Matchday 4: September 1, 2018, Chelsea FC vs. AFC Bournemouth

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Kazuma, Aug 31, 2018.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Shades of Bridge at highbury there.

Blueallthru, Wrath and yasik19 repped this.
  2. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Maybe Rodwell bought a ticket?

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ahhh, moments :)

Blueallthru repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another 3 points. Still don't look like they fully have it down but it's looking better. We definitely need to improve the decision making in our defensive 3rd. Way to careless there with the ball.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yea, results have been terrific, but during most of the match, I was having the same deja vu concerns as I did last season...where are the goals going to come from.

Wrath repped this.
  6. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Said Sky sports 5 HD. Found it online

7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed we really need to upgrade RW to more of a goal scorer to compliment Hazard. Pedro isn't better than Willian but he's a much better fit as he looks to shoot and score. Hopefully Morata can find his scoring boots again. His overal form has been much better but ultimately as a striker he has to score.

8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Even stranger given that channel doesn't exist anymore, at least in the UK. Very odd.

Anyway, thought Bournemouth gave it a good go today. Despite the possession it never felt as if they were negative like Newcastle were and they worked hard defensively.

I would like to see Sarri drill the squad on one-time shots around the box. Against a team that presses hard, the touch to bring the ball under control almost guarantees the shot will be blocked by the defender who has used that moment to close in.

Still more to come from this team but it's clicking better than I though it would so early. Not a big fan of the goalie playing it short when the opposition are in the vicinity. I know it puts the ball at our feet but we haven't shown enough composure in working out of our third yet and we have given up unnecessary chances as a result.

Hazard is so, so good.

Dr_Intoxicated and Wrath repped this.
  9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Still the greatest goal I've seen from a Chelsea side. Beating the Arse at Highbury with our hoodoo was as good as it gets.

11. sydneymuganzi

sydneymuganzi Member

Jul 19, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Given how little time the manager has had to work with the players considering he was hired late and several players had extended leave because of the WC, it's amazing how well they've gelled in such a short time. While we are not generating as many shots on target, we are completely dominating possession. We play like a team that wants to win. Against teams that are not as defensive, we'll see more opportunities fall our way [against us too].

12. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Morata or Giroud. Both players that are okay imho. But a player that combined both their qualities would be better. Still maybe we can play Fabregas as a false 9 and our possession stats could easily go over 90% :)

13. Dr_Intoxicated

Dr_Intoxicated Member+

Sep 10, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Chelsea improved immediately Giroud came on, we won a header and he was able to successfully lay off the ball to his fellow players and contributed to Pedro's goal. He looks like he wants to play. Morata still looks half hearted. Early on he was put through in a straight run against a defender and tamely gave up possession. I can forgive a lack of talent but not a lack of commitment.

I enjoyed the late RLC cameo. I think the main issue is that although we have a lot of possession the passing is too slow. I was really excited in the game against Arsenal as the passing was really crisp in the first half.

If we can speed up the passing I think that the chances will come.

lobomojo repped this.
  14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I think as some writers have pointed out, we haven’t really gelled. Sarri’s system is far from being in place right now - we have too much sterile possession. But it’s very promising we’re picking up points anyway.

Ninjatend0 repped this.
  15. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    12 points with lots of room for improvement still. this team could look pretty good when everything is finally put together. hazard could really thrive in this system.

Blueallthru repped this.
  16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Imagine if we had a striker.