Matchday 7: AUFC vs. CFG: New York

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Apr 13, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    April 15, 2018
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium
    6 pm ET
    FS1

A match that could go a long way to deciding the Eastern Conference will highlight the MLS weekend slate as the top 2 teams in the conference, and 2 of the 3 favorites for the conference, square off in Atlanta. NYC hasn't lost yet, even with a few games played without their uber-star David Villa. They come in looking like a serious challenger to usurp the reigning MLS Cup champs TFC, full of poise and talent as they execute Patrick Vieira's system. The sense is they can win it all this year and the financiers behind this project would love to get a first major trophy.

While not regarded as explosive offensively NYC has scored at least 2 in every match and features a pair of quality shooters in Moralez and Tajouri who've each found the net 4 times so far this season. Medina, Moralez and Hererra have done well in piloting their midfield-centric ball-control style of play, allowing them to succeed at a difficult SKC and boss the game against most of their opponents. Keeper Sean Johnson has also looked even better than last year's quality performance, and is working well with his defense in providing quick transitions to keep NYC in possession. With TFC having played only 3 league games so far NYC are looking like the team to beat so far.

Atlanta comes in riding a 4 game win streak but taking some knocks along the way. League scoring leader Josef Martinez suffered an arm injury in mid-week practice, so while he is expected to play one wonders how many knocks his left arm can take before it affects his play. His strike partner in Tito Villalba left last week's game in the 2nd half with a muscle strain and has had only limited practice this week. Meanwhile, Escobar remains under medical supervision and Barco is still listed as questionable. On the bright side LGP is off suspension and eligible to line up again, and better still McCann, Ambrose and others have filled in admirably.

Atlanta has yet to play a complete game, due in part to personnel turnover and (presumably) the season being young. If they can bring it all together with the home crowd behind them then this should be a very entertaining game and the Five Stripes should have every chance to win. But make no mistake, NYC will prove more formidable than LAFC and will surely do a better job pouncing on any mistakes by Atlanta.

I'm feeling plucky in this one with Atlanta having confidence and NYC a little flustered due to the midweek fixture they played vs RSL. 3-2 to the good.

Note: If you're going please be in better form than last week. The crowd struggled to sustain some chants and got too involved in the refereeing rather than cheer on the lads. Let's take it up a notch!

Guardien repped this.
  2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC is coming off a mid-week game and traveling and playing on unfamiliar turf. And in front of 45,000 fans.

I think Atlanta wins this one going away, barring another 11v10 situation.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Okay, so now a pair of articles are implying Villalba will NOT play today, so options could be to push Gressel forward and add Kratz in the back, or keep Gressel deeper in the midfield and start Romario Williams up front with Martinez. (To wit, have those two ever played together?)

Will need Martinez' speed to really work the NYC central defenders and keep the field stretched.

4. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    (As shared in the PBP thread)

Back from the match. Overall a fun encounter and arguably a deserved sharing of the points. Crowd was in good form. NYC had the bulk of possession but I'd say the volume of quality attacks was about the same. Still feels like a classic kissing-your-sister result, and I really hate that Atlanta couldn't break NYC's unbeaten run. Especially after giving up a stupid penalty (Shame to see Parky give that up) and having doubts about their 2nd.

Random takeaways:

- Barco. Meh. Looked about as expected for an 18yo making his debut with a senior side. Frankly I wouldn't have used him today but would've brought on Williams, instead.
    - Following up on Barco, I do question how he'll fit in a possible starting XI. Gressel has proven a very quality player and great at feeding the ball into the final third. Nagbe is coming around. Which leaves defensive midfielders like Larentowicz, and it's safe to say Barco isn't replacing the big ginger. Anyway...
    - Have to rewatch the highlights but I really, really thought Villa was offside on the buildup to NYC's 2nd goal. Received the ball on the right inside channel and was a few yards in front of his closest defender, but I haven't been able to see highlights showing the other defenders at that time.
    - Have to agree with the VAR that cancelled Nagbe's goal. Regrettable, but by the rules of the game that's the right call.
    - Atlanta really missed Villalba. Kratz is an able midfielder but he didn't shine tonight and Atlanta missed having another attacker who could cut inside and mirror the pace of Martinez. The long balls on offer were essentially wasted and Atlanta's usual plan of attack was muted as a result. Martinez played like someone missing his best friend.
    - It's going to be interesting seeing the fates of Atlanta, NYC, and TFC come to bear. Someone's gotta win the conference and someone's going to be stuck in 3rd (or possibly lower).

Hope it provided for some entertaining show on TV.

Cheers.

7. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On NYC's first goal, LGP left Berget all alone, like he ran AWAY from the attacker instead of trying to mark him. The only thing that kept Berget from scoring was Parkhurst's recovery run (which unfortunately led to a PK instead). Guzan really should have saved the PK, as well.

NYC had some good spells of possession, though, so I think in the end a 2-2 draw is a fair result.

Supporter's Shield is nice and all, but MLS Cup is where the glory is. It doesn't matter who finishes 1st or 3rd in the conference as long as we win the playoffs.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I take comfort in knowing that NYC essentially needed all the breaks to get the draw. Two silly mindfarts by Atlanta defenders lead to the penalty, a rather unfortunate (but accurate, I guess) application of the offside/interference rule canceled out Nagbe's goal, and their last goal I will attest was set up by Villa being offside until I'm shown otherwise. Not saying NYC didn't deserve a draw, because they did control large swaths of the play, but it's not like Atlanta was undeserving of a win, either.

I'm cool with the result, though. It's a long season and drawing against the league favorites is nothing to sneeze at.