Matchday 4, The Arsenal vs. Basketball Chickens, 1 September 2019

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ArsenalJake, Aug 29, 2019.

1. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Enough about last week, the North London Derby is upon us!!!

Three weeks into the season and The Arsenal sit comfortably above Spuds. Both teams have their issues, both on field and off. Who's playing? Who's staying? Who's leaving? WHO CARES!?!?

Let's all tune in on Sunday (4:30pm local, 11:30am ET, 8:30am PT) on NBCSN and watch our boys in Red and White give it their all vs. our North London rivals. Blood, Sweat, ACL Tears and all that!!

COME ON YOU GUNNERS!!!!

(BIGHMW, the floor is now yours . . .)

2. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Less is more, Ray. Less is more.

Quentin and maskito repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2-1 arsenal hopefully

Must not play xhaka

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Depends. If we plan to sit back and counter you have to play Xhaka because of his ability to release the ball quickly.

5. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to the Kings Head for this match

KILL

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think we'd do that? At home? OK, Emery isn't exactly the most expansive coach but surely even he will follow all historical cues and play on the front foot, no?

Last week was a rarity for me in that I couldn't watch live, but I'm determined to get back on track for the NLD.

Overall, I think it's anyone's match, so I have this feeling that in order to win it may not be due to superior line-up or tactics, but rather from moment(s) of personal brilliance. The obvious candidates being Auba, Pepe, Ceballos, Laca? But remember the little dude who stepped up last year! :D

[​IMG]

ArsenalJake repped this.
  7. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the first couple of spuds games and I will say... this is a winnable game. They have looked like ass without Eriksen pulling the strings and even if Poch decides to start him (assuming he isn't sold prior), I don't know that Eriksen's head is in the game. Assuming everyone below is healthy (and still on the team), I think I would come with...

------------------ Laca ------------------
    - PAE -------------------------- Pepe -
    -------- Xhaka ------- Dani ----------
    ----------------- Torreira --------------
    Nacho --- Sokra --- Luiz --- AMN
    ------------------- Leno ---------------

Could also the the argument for giving Ozil, Willock or Duezy a shot in place of Xhaka. As bad as Xhaka is at times, I think if you give him less defensive responsibilities by placing a #6 behind him and I think he could be useful against spuds.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A. I'm tired of having the home leg of this series played first. What is this, like 6 years in a row now? I want to have the home advantage later in the season some times.

B. Arsenal have to be aggressive and they have to be resolute in possession and attack. They can't continue to give up more shots per match and assume they'll stay top 4, especially at home.

S***s are not near the level of Liverpool or Citeh, but as we've already seen that doesn't mean they can't compete with stronger teams, either. So no passive assumptions; Play to win, play to your strengths, and play like it matters. Arsenal can win this but they need to take it and not assume it will simply happen.

Please play Torreira if able, and perhaps ask Luiz if he can avoid a dumba** moment for at least 1 game.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 NorthBank, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    The word on Luiz, from Chelsea fans & pundits, is that Luiz has maybe 2 games like this all season. If that's true, then maybe it's just as well he got one of them out of his system against Liverpool, a team we're very unlikely to beat anyway.

But I'd be lying if I said I thought he'll only do that in 2 games. That's one reason why I wrote not long ago that, as crazy as this sounds, we're waiting for Rob Holding to be our savior in defense.

Edit: Or maybe Tierney can be our savior, if he can stay healthy and if he's a versatile between FB, WB & CB as I've heard!

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Xhaka is not even that good of a passer

Especially under pressure

Ceballos is that guy and he can dribble

..........laca
    Auba.........Pepe
    ....ceb...douzi
    .........torreira
    Kol...luiz...sok...amn
    .............Leno

NorthBank repped this.
  11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Showed this to my coworker, a Chelsea fan, and he said it's more like 2 per month. Says we overpaid for him. So there's one man's opinion.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make that 2 men's opinion. I have serious doubts about him. And 2 stinkers per season seems optimistic.

That's said I have little doubt that he'll start Sunday.

13. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thoroughly enjoy the moniker 'Basketball Chickens'

Pauncho, maskito, GunnerJacket and 2 others repped this.
  14. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have concerns about Ceballos.

15. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mebe is coming for you

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s a great long range passer

But under pressure he has no ability to recover and is rash

I would rather try luiz as a deeper lying player

17. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We'll probably end up playing a 3 with Luiz in the middle.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can see a 433

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emery said this yesterday: "I think maybe that on Sunday, that match is the best match in the world for all football supporters."

I can only assume that means we're all in, and with a very positive way of playing. Make it true Unai!

20. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Idk if Xhaka is a good passer when pressed, but he's a superb passer when not under pressure. He's an elite ball progressor - really good at getting the ball into the final third. Ian is focusing on great passes played that he sees. It's more important to play the right, unspectactular pass. And Xhaka is great at playing that short pass to someone further forward.

daedalus and thebigman repped this.
  21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not really impressive doing anything when you’re not pressured. Thats what separates great players from average ones.

If Xhaka simply spent some time in front of a wall, receiving balls with both feet and turning in both directions, he’d be twice the player.

I would start him for the derby because I don’t trust Duzy-Ceballos-Torreira just yet and 1-2 great passes from Xhaka into our forwards might be enough to get some points from the game. But Torreira MUST be next to him or we’ll lose.

thebigman repped this.
  22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It doesn’t make a player stand out playing simple balls u see pressure to me

I would have no issue with xhaka if he was more mobile and had better defensive instinct

As it stands, he’s a charity shop Alonso but much worse at everything

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I didn't say Xhaka was playing the easy pass. He's playing the right pass, even when it's difficult. He's really, really good at getting the ball into the final third, and this is an important skill.

I'm kind of annoyed that we don't see Xhaka be able to release Aubameyang more often, but I think that's more an Emery thing.

daedalus repped this.
  24. arsenalwkly

arsenalwkly New Member

Arsenal
    France
    Aug 30, 2019
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I go back and forth in Xhaka. He certainly brings something to the table. Is it worth the downsides that come with his inclusion in the team? Namely his inability to properly recognize danger defensively?

The more time goes on (and the better Guendouzi plays), I’m less and less in Xhaka’s corner.

25. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its definitely an Emery thing. He likes having Auba go wide due to his pace, but he’s bad at take ons and isn’t a creative passer. If he stayed more central, we’d see it more often.