PBP: Matchday 5: F12.USA - Thailand

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Gilmoy, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stopped at 3 :oops:

blissett and McSkillz repped this.
  2. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    Booooo............a little excessive celebration considering the scoreline

3. dmax316

dmax316 Member

Jun 25, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Destroy Thailand

4. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    joke of a game. Uh, let's not expand the WWC field anytime soon. Maybe in 16 years, give or take.

MiLLeNNiuM, Kakeru and duality72 repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, these goal celebrations seem really classless considering the Thai team have been completely humiliated.

MiLLeNNiuM, blissett, duality72 and 2 others repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap

Well, we know who is likely to get the golden boot

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  7. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    12-0, is this the new record?

Thailand doesn't belong here, really should've been North Korea.

8. SACule377

SACule377 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Man I'm American but screw USWNT. Excessively celebrating that way at 11-0. I'm more proud of supporting Thailand cause I love the country. I hope the US get humiliated!

9. #5nadeshikofan

#5nadeshikofan Member+

May 26, 2012
    Plymouth, Michigan, USA
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    ...and the point being...?

blissett repped this.
  10. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Honestly, I could go off with my frustration at this game.... but Ill just say this. How on earth is Thailand even in this tournament? There is NO WAY Asia deserves FIVE teams. That extra spot could have easily gone to another UEFA team, like Switzerland or any European team for that matter. They’d at least play some defense against the US.

What a bloody joke...and don’t even start with me about “making a statement” shit...

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Pretty embarrassing. This is a World Cup?

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah.

I'm completely unimpressed with the team. I don't respect them any more. And I won't cry if the don't win.

mpr2477 repped this.
  14. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Most impressive for me was the 70 yard full-tilt runs Press, Morgan, and Rapinoe made in the 79th minute to get a goal. Do you think they might be in good physical condition?

And they were still going hard in the 90th minute. Scary -- to other teams, I think.

MiLLeNNiuM and McSkillz repped this.
  15. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    11-0? That was Pugh's freaking first goal at a World Cup. Maybe Rapinoe's and one of Morgan's was overly celebrated, but don't try and say Pugh's was overcelebrated.

How would you describe Lloyd checking in with the Thai keeper and Morgan consoling her fellow UC Berkeley alum Nild then?

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well, I'll say these two things:
    This is Thailand's second WWC - last time around, they beat Ivory Coast, and they recently drew Australia in the qualifying for this WWC. They're certainly not a great team, but they can at times produce good results - today was literally a record-setting anomaly.
    Second, Asia has five of the top 16 teams in the world, and that's why they have five spots. In theory, North Korea should be here instead of Thailand, but after being banned in 2015, they were forced into a play-in group with South Korea, so it's more of a bureaucratic problem that they're not here. (And Thailand did "well enough" in 2015 to "justify" not dropping Asia from 5 slots to 4 or 4.5)

MiLLeNNiuM, lil_one, blissett and 4 others repped this.
  17. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    You can only play what's in front of you. Why's it classless to celebrate a world cup goal? You don't get to score a world cup goal every day. You guys are incredibly soft and have never played a sport in your life, if you think there was a problem in what happened on the pitch today.

I agree with the sentiment that Thailand really shouldn't be here but why's that the USA's fault? There seems to be just a negative opinion about the Americans on the whole in this forum. When Germany destroyed Ivory Coast in 2015, 10-0, I don't recall people saying that was classless.

Players have the right to celebrate how they want, they've all worked really hard just to be playing in this world cup and it's the first game, I don't see an issue here.

McSkillz, BlueCrimson and umop_apisdn repped this.
  18. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    They did get carried away a bit, but if you didn't know, Lloyd went right to the Thai keeper after the game. Morgan also unsurprisingly went to Nild (same college) to talk to her right after the match.

McSkillz and BlueCrimson repped this.
  19. ShambolicDefense

Sep 10, 2015
    #44 ShambolicDefense, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    I mean, I get it. The women's sport is still in its infancy in 90% of the world, so you're going to get some horrific mismatches like this.

And, yeah, I can even sort of buy an argument that you should never let your foot off the gas. Everybody's going to run up the score against Thailand and goal difference, blah, blah, blah.

But seriously... do we really need to celebrate like we just scored a stoppage-time winner at numbers 11, 12 and 13? Multiple cringes.

duality72, mpr2477, CoachJon and 2 others repped this.
  20. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    If players don't celebrate at all when scoring goals against legitimate teams they used to play for then I don't think it's much to ask to not go bonkers when up 10-0 against a hapless Thailand side.

21. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As someone who plays soccer at a relatively high level yes those celebrations were excessive. I don't care if it was your first goal ever; when you're that level above the competition you're playing and you're already that far in front of them scorewise you just don't really celebrate.

I remember playing against my former team that ended with a bit of bad blood and we were killing them, but I knew our team was much better than theirs...I didn't celebrate a single goal we scored.

22. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's an old adage: act you've been there before.

Frysk Bloed, MiLLeNNiuM and duality72 repped this.
  23. ShambolicDefense

Sep 10, 2015
    ...and I remind myself once again why one should not visit twitter during a World Cup. It's great to have new people watching the sport and all, but somehow I continue to be surprised with how much ignorance can be contained in so few characters.

blissett, McSkillz and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  24. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Too little, way too fvcking late

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Whether it is classless is obviously subjective but it felt really wrong to me. Lloyd’s reaction to her goal was what I would expect in the circumstances. It was pretty obvious that the Thai players were going to be in tears at the end of the game so some of the stuff felt classless to me.

Someone on Twitter said the American studio called it out as wrong? So it is hardly an anti-American thing to point it out.

blissett repped this.