PBP: Matchday 5: F12.USA - Thailand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. ShambolicDefense

Sep 10, 2015
    No. That's not an accurate summary of my thoughts

2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #77 Smallchief, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    I find this team to be more likable than the 2011-2015 version. Abby Wambach was the master of gamesmanship, constantly trying to gain some advantage, complaining, etc. Alex Morgan frequently seemed petulant to me, and Tobin Heath was sometimes a menace to opposing players. Hope Solo? Enuff said.

Thus, the present team seems pretty likable to me. Heath and Morgan have matured; and all the players seem gracious. There's no obnoxious Abby nor obnoxious Solo.

Regarding the celebrations, I do recall how irritated the US team was at the celebration of the Norwegian team in, when, 1995? So, maybe they were excessive -- but I don't think they were vindictive.

MiLLeNNiuM, McSkillz and soccernutter repped this.
  3. ShambolicDefense

Sep 10, 2015
    #78 ShambolicDefense, Jun 11, 2019
    I don't really care so much about the "virtues" of unwritten rules in sports, etc. It's a little too uppity-up for me. These women are pros, and if they can score 13 goals against other pros, then it is what it is.

I suppose what bugged me about the goal celebrations was that they just felt awkward. Kind of forced in a show-offy way. Was there really THAT much energy and excitement over goals 8-13?

I definitely didn't feel it as a spectator. And usually as a fan you get more emotionally frenzied up in the heat of a game than a pro athlete does.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  4. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    After what I saw today, I have little desire to support the Americans, not anymore. I just do not swallow their lack of class and sportsmanship . It's a shame .
    Rapinoe was really vulgar. In short there is a saying that says : "Aunque la mona se vista de seda, mona se queda" : "Although the monkey dresses in silk, it will always be a monkey".

Kakeru and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't read that here. I read that it is more disappointment and irritation with how the team behaved regarding some of the goal celebrations once the game was well out of hand, the exception being for Pugh, who everybody recognizes as scoring her first WC goal and rightfully celebrating. And it also reads as only a few posters being highly critical. And a few of us I know are US supporters.

This reminds me of the Germany v. Brasil match of the MWC semis in 2014. Go look at the highlights and see how the Germans celebrated once they were up by 3. Smiles on their faces, but nothing hugely celebratory. That is how the goal celebrations, Pugh aside, should have been done once the game was at 4-0 or 5-0. And those who went over the top should get rightly criticized, IMO.

6. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    With topics like this, thought and listening or any human communication rarely happens. But this connected with me. Thank you.

7. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Annoyingly whiney to complain about over-celebrating. While it was completely unnecessary, and pretty stupid, no harm was meant by it.

Do think most of the moral outrage is just disguised anti-American sentiment.

BlueCrimson and McSkillz repped this.
  8. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Pretty fresh bait. Perhaps a hint of offside though in light of the mod warning.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just went back and looked at all the goal celebrations, and there are a few I have issues with in the 2nd half. But more than the goal scorer, I have an issue with Rapinoe.
    Goal 4 by Mewes - Right off the first half, start of the unknown. Okay, give it a good celebration. (Rapinoe)
    Goal 5 by Morgan (her 2nd) - Good smile, but that is who she is, and certainly not the celebration of her first.(Rapinoe)
    Goal 6 by Mewes (her 2nd) - Over celebration by both her and Lavelle
    Goal 7 by Lavelle (her 2nd) - A bit too much excitement by Lavelle, but notice Morgan not really celebrating.
    Goal 8 by Morgan (her 3rd) - Almost no celebration by Morgan. (Rapinoe)
    Goal 9 by Rapinoe (her 1st) - Waaaaaay over the top and uncalled for.
    Goal 10 by Morgan (her 4th) - Nothing over exuberant, but the count was not really appropriate considering there were only 10 minutes left on the clock.
    Goal 11 by Pugh (her 1st) - Good celebration, but really more restrained than 6 by Mewes and 7 by Lavelle.(Rapinoe)
    Goal 12 by by Morgan (her 5th) - I mean, really, what do you do when you score a 5th goal in a match as an individual, and 12 as a team in the World Cup. Yeah, maybe too much, but by then...(Rapinoe)
    Goal 13 by Lloyd (her 1st) - Nice and subdued.

The raw celebrations I really have issue with are goals 6 and 7 by the Mewes/Lavelle combo, goal 9 (don't really need to say much), and goal 10 with the count. But I also would like to note (as I did above) that Rapinoe was a catalyst in 7 of the goal celebrations in the second half, and she was really over the top in her celebrating. If you look at Morgan's 3rd goal, it was Rapinoe who was over celebrating, like she was for Lloyd's goal, though less so. FFS, she is co-captain, this is her 3rd WC, and she has 150+ caps. After 5 goals, she should have known better.

One final note, watching the Thai players after goal 6, they look deflated. It was no matter what they did, the ball would bounce the US players.

Mind, I am not going to stop wanting the US to win, but my joy for their victory will be tempered, and my sadness if defeated will lessened.

And take @glennaldo_sf comment with good weight. He will say what he sees is good, and he will call out what he sees as bad - for any team. He is one of the fairer posters I have encountered on BS when analyzing matches.

10. Whatjusthappened

none
    United States
    Jun 8, 2019
    US
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Rapinoes showing off/ego right before the 4th goal was rude and unsportsmanlike, and i think it set the tone for every goal afterwards. Players are gonna celebrate a goal no matter if its their first or 100th. I dont think thats rude, its part of the game...it's not often you see that many goals scored in a game but to turn this game no matter how lopsided into a PC issue instead of just keeping it as a WC game is more classless, rude, disrespectful or whatever else you want to call it. So many matches in my lifetime i've seen, i've seen some high scoring games close to this one and in some cases they stopped celebrating...in some they've celebrated just as much if not more. There is nothing wrong celebrating your goal....some are saying that not letting up in a defeat is unsportsman like but theres been games were teams have let up and in some views its even more disrespectful to not take your opponents seriously or start treating them like children to keep it a more fair game. It's a matter of perspective but watching a game then nitpicking such minor things that are part of the game trying to create rules to your liking, or worse, when talking about the team start talking about their whole country where the team is from in a generalization is about as low and classless one can get in this day and age. I value every ones opinions whether i agree with them or not...but some of yall take things to far and make a situation out of nothing, you cant blame people for bringing up anti-sentiment towards a country. Now i am new to this forum, i dont have many friends or many people in the area to watch/talk about sports with, let alone soccer or football...but the past few days quite a few people,while not all but theres been enough, have a tendency to talk bad about other countries/people from certain areas, appearances of players not looking like their nationalities (like it or not there is a lot of immigration and mixed races in the world, and many countries allow duel citizenship). None of this matters, why bring it up even if no ill intent is meant? The whole point of tournaments like the World Cup is to leave politics, racism, nationalism, pretty much everything that the world has too much of these days andd to instead bring people together and face adversity and have a good time. Not to bring in other issues because you have a bias, a preference or just come from an affluent area and can't handle not getting the way you want in the results. Its hard to share good times and speak of opinions on performances, whos gonna win, progression of teams players and general sports talk when you got people bringing in hatred and quite honestly being disrespectful. If you honestly feel US women's team was being rude, that's fine....if not that's fine too...but this childish and CLASSLESS talk about about how someone should be acting or how they should be doing something is counterproductive to the whole point of the WC in the first place. If you've literally got nothing else to do but then to complain about how someones winning too much, or they didn't win enough or putting down other teams saying they don't deserve to be there you should take a good look at yourself and figure out whats truly making you so upset to spawn negativity in an unproductive, nonconstructive way.

McSkillz repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, as I said several posts above, I don't think it is anti-American sentiment in general. A few of us who are criticizing are Yanks, and we are criticizing the celebrations, not the goals.

blissett repped this.
  12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    1. Discussion how players conduct themselves in an unusual (and embarrassing - for FIFA, Thailand, AFC, even the US) situation is in no way out-of-bounds.

2. Please consider using paragraphs. That wall of text is difficult to read.

3. Having been on both sides of a nasty result like that, anything more than a few high-fives and a hug or two, then straight back to the halfway line is instigation. If Thailand were capable of it, they could have easily decided to take matters into their own hands.

blissett, soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it weird that people can casually talk about violent retribution for celebrations as if that were justified while in the same breath saying the celebrations themselves are over the top?

McSkillz repped this.
  14. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasn't the US team complained in years past about how other teams celebrated scoring goals against the US (usually after knocking the US out of the competition)? It would be karma this world cup if another team knocked the US out of the competition and the players started crying about over-the-top goal celebrations. Kettle meet pot would be a good analogy.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No, it's not. You cannot predict the reactions of your opponent to them getting shown up.

16. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Well I can see that my opinion is an unpopular one here. I just feel it's incredibly soft of people to get twisted up about this and need to grow up. But obviously that doesn't seem to be a shared view here. I saw nothing classless about celebrating world cup goals, however enthusiastically. I'll just leave it at that.

I did see quite a bit of anti-American sentiment in this thread, no matter how much you deny it. Just because a few Americans are being critical constructively doesn't disregard the fact that it's there in other posts. Things like: I hope America gets destroyed in the upcoming world cup games. I lost respect for the US team because of these celebrations. Why because they enthusiastically celebrated a world cup goal? Well, we didn't need your kind of support anyway, good riddance.

I'll be rooting for the USA, enthusiastic celebrations and all because their was nothing wrong with them, grow up! I've said all I'll say, I'm out - enjoy the rest of the world cup!

McSkillz repped this.
  17. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Those are the best words I've read all day on the topic of this match. That's how it should be done when goals keep going in even though the result is out of reach for the losing side.

On the other side of this massacre, I really wonder what the Thai coach's stance is right now regarding the team's effort (or massive lack of). It's one thing to have a huge gap in skills and experience with the opposition team, but to just simply give up like the Thai girls did is something I would be boiling over with. No matter what my players' level is, showing a blatant lack of fighting spirit would be worthy of a Sir Alex Ferguson-type of hairdryer treatment.

jagum and Timon19 repped this.
  18. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Not too long ago, North Korea used to have that 5th spot and they showed better fighting spirit than this Thai team. How could they screw up their qualification process so badly?

19. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're supposed to shrug and go, welp, I expected that cause you guys totally suck right now?

The growth of the women's game ain't for the faint of heart. The USWNT have been told over and over again by analysts that nobody is afraid of them. Well, I think some teams coming up are a tad concerned they may not go through now. I'm sure France isn't looking forward to facing us anymore than we are of them except now, they know that every single US player can potential score a goal and it was proven tonight.

DaBurg and thedexeter repped this.
  20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No. You trot back to the halfway line and don't make a big deal out of it, like normal people dishing out pain to terrible teams.

21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet when the men showboat, they don't get nearly as criticized, and it's probably interpreted as "boys being boys". When professional female athletes get their time in the spotlight and celebrate their bombardment of another team, it's interpreted as incredibly negative and classless. I guess they should have just apologized for being too aggressive and promise never to do it again and invite them all for tea time afterwards to sooth their poor poor broken hearts.

thedexeter repped this.
  22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  23. ShambolicDefense

Sep 10, 2015
    I don't think this is fair. There are tons of male athletes that are despised by fans for being egocentric showboats.

As I said in an earlier post, the celebrations didn't necessarily offend me. They really just seemed awkward and a little cringy. Like they were forced or staged.

I didn't sense much genuine rush of emotion or energy for goals 8-13. Seemed like some of the players were just hamming it up for whatever reason.

blissett repped this.
  24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #99 SiberianThunderT, Jun 11, 2019
    Not even the 5th - they were roughly 2nd in Asia before Australia showed up and Japan got consistently good. And they didn't really screw anything up in this qualification cycle. Due to being banned in the '15 qualification cycle, they were an unseeded team during the AFC Cup qualification this time around (despite being the highest-ranked team to not get an automatic berth into the AFC championship groups) and then were drawn into the qualification same group as South Korea, the next-highest ranked team to not get an automatic berth. They didn't make it to the AFC Cup on goal differential after drawing the Korea derby match. AFC has a tendency to do draws in credibly poorly, and is screwed over North Korea in that stage of qualification - indeed, during the AFC Cup itself, one group had all three of the remaining top-ranked AFC teams (AUS, JPN, and KOR) with the other group's strongest teams being China, South Korea, and Jordan. Talk about imbalanced!

jagum and blissett repped this.
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not speak for others, but that is not the case for myself. I have been on both sides, and have rightly been taken to task by my teammates for over celebration when we scored the 7th or 8th goal, and none of them were mine.

And if you read my longer post on the matter, I'm only taking to task a few players, but primarily Rapinoe. Yes, this is the WC and there is excitement, but there is also understanding place. We are not exactly a middle of the road team, hoping to do well, we are expecting to win. But the behavior of players like Rapinoe and Mewes and Lavelle put a spotlight on how the US teams respects the game and respects their opponents.

But there is another way to put it - how many of those players are returning WC champions? To me, those players have the responsibility to think to the next game and the next and the next. You think if the US runs into China, the physicalness that China is working on won't now be greater, even beyond the rivalry? We want to try and think that politics and geography are not part of sport, but those women humiliated the Thai, the near neighbors of the Chinese, fellow Asians, and there is the possibility for geographic revenge. If not in victory, in revenge.

As for the possible bias, not from me. This is football, it is about respecting the game and respecting your opponents, men or women, youth or adult. And to be clear, I have no issues with the goals - really, what could we do other than score. It would be disrespectful to not try and score. There is a balance, when when a far weaker opponent gives up, there is little that can be done to prevent a thrashing and not show up the other team. My issue is with the over-celebrations of a few players after it was clear the Thai team was already battered.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett and McSkillz repped this.