Matchday 5: MNUFC vs AUFC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Mar 31, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    TCF Bank Stadium — Minneapolis
    8:00 pm ET – March 31, 2018
    Fox SportsSouth

MLSSoccer.com review here.

After a nondescript performance last week(!) Atlanta United returns to action making another trip to the North Star State to visit the Fighting Loons. And, surprise surprise, there be snow on the ground so who's got the orange balls?!

Both Nagbe and Almiron featured in the midweek special between a youthful USMNT and a hackneyed and distracted Paraguay, wherein the former put on a very strong display. Neither came away injured but it's possible the wear and tear of the match may have an affect.

Minnesota comes in with some injury issues, with Kevin Molino marking the most notable absence tonight due to an ACL tear. Former Five Stripes player Tyrone Mears is listed as questionable as well as a couple of others and the shifting lineups contributed to their shoddy display in a loss to Red Bull: New York last week. So while the roster has arguably more talent than last year the Loons are still searching for consistency, but they have shown the capability for fine form in winning their first two games.

For Atlanta Barco and Vasquez remain the notable absences from injury and Escobar has been cleared to play following concussion protocol from two weeks ago, so by all accounts the starting XI will remain the same as we've seen play out with the only question mark being Garza vs McCann depending on fitness. Given the weather and Minnesota's injury issues Garza's speed may not be missed as crucially as expected, so if he could benefit from further rest then McCann may show off his skiing skills for all to see tonight.

Atlanta's last match vs Vancouver offers a good demonstration of how this match might play out tactically, even if with the huge asterisk of the Waston red card: Minnesota will likely bunker down given their injuries and look to strike on the counter or play a very tight possession battle in the middle of the field. Look for Ismuss, Finlay and Ibarra to try and bottle the midfield and limit Atlanta's ability to use the width. If the weather is truly bad they may also seek to slow the game down and allow Atlanta to feel the cold even more. Conversely, Atlanta will want to strike early in hopes of building fearful recollections in the Loon faithful about last year's 6-1 debacle. Especially if Atlanta can get Martinez off to a decent start and hold their own defensively then they should at least claim a point.

3-1 Atlanta says I. Martinex, Gressel and ??

GoDawgsGo and wetcrispy repped this.
  2. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting pumped for the game. Wish I had flown up for it. Curious to see what we come out in and who is on the bench.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Okay, apparently Escobar is still ineligible, so Garza in and McCann fills in for Franco.

No snow on the field but very low temps.

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Defenders... we don’t need no stinkin defenders.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: ATL 1-0 MNU

Pirez with a pair of yellows means Stripes play the last 50 mins down a man. His temper is so aggravating, and I'm sure Tata will take him to task for the 2nd, which was an unnecessary knock out of bounds that completely changes the tenor of the match.

MNU has been playing with confidence and had some decent chances of their own making. Would like to have seen how Tata adjusted at the half with a full 11.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    73' and Andrew Wheeler-Omineu makes his debut for an injured Larentowicz.

Atlanta in full on stall mode with now their 4th player of the half staying down for a spell.

7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Stout win for the Stripes! Love seeing a gritty W under adverse conditions. McCann and Parkhurst were really good tonight, and Guzan had a couple great saves. Wheeler looked decent but a little over zealous. Sal Zizzo also makes his ATL debut and made a contribution.

Not pretty, but in its own way beautiful. Now we have to pray Larentowicz will be okay.

8. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or does the defense look better without LGP on the field? Picks up cards -- again -- and gets kicked off the pitch in the first half.

Always happy with a road win in MLS, no matter how ugly or forced it is.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wouldn't use last night as the ideal indicator in that regard. Not only was Minnesota without a solid striker but also the team was forced to play an all-out defensive approach.

If you're theory is correct then we'll find out for sure next week.

10. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except we won't. No way will big L be back that quick and even though he's back up CB, he's not even a CB. Who's up? Robinson? If Escobar is healthy, McCann at CB?

LGP is such a liability. Hope he gets a huge fine for taking so long to leave the field too.

11. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play a 3-5-2 with Parkhurst as the Lone Ranger, but the outside backs play as fullbacks rather than wingers. The two DMs pick up most of the defensive duties like tracking forwards and #10s, etc., allowing Parky to play a sort of sweeper role. It forces our offense to play through the middle rather than spread out on the wings, but we have the offensive horses to do it.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What’s the report on Big Red.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As of today's paper he still hasn't returned to training and is in the dreaded "Day-to-day" category. I'm thinking he's doubtful because we won't want to risk making it worse and by now Tata should be grooming personnel for the gameday strategy. We'll see.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can agree that’s the wise decision... plus, at ten thousand years old, he is going to have to rest some games anyways.

It won’t happen under Tata, but I’d love to throw Goslin into the fire and see how he does. Add in Robinson... however, it’s pretty clear that Tata does not trust either.

15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing Robinson and Kratz or McCann and Kratz.

Or just to a 3 back instead of 4. Probably more likely. Either way I'm guessing Kratz is going to have to put in 90.