Matchday 34: TOR v ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 27, 2018.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 GunnerJacket, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Toronto FC vs. Atlanta United
    BMO Field — Toronto
    October 28 — 4:30 pm ET
    Fox SportSoutheast

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com Atlanta United page here.

We all know the scenarios: Atlanta can win the Supporters' Shield with a win or a RB loss, but seeing as RB are arguably the league's hottest/strongest team right now and they're hosting lowly Orlando, who you know won't fight for our benefit, Atlanta needs to win. They need to win to show they can do it, to keep confidence high, and to keep other teams doubting. Anything less and all the hard work for this season will be put to the test mentally with every playoff game.

I'm sure when the league and broadcast partners placed this match up at the end of the season they envisioned a 1v2 contest that would shape the top of the eastern standings heading into the postseason. The game will have that affect but not quite in the way intended. But let's not assume that means Toronto has nothing left for which to play, or that they'll be easy pickings. Their table position is due in very large part to injuries and early season struggles when TFC chased the CONCACAF Champions League, and they have shown glimpses of the team that set the MLS points record last season.

Oh yeah, and Atlanta has never beaten Toronto. Three games played, three 2-2 draws.

And as if this isn't enough we all know Atlanta will be without their best player in Miguel Almiron. Villalba is considered available, which is a plus, but his form is considered uncertain. But champions find ways to win through tough circumstances, no?

Toronto comes in without Jozy Altidore. US fans among us might offer the snide remark about that improving the Reds' chances, but Jozy is the kind of larger post-up striker that has caused some problems for the Stripes in the past, giving Giovinco and Osorio someone around which they can bounce passes and force gaps in opposing defenses. In his absence Toronto has tried (as best I can tell) to work with paired strikers, but this sometimes forces Bradley to come forward too deep too often and the Reds have a had a LOT of difficulties maintaining the possession and passing that was their trademark last season. That's made all the difference. The Reds have scored about 20 goals less than last season and conceded almost 30 more. Their ability to dominate games has not been there. Not for full matches, and certainly not for most of the season. Among other minor changes they miss Steven Beitashour (now at LAFC) as part of that midfield and keeper Alex Bono has been decidedly shaky, and with a few players enduring long spells on the sidelines they never found a formula that could stick. In this sense they're very much like the Chicago side Atlanta faced last week: Most of the same elements from last year's dangerous team but with enough pieces missing to throw everything off.

Which puts the onus on Atlanta. If the Stripes play to their potential they should have the better of the game, just as they did last week vs Chicago. Especially if Villalba plays at near 100% Atlanta has much more potent attacking potential and should be good enough to keep Toronto's defense on their heels. Most importantly, if Nagbe and the midfield can play smart defensively they should comfortably keep Toronto's attack reduced to a lonely and stifled Giovinco much like Montreal achieved in their win vs the Reds last week. So we need LGP and Parky to minimize giveaways and errors, and to ensure Atlanta can properly build from deep. Would also help if Martinez could not get frustrated too early or play too cute with close in chances. He missed a couple solid opportunities last week due to what looked like a lack of focus and an agitated mental state. If Atlanta can get him on the board early that would go a long way to taking the 3 points.

Toronto has already said they won't lay down or simply play the scrubs. They want to do their part to minimize the chances of a team surpassing their MLS points record, and a win against Atlanta to close the season would serve them well heading into the off season by showing the team, and their fans, they can recover that top rate form.

Atlanta, for their part, now knows the future lies without Martino so it's time to see if the team will be rocked as a result or if they'll rally around this and make the playoff run a grand send off. To his credit Martino has said all the right things, all things considered. If he's as good as we hope and if his rapport with the players is true, hopefully they're all respectful of the move and they see the opportunity that still sits in front of them.

I'm an optimist and that often impairs my prognostic abilities, but I'm thinking Atlanta as a team has probably sat down, grasped the reality before them and said to themselves "We can do this." Like last week this won't be a stellar showing, but Atlanta hasn't reached this point by fluke, either. If they're sharp they win this.

TOR 1-2 ATL. Martinez and Barco find the net and for once Atlanta keeps Toronto at bay.

VFish and CA23 repped this.
  2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hup Atlanta United, Hup! And Hup OCFC!

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quick question... what happens if Atlanta loses and NYRB draws and you are both tied on points?

4. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the most Atlanta thing ever.

VFish repped this.
  5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sell Martinez already. He has been absolutely worthless since he broke the record. It’s been months since I’ve seen him doing one single thing worth a damn in a game.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said back when we played the Red Bulls that was a must-win game. Winning on the road in MLS is very hard. It's especially tough when you're playing the defending champions in the freezing cold. If we'd done our job a couple of weeks ago, our starters would be sitting in Atlanta watching the game with a beer in hand while the youngsters had a run out today. Instead, we're working very hard at losing the Supporters' Shield and home field advantage in the playoffs.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes me sick to watch.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m tempted to say just go ahead and sub out Martinez... obviously he doesn’t care to play.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Martinez now has only two goals in two months... both coming against lowly San Jose. Obviously he’s checked out from this club and needs to be on the chopping block as soon as possible.

10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Toronto, if you let us win this game, I’ll gladly let y’all have a road win against us next year!

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now Red Bull is ahead.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m done... game, set, match. No heart Atlanta deserves second place for this shit performance.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Granted, we sleep through the first half, but we are much better this second. Idiot linesman took a clear goal away. And now we hit one off the post. Come on AU!

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We have a ladder to climb, but we took a step on the first rung.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nevermind… damn this is hard to watch.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Ouch, a spanking. We are not the same team without Almiron. We got to figure out something before next season.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I wish these announcers would shut up about how not winning the supporters shield should not diminish from Atlanta's season. Hell we sucked down the stretch and got beat by the Red Bulls... and now a depleted Tornoto in a game that actually mattered. The MLS Cup is pretty, but the supporters shield is the trophy.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is synonymous for “huge let down”.... that or “no heart”. How the hell in every single we need to win this game to advance we ALWAYS fail. Never in Georgia/Atlanta sports can we clinch. Falcons can’t win, Bulldogs can’t win, now Atlanta United are nothing but a let down.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Bulldogs won big yesterday. I know, I was there. Are you from Georgia? Cause normally Bulldog fans and Atlanta United fans don't cross paths or have the same shared misery.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m born and raised from Georgia and went to UGA for both bachelors and masters... and my favorite teams in sports are Atlanta United, USMNT, and Bulldogs... will watch Braves and Falcons occasionally...which in the past few years that’s enough to make anyone depressed. It’s been nothing but disappointment. Now live in Greenville, South Carolina and pray the Triumph will be worth a damn.

VFish repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm miffed. Not for the loss but the form in which it took. A classic "Atlanta looks like they have no Plan B" moment. Will process the moment and offer comments later.

VFish and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What scares me is we might be one of the coldest teams entering the playoffs... no way this team, the way it’s played the past couple months, will even make it to the Eastern championship. DC United or Columbus have to be licking their chops at this wounded animal that Atlanta United has become.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You sound like me. UGA grad that loves the Dawgs, don't really care for baseball and have always watched the Falcons, but the NFL has become so corporate I no longer care if they win or lose. I used to beg friends to come watch the Silverbacks with me, none would take me up on my offers, but now that United is in town they are all fans.

I am hoping United don't pull an Atlanta Braves and flame out in the first round of the playoffs. I'd feel a lot better about our chances if I knew Almiron was going to play and be 100% fit. Without Miggy we are doomed.

24. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So I've had time to recover and assess the match.

- Full credit to TFC. They had their own injury issues to deal with and had less incentive to turn out for the day, but turn out they did and they were the better team. I'm sure their fans were left wondering "Where was that when we played... everyone else?!" They earned the points on the pitch.

- I'm still confused as to the basis of the flag on Gressel's goal. Best I can tell the asst. ref felt Josef was offside but waited to see how the play evolved in case he didn't need to stop the flow. But Josef made two touches before the flag went up and it's the ref's call whether or not to stop play on an offside, so the flag should've gone up right away if that was the call. If that wasn't the call then I got nothing and the goal should've stood.

Would that have changed the outcome? Maybe, but I'm not blaming the ref at all for Sunday.

- By my count Atlanta had at least 14 unforced errors, mostly on defense, including two that lead to the Reds' first 2 goals. That's really bad for a big game for a team vying for "most points ever!" They really need to adapt better game plans for when Almiron isn't available and improving possession and advancement would go a looong way in this regard. The sloppy give-aways and kickball was not worthy of top flight ball, and certainly not fun to watch. Combo of Remedi, Larentowicz, Escobar, Nagbe and Barco wasn't cutting it. Somewhere within that grouping was a failure to hold the ball, slow the play during panicky moments, and building sustainable attacks. Nagbe has great control but was lost in defensive and offensive duties. Jeff had an off game, I feel, as he and Barco were routinely hounded when they had the ball.

- Barco? He's like Alexis Sanchez to me right now in that his inability to play with a team means he's really skilled but often a detriment in the pitch. He didn't make space for others, his play didn't yield quality shot attempts, and he isn't much of a defender. For the price I'm calling this year a bust, because at the least the team would've faired better at times with a proper left side attacker. You know, like the one they let go to get Barco.

- Gressel is good enough to warrant starting. More importantly he needs to be on the right, so no more experiments with him on the left, please, unless it's a throw away game.

Mabee repped this.