Matchday 7, Saturday September 30th, 2017, Chelsea FC v Manchester City

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We were clearly tired with only one day of preparation after such a massive midweek away game. I doubt we would have maintained the last 10 min intensity for the entire 90. Not to absolve Conte of all blame as he made some weird decisions. Only shows how slim our side is.

2. Bruckner283

Bruckner283 Member+

Apr 25, 2006
    Lake Of The Coheeries
  3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's early in the season still, if we are going to play with contained effort consistently we won't do anything, players shouldn't be tired. We should have come at them earlier instead of wasting the time we had Hazard with fresher legs.

It's less down to actual tiredness and more about protecting the legs.

City worked much harder throughout and we should aspire to that in September. Credit to them, they earned the win.

Now just hoping Morata has a light injury and nothing more serious, Bats cannot lead the line as he can.

4. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We played like scared children.

Fundamentals were poor.

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mix of everything really but disagree on fatigue being a red herring.

Wrath repped this.
  7. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just don't think tiredness was the primary reason we lost today, not even close. As Matt Law suggests in his twitter this was a tactical loss above anything.

We put in a heroic effort in the week, but again, it's September.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    1/6 at home against "big teams". Not going to win the league like that.

9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Primary? No. Auxiliary? Yes. And we were bad out there.

Still early days and all but we will see.

10. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Tough end. After Morata went out, we looked like we were down to 10 men. There seems to be no Plan B w/o Morata. Replacing him with Willian was a kick in the gut for Bats on top of it.

11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm sure fatigue played a role Conte got it wrong tactically. The 3-5-2 wasn't effective and we should have reverted back to the 3-4-3. It was also clear things weren't clicking and he should have made a sub far sooner to inject something anything into the game. I love Azpi but he just doesn't provide the punch we need at RWB. Either start Moses or give Zappacosta a chance.

cokeyounut repped this.
  12. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Second best by some distance, very disappointing after the promise of midweek, the sad truth is City are just better than us, I just hope its the powder blue half of Manchester that wins the league (I think they will)

13. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1. It's between the Manchester teams this season. That was my thought before the season and it's still my thought now. I like the signings we made but if we wanted a chance, we needed to sign a real impact player to make a step up.

2. I never expected Michy to come on for Morata. If you remember to last season, when Costa was out, Michy never started in his place. Always Hazard up top with Pedro/Willian off. When Michy decides to stop having a trampoline as a first touch, maybe he'll get the call.

3. Christensen showed his quality, but watching also as a US Men's fan, this is a quality you don't want to see. What I mean is, our defense should not have been pressured that much anyway. I applaud his skill and tenacity but what's more revealing were the problems all over the pitch (a la Tim Howard in 2014 v. Belgium).

4. Upcoming schedule - this October will be the biggest test in terms of how we do this season.

away to Palace
    home to Roma
    home to Watford
    home to Everton (cup)
    away to Bournemouth
    away to Roma
    home to United

Wrath repped this.
  14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I think Morata's injury and the short turnaround were factors, even if it wasn't Conte's best tactical performance.

cokeyounut, Kazuma and Wrath repped this.
  15. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Our great Brazilian

914294775578349568 is not a valid tweet id

yasik19 repped this.
  16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And yet, some will say he never makes big saves anymore.......

17. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On replay, I would have been pissed if he had NOT saved it. But a good save nonetheless.

18. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've always thought TC was a great shot stopper, but lacking in the organizational/vocal part of the position. I'm still seeing confusion in the back where Cahill or Luiz is screaming for TC to come out and command the box/ball and it's not happening. Frustrating. Still one of the world's best.

I would like to see the De Bruyne goal and see if it was stoppable. Lots of speed and close quarters.

19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    With Morata I felt we could grabbed a win. Without, we looked a man down and scared of what is a team with plenty of weaknesses to exploit.

20. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I agree that TC does not come for the ball often enough which is strange since the thing that initially made me favour him over Chech was that he seemed much more positive in coming for crosses. I can only assume that has been coached out of him by the staff at Chelsea