PBP: Matchday 6: B15.Germany - Spain

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    77' 1-0 Spain subs in (3 of 3) #18 Aitana Bonmati for #11 Alexia Putellas.

78' 1-0 Lucia García nutmegs Schweers (with great effort) at box top wide left, but then lunges after ball and stomps Däbritz's right ankle.

80' 1-0 Germany subs in (3 of 3) #18 Melanie Leupolz for #8 Lena Goeßling.

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who was wearing it in particular, these days?

3. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I “live” over in BSMX for the most part. I’ll honor your request by saying that I still love you. :inlove: And I wish nothing but the best for your team. :) Surely, you got tickets right?

Not to derail but I noticed this weekend that little Iwabuchi is all grown up now. Wow.:)

blissett repped this.
  4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    82' 1-0 Now it's Germany with many pings, as Spain tire of chasing long kicks. Hegering runs on at arc top left, shoots right instep but drags it wide left low.

83' 1-0 Lucia García receives a through-ball at arc top mid-right, rides off two challenges and stays upright down mid-right to 9m. Soft cross rolls to 7m center, nobody is making that run, Schult comes out and falls on it. This is Spain: can't short-pass in the box when nobody's already there.

85' 1-0 Chippy play (just torso contact, no fisticuffs yet) is now allowed to proceed all over the field :coffee:

87' 1-0 Germany sustain pressure in Spain's box, have considerably more energy left. Cross from mid-right to 9m 1/3 left, Bühl heads down to Paños at goalline.

5. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the officiating in this match. The ref is letting too many things go unchecked.

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I knew it, but it's good to hear you saying it! ;)

Now, it's "my teams": although much behind Japan, I am following Italy NT with great sympathy. :)

Captive at work for most part of the tournament, so I couldn't get the long holyday in France I was wishing for (if only they had scheduled the tournament in July instead of June! :x3:), but I've been in Paris this monday to watch Argentina-Japan. :)

Romario'sgurl, MiLLeNNiuM and KAPIJXM repped this.
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    89' 1-0 Marta slips a diagonal pass to Nahikari at 13m mid-right, she runs self into Hegering and sprawls down -- no call. Marta interposes body and regains, goes down box right and banks ball off Schweers(?) for a corner.

90' 1-0 Paredes fk at circle back right, R1 warns Huth to give space. Paños comes up to take it, long to 15m 6-left, headed away. +3'.

8. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like the VAR refs are trying to make up, in this match, for their earlier mistake in Spain's first match.

9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mario Gotze wears 19. He's the only guy I can think of.

10. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Despite being 2-0, Germany has not impressed

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You mean 1-0, no?

12. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+2' (of +3') 1-0 L.García chases ball down at 10m mid-right, wins a corner.

90+2' (of +3') 1-0 Hermoso right ck, cleared to 14m mid-left. Bonmati touches back to 16m 6-left, shoots right instep, blocked to 0.5m 6-left and Schult comes out and dives on it.

90+4' (of +3') 1-0 Magull fk at 25m wide left, short tap left, Popp goes to left corner flag.

FT 1-0. Spain couldn't create a goal, and got worn down by their own activity. Germany created a bunch of chances, and missed them all.

13. dmax316

dmax316 Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    spain must find a goal scorer...BADLY

blissett repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For what I've seen, it wouldn't have been a scandal if this game had ended in a draw, but Germany manages to squeeze in another win. You can't always win 13-0, but frankly I was unimpressed by Germany's unprolific performances so far.

Now China-Spain (assuming China beats South Africa) becomes quite interesting.

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Spain simply can't take their chances, they just hesitate when chances comes rather than at least try to shoot.

Glad to see Dabritz scores.

16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Guess he meant 1-0 (vs China) + 1-0 (vs Spain), but at first I was confused too.

In fact overall Germany didn't impress in any of those matches.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Spain are the most frustrating team to watch. Classy passing and flicks but absolutely zero end product. I always watch their games as a neutral and then end up completely annoyed :laugh:

[​IMG]

lil_one, orcrist, L'orange and 2 others repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Late sub Patri Gujiarro could have been that player, but she picked up an injury before the tournament and, although she's back, she's not 100% healthy, I guess.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    They won the first match also

20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well, I was impressed with your home team this weekend. I rooted for them hard until I realized that are in my team’s group. :eek::p Next Tuesday’s match will more anticipated than I ever expected.

I think Japan will give England a good match. I told people this group was tougher than it looks on paper.

Oh, and back on thread topic: Germany looks rather pedestrian despite all the talent and experienced manager...

21. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, then you would have said 2-0-0. That was mt confusion :p

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Their men are pretty much the same these years. Their golden generation has Villa and Torres.

23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    2-0 is their win record this tournament.

Edit: Obviously, this comment wasn't necessary.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal:

Wow, Germany's post-match coverage just had the most brutal replay of the goal sequence, with players' running paths highlighted with dashed lines, Popp's sneaky lateral separation from Parades' back shown with a double-arrow, and Marta's sight cone drawn in red, pointing directly goalward and not at Däbritz :oops:

Someday this will be a PowerPoint presentation --

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Däbritz is so pretty, I noticed her since last WWC and she played quite well these years.