Matchday 6: AUFC vs LAFC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Apr 7, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    April 7, 2018
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium
    5:00 pm ET
    ESPN

MLSsoccer.com preview found here.

Arguably the league's highlight match of the weekend as this year's fast-starting newcomer meets last year's fast-starting newcomer. LAFC is obviously smarting from being Zlataned last weekend but they've still shone brightly in their few matches this season, demonstrating firepower and work rate to suggest they can make the post-season.

Unfortunately for Atlanta fans and neutral viewers the good guys come into this contest limping. Barco is back to training next week but remains out, Escobar is listed as unavailable under lingering concussion protocol, Larentowicz is considered doubtful from last week's ankle sprain, and Pirez is on the bench suffering a case of redcarditis. This mean's Atlanta is without a minimum of 3 starters, plus we'll all be watching Garza to see if his arm/shoulder can handle any physical play. Not the time to play against a team that likes to press. *sigh*

LAFC (Laugh Inc?) comes in with a very potent offense featuring a Vela-Rossi combination that has paired like long-time teammates and allowed them to attack with confidence. Perhaps better still, apart from last week's 2nd half their defense has been just as sharp, with Ciman and MLS veteran Beitashour keeping the side poised and avoiding major mistakes. And while LA's stellar opening performances came against weakened Seattle and RSL sides they did come on the road, so this team thus far hasn't been intimidated. If anything they'll look to build momentum into their eventual home debut.

Expect Zisso and McCann to fill in on defense today, even if McCann fills in for Larentowicz if Garza is good to go. But whatever the lineup Parkhurst will have to do a masterful job directing traffic so as to minimize the opportunities for LA's attack. Nagbe has looked sharper and he and Almiron have done better of late assisting the defense, something they'll likely be called upon to do regularly today. Both teams like to play wide so it will be a full-field affair.

Barring "one of those days" in front of the net I'm fully expecting the team that swings 55%+ of the ball control to take the points. If ATL is pushed back onto their heels with the Plan B defense struggling to keep up then this could look a lot like last year's home loss to Minnesota. If Almiron and Co. can control the ball in midfield and dictate the tempo then Atlanta still has enough firepower to win, as well.

Let's call it a cagey 2-2 draw.

2. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Not optimistic today. Just think the injuries play to LAFC's hand a little too cleanly. Don't see us controlling midfield and expect this to be a track meet. With our patchwork back line, and seeing how LAFC dismantled the Galaxy in the first hour last week, they're going to post a crooked number. can we finish well enough to get a share of the spoils? Recent execution in front of the goal hints to no.

C'mon, Peach. Surprise me today. Show me we have defensive depth and can finish!!

3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was so close. We did not play up the middle. We somehow got wide play out of that defensive formation. But nearly the whole game, when LAFC had the ball there were five across the back with Nagbe and Larentowicz just in front of them. I'm not sure Ambrose got out of his own half of the field on that left wing.

Gressel had a MONSTER game, though. We're not paying him enough. Any chance he's an American citizen and eligible to play for the US in the next qualifying cycle?

Ambrose and McCann (other than getting red carded) had a pretty quietly efficient game. Parkhurst commanded that back line masterfully. Robinson was probably the weakest link of the defense, but other than a couple of panic moments he was very good. Larentowicz and Nagbe really shore up the defense by clogging the middle.

LAFC has the talent to open up even a good defense like a can of sardines. I think once the Gressel/Martinez machine put the second goal past them, they gave up and checked out of the game.

Gunner repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pretty much agree with that assessment. Parky was amazing yesterday, even creating that first goal scoring opportunity and almost adding another. Considering the tools at his disposal he got 10/10 for me.

Thrilled to see Larentowicz walk off intact, but now hoping Villalba's injury isn't serious.

Nagbe is beginning to gel with the side. He's not creating as much offensively as Asad but he is doing better on defensive support and keeping possession.

Ambrose was surprisingly strong yesterday and I'm shocked, but thrilled, that the defense put up the goose egg. LAFC had, what, 2 shots on goal? Rossi was practically invisible and Vela had to work overtime to provide any threat. Really pleased with the display from so many bench players.

This bodes well that the team a) wasn't intimidated by a "big brand" coming to town and b) continues to find new ways to grind out wins. Last season it was the lack of a Plan B that lead to so many dropped points, but early signs this year suggests that may not repeat.

5. Gunner

Gunner Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Marietta, Ga USA
    Agree with Sabre here and loved seeing the maturation of this team on the back end continue. LAFC carried nearly 60% of possession but rarely looked scary. Meanwhile our counters were lethal!

I feel really bad for their left back. Gressel stripped him naked over the course of the evening. Just a dominating performance from last year's rookie of the year.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the controversial calls. We were very fortunate to get the benefit of the doubt on virtually every 50/50 call. Home cooking? Luck of the draw?

-McCann. You can argue he got the ball first (he did). You could argue his studs were down (I may be able to be convinced). But that was a high, violent, tackle. Certainly a yellow+, and in real time speed, I can see that being called a red. I know I'd be howling for a red if that happened to one of our players. Glad that the VAR worked for us in this case as that would have COMPLETELY changed the game if McCann is off and we're a man down for 89 and a half minutes.

Almiron penalty? Dodgy in my book. Didn't impact the game.

Flattering final score line but thought we deserved all 3 points.

GoDawgsGo repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree that the first penalty awarded ATL was dubious, but there's no way I see McCann's foul as a red. The bulk of the contact came from the LA player's follow through after McCann touched the ball, so it wasn't intentionally malicious and we've seen more egregious contact given yellows frequently.

Says I, anyway.

7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya that's a pretty terrible and completely incorrect interpretation of both what happened and the LOTG :ROFLMAO:

It's an orange card. Ref had every right to go red from the angle he had live. Thank god for VAR on this one or we probably lose this one 5 nil. McCann is an idiot for lunging in this way. Just stupid to even put the referee in that position. Not the first time I've seen him my tackle this way, unfortunately it won't be the last either.

8. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a yellow for "Unsporting behavior" or a red for "Serious foul play." In this instance, McCann came in forcefully and with disregard for his opponent's safety. This would be a "reckless" foul. He did come in from the front, he pulled his studs back, and he got 100% ball (and 100% player). That would be a very harsh red card, and the only reasoning that would apply would be "danger of injuring his opponent." If his studs had made contact with the opponent, or if he'd clipped him at the knees instead of the shins, I could see a red. But in this case, I don't think he tackled him high enough or hard enough to warrant a red without showing his studs.

McCann's hips made contact with Feilhaber's shins, and McCann's arms were up to keep Feilhaber from kicking him in the head as he slid past. That's how late Feilhaber was to the ball. If McCann was trying to hit Feilhaber, he missed badly.

After VAR, it was the right call without question. Regardless, it was a dumb tackle. Playing 89+ minutes on a yellow against LAFC is not smart.

9. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with your overall assessment and your terminology is close but to clarify:

A simply foul is considered - Careless
    Yellow - Unsporting Behavior - Reckless
    Red - Serious Foul Play - Excessive Force and/or Endangering the safety of an opponent

So you kind of disagreed with your own self. At first you admitted he disregarded his opponent's safety. If that's your opinion as the referee, you need to show a red card.

This situation is an orange card. It has some criteria for red, but at the professional level it's a yellow. Youth, HS, and most amateur games this needs to be red.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/13/31/2010-referee-week-in-review-week-6

SIAPOA is in that link. Break down as follows:

Speed - red
    Intent - yellow
    Aggressive nature - red
    Position of tackler - yellow (it's low rather than high)
    Opportunity - yellow (he wins the ball but also goes through opponent)
    Atmosphere - yellow (1st minute)

SIAPOA break down leans towards yellow.

Regardless, McCann is a world class moron for putting in a challenge like that in the modern game, especially in the 1st minute. He's a liability for future reds and so is LGP.

Attached below are the FIFA considerations.

Attached Files:

SabreKhan repped this.
  10. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd definitely agree that it's much more likely to be a red at the youth level. "Disregard" for safety is not the same thing as actually "endangering" the opponent. There's not really a constructive endangerment analysis. It's hair-splitting, but important in the final calculus for this particular call.

GoDawgsGo repped this.