Matchday 5 | Saturday, April 6 | Austin Bold FC

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Apr 6, 2019.

1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-4-6_6-18-4.png upload_2019-4-6_6-19-9.png

upload_2019-4-6_6-31-37.png
    upload_2019-4-6_6-26-21.png
    upload_2019-4-6_6-27-56.png
    From the MatchDay guide...

Austin Bold FC (1-1-1, 4 pts) enter Saturday’s contest after earning their first win in club history against regional rivals San Antonio FC. The league newcomer is headed up by Brazilian forward Kleber who has scored both goals so far in Bold FC’s three-game history. Austin is led by Brazilian head coach Marcelo Serrano who previously managed the U.S. Virgin Islands Men’s National Team, as well as serving as assistant coach for the United States U-17 and Brazil U-17 National Teams.

2. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin may have a pretty tight defense with Diego Restropo in goal and two defenders with lots of MLS experience, Jermaine Taylor and Sacramento native Amobi Okugo (Rio Americano & Jesuit).

fortunesfool223 repped this.
  3. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that wasn't the most riveting soccer I've seen but at least the last 15 minutes was worth the cost of attendance. It looks like Simon is still tinkering with combinations.

The new guy, McCrary, looked fine. He didn't bring a lot going forward but that will probably come as he becomes more familiar with the team.

Go Bears!

4. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2019-4-7_7-5-34.png
    Other thoughts/comments:
    • We're back to listing games as sell-outs
    • Our goal was scored an own-goal, given that Taylor clearly tried to head the ball away.
    • Haris did not start but came in as a sub. He had his forearm wrapped or in a soft case. I'm guessing that going forward he's still the starter, McCrary is the new left back and Taintor will be the first defender off the bench.
    • Unless called for a foul, I think Keinan won each of his aerial duels.
    • Bijev seems just a little off this season. He's had his moments but I wonder if he's taking it easy because of the earlier hamstring injury.
    • Blackwood either cramped up or felt a twinge in the hamstring late in the game. It happened during a full sprint so I'm guessing hamstring.
    • With the possible exception of Jake Gleeson, emphasis on possible, Josh is easily the best keeper we've had between the pipes.
    • Simon continues to tinker with the starting 11. Last night Iwasa was back up top in place of Bonomo, with Villareal slotting into Iwasa's usual central mid/withdrawn forward spot. I think I like Bonomo starting. He's good at applying pressure when we play the high defensive line and he gives Iwasa more room to operate in the gap between the backline and midfield.

6. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Completely different energy to the game after 60' when Bonomo came on. Nice to see that off the bench, could we have seen it all match long?

Interesting name, "Austin Bold", for a team that plays a 4-4-2 parking lot formation. If they continue this style, their home matches are gonna be brutal.

Our D looked solid, but to be fair, their O was less than compelling.

Why is Bijev?

7. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched this on my phone during a wedding, so I may have missed a few things down here under the pews, lol.

A couple of observations:

1. We are a more dangerous team with Bonomo and Warner on the field. Austin did a great job of tying up forward movement until those two got time.

2. Austin’s players are better than the fouls they committed. One, maybe two, could have been straight up red cards. They were either frustrated by Republic’s possession, or just flat out asshats.

3. I like what im seeing from the players and coach Simon. We got bottled up, but instead of hunkering down for the point, his first two subs were offense-minded subs.

8. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USLChampionship.com Man of the Match

Mitchell Taintor, Sacramento Republic FC – Taintor completed 80 of 88 passes, made eight clearances and four recoveries as Republic FC recorded a shutout victory.

9. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t argue with that pick. Our defense held off some very experienced players......although Austin outshot us 8-3 on SOG in the first half.

I thought Restrepo was the difference maker in the match.....that guy always makes great saves against us.

10. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    That goal should have counted for Villarreal - it was a shot on target

11. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Laws of the Game offers no definition of an own goal (the last I knew) and this type of play is perhaps the most controversial. Your interpretation has the support of plenty of officials, from what I've read. I think Villareal should get credit, too.

12. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you both....ironically, i think Restrepo had Villareal’s original shot path covered. Without the deflection, imho, it was most likely saved.

13. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villareal's goal earns him a spot on the USL team of the week. The league also says the scoring was changed and that he's now been credited with the goal.

Robdog repped this.
  14. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The soccer gods knew. Lol