the fatigue of the late start time. Or maybe that was just me feeling drowsy at watching them play after midnight!

- Barco looked much better than in his debut, no doubt helped by a week's worth of practice in the role. He linked well with his teammates and made some dangerous runs into the final third that looked more a part of the coordinated strategy rather than just a young, fast kid making a solo bombing run. Better still, he showed strength in holding his own against his opponents physically.

- Gressel continues to impress. He HAS to start, IMO. At least more often than not.

- Overall gameplan seemed spot on, and for long stretches of the game LAG was simply chasing the play. This served well to stifle the Galaxy attack and ease the Atlanta defense. Wish the offense could've been more clinical but the threats were there and I wouldn't have done anything differently. Done another 9 times I'm confident Atlanta scores more goals in the first half than we saw last night at least 5 times, and the tenor of the game changes after that.

- Martinez' penalty - I just can't. I don't know what it is about taking these things that players have to try and stand out, but I'm all for not overthinking. A low kick with power to the corners from there is unstoppable. Just do it.

- Guzan looked pretty solid, and the defense came through on several tight occasions. Parky continues to play like a man on a mission and LGP had a great saving tackle in the 2nd half. Still enduring spells where they can't quite clear the ball, but given the parity of the league as a whole the unit is looking pretty strong lately.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    I just don't think we can say enough about Almiron. He is so damned good. Simply everywhere. During that stretch of 3/4 posts in 80 seconds his pocket pick of Kitchen was sublime. Almost effortlessly walked up, took the ball, and raced down for a gilt edged opportunity putting a laser off the cross bar. His time here is short. I just hope this fan base never starts to take him for granted while he's here.

Agreed with Gunner Jacket on Martinez's PK style. Just step up, make a decision and execute. Stop the shenanigans. The funny thing here is that he didnt fool the keeper in to going the wrong way but still beat him clean...straight in to the post.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think that will be the problem. I think the pressure we might put onto the team once he does leave will be the issue. If we do our part as fans and keep this team an attractive destination then odds are the players and coaches will want to keep coming here, so hopefully whoever serves in the role of Almiron after the originator leaves will be a solid player and we can stay the strong, supportive, loyal legion that will drive the team onward.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    With Portland beating NYC today this made the victory over LAG all the more critical. Atlanta needs to seal as many points as possible over the course of the season, and that's especially the case for keeping leads and and stealing points on the road. One thing NYC can say is they've had many of their toughest road trips already in visiting SKC, ATL and now Portland, so we may not see as many weekends like this one turn our way.

9. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Keeping Tata for as long as possible will be key and of course 45k of us showing up to every game will only encourage the next generation of Almiron's to keep coming to ATL.