PBP: Matchday 4: D08.Argentina-Japan

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by blissett, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Argentina are playing decently in defense, but they have zero attacking ability

blissett, kennytt and ShortyMac repped this.
  2. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    How was that not impeding on the edge of the box?

3. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan are not going anywhere in this WWC if they cannot win this match.

blissett, McSkillz and Kakeru repped this.
  4. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Banini is MVP...lol

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    88' 0-0 Hasegawa turns and chases a deflected ball rolling to 6m box left. Kumagai arrives on an overlap -- and they congest each other, both pull out and neither take ball, it continues over endline left. It's been that kind of day :speechless:

89' 0-0 Japan pass toward arc top center, deflected toward arc right. Iwabuchi backpedals waiting for ball to arrive, turns cw with it and gets shoulder-challenged down into box -- no call. Argentina clear, Sugita shoots from ~22m, high. +4'.

90' 0-0 Japan subs in (3 of 3) #13 Saori Takarada for #9 Yuika Sugasawa.

90+1' (of +4') 0-0 Japan steal at 27m box left, counter to box top left, chip over mouth to 2m 6-right. Hasegawa measures the bounce, hop half-volley low across mouth, Correa dives and blocks ball rightward, Barroso(?) blasts it clear. That was the half-chance :eek:

6. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Get everyone forward, FFS!

7. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 0-0.

ARG with their first point in a WWC.

blissett, McSkillz, soccernutter and 4 others repped this.
  8. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A disappointing day for JP...Let's not count JP out yet...A winner in 2011 and a runner up in 2015...

9. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    That was quite ordinary by Japan.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

blissett, ShortyMac and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The Nadeshiko really disgraced themselves today. If they couldn't get the job done against Argentina, it will definitely get worse against Scotland and then England.

I won't shed tears for Takakura if she gets to eat cake in the cold of Hokkaido after a sack.

12. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Average? They looked like shambles, and that is what happens when we don't have enough good veterans in the side.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  13. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    Coach Takakura pretty much said that we had the ball a lot, but did not do much with it.

blissett repped this.
  14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Goodness me. The World Cup always come up with some surprises. Blissett is watching this live. He must be pulling his hair out! :speechless:

kennytt, blissett, McSkillz and 6 others repped this.
  15. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but I'm disappointed and counting them out.
    However, tomorrow I may change my mind.
    I'm happy for Banini, though.

kennytt and blissett repped this.
  16. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know; WC upsets are always fun until they're against a team you root for. Personally, I'm happy for Argentina, but my condolences to @blissett

kennytt, MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  17. footyfan933

footyfan933 Member

Jun 6, 2019
    Both Japan and Germany are revamping their sides. Not really surprised by a performance like that.

kennytt and blissett repped this.
  18. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    They do not need veterans. They have pretty good players, but in my opinion they are not playing the right way. This relates to formation and how they use the ball.

Scotland and England will not be so defensive, which means Japan will have the ball in a lot more space. That is of course if they can handle the pressure that will come from those two teams.

kennytt repped this.
  19. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+3' (of +4') 0-0 Hasegawa right ck, to 6-top 1/5 left, headed out to 10m 6-left. Header back to 6-top 4-left, Correa catches high.

FT 0-0. The legend of Argentina's wall begins :notworthy: They played the classic anti-tika-taka style: don't try to match the ball control or possession, just shut down all space and actively destroy every imperfect entry. Japan never got into 4th gear.

Argentina 39% possession, 5(1)-(3)8 shots(sog), 0-5 corners, 2-0 offsides, 28-14 tackes, 35-10 clearances, 6-6 fouls, 166/253 (66%) - 583/681 (86%) passes. Japan's sky-high pass completion might actually be a weakness: too safe.

This group is very interesting now :coffee:

kennytt, blissett, McSkillz and 3 others repped this.
  20. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I just listen to the panel on TSN, and even they pointed out that the lack of veteran presence has definitely not helped Japan at all. Seriously (and going slightly off-topic), why do you think the US keep on bringing on Rapinoe and Lloyd even if they may not be as sharp as they used to be?

Scotland and England are about as energetic and more talented than Argentina. That is why I'm pissed off at the result. Without battle-hardened veterans in the side against them, our little girls will get eaten alive.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they were 128th in 2016 because of being inactive. Imagine where they could be if they received more support from the federation.

kennytt, blissett, McSkillz and 3 others repped this.
  22. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    There is a good way and a bad way to revamp squads. The good way is to gradually phase out the veterans while keeping around those who can calm everyone down when it gets tough; those are the good veterans. The bad way is to kick all veteran players out and thus letting the kids panic at the slightest bit of adversity. Takakura has simply screwed up by choosing the second option.

Why do you think teams like Brazil, Canada, and the US keep on bringing Marta, Christine Sinclair, Megan Rapinoe, and Carli Lloyd even though they may not be as flamboyant as they used to be?

23. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    I am sure that Japan will move onto the knockout round somehow...

I am sure Argentina team will get some good publicity back in Argentina...Before the Argentina men's team starts playing in Copa America...

kennytt, blissett and KAPIJXM repped this.
  24. pierre bezukhov

pierre bezukhov Member+

AC Milan
    Japan
    Mar 7, 2018
    Japan
    What veterans are you talking about? Utsugi? That is about it. Sakaguchi has been injured for a whole year and has not played for her club team this season, yet she is here. That is truly doing my head in.

The thing is that Sugita and Miura were fine today. Very little pressure for them, but in the context of how Japan play they were both fine. Miura was actually quite good.

There are some players in Japan (not in the squad) who are in their mid twenties who could be on the pitch here, but they are not that experienced internationally and Takakura does not really like them.

KAPIJXM repped this.
  25. Kakeru

Kakeru Member+

Manchester United
    Japan
    Feb 22, 2016
    Montréal, QC, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Utsugi should be in the side. That is not something to negotiate.

However, I think a lot more should have been done to convince Aya Miyama in unretiring for the time we have this World Cup and the 2020 Olympics. At her age, I think she can still provide something in that dressing room and on the pitch.

You talk about Sugita and Miura. I thought they were awful when all we wanted from them was to make a through pass in the middle even if the Argentines were parking the bus. I'm sorry, but the World Cup is not a place to start 2 players who didn't even have 10 caps until today.