PBP: Matchday 34: ATL vs NER

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 5, 2019.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I was thinking more of Clint Mathis. Never seen so much potential undone, but he was fun.

2. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint was Heritage High.

3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And, like Josh Wolff and Brad Guzan, a South Carolina Gamecock. Once again I am in the wrong thread, I am glad you can make the thread switches and keep the conversation going. With all the soccer talent in Georgia it is a pity UGA can't field a team. I hope Jan Kemp is sitting on a Caribbean beach somewhere counting her millions.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it Kemp's fault? (She passed away several years, btw, if I'm not mistaken) Honest question, no snark. I thought it was just a title IX issue generally as to why there's no men's team. But yeah, I've always thought UGA could field a pretty decent team with in-state talent alone.

Mabee and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Kemp was a former prof who called out the school for test shenanigans that kept some guys on the football team eligible during the 1980 season. She got demoted and then fired, IIRC, which is where the suit came from. I don't recall her being involved in anything Title IX.

Probably not a Title IX issue, not as applied to a conference as wealthy as the SEC, anyway. They have enough money to provide equal scholarships (9.9) and facilities to an additional women's sport (IIRC, they already have women's soccer, so they'd have to add something). I don't expect to see any real interest in soccer from the individual SEC athletic programs until the conference as a whole decides to sanction the sport. But the decisionmakers in that regard may be more interested in maintaining the SEC's image.

First site that came up when I googled "SEC men's soccer". Some of the text may be NSFW.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/why-doesnt-the-sec-sponsor-mens-soccer/79463085/

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Personally I'm hoping we see progress with the development academy approach such that college athletics can get back to being collegial. But that's just me.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Soccer really isn't moving the needle in terms of college athletics being tainted with professionalism. It could disappear totally and the two big sports --cfb and cbb-- would still be the institutions and industries that they are. If you look at cfb or cbb to judge the level of impurity in college athletics, you're going to find a lot of it. But most of the other sports still have some measure of amateurism left.

Colleges have been preparing students for careers in everything else they offer- dance majors, instrument performance majors, art and music ed majors, photography majors... there is an NFL, and there is college and hs ball, and they pay people. At that point, for those who are capable, it stops being just a pasttime to engage in to blow off steam from classwork. If a college has a team, they have a responsibility IMO to do what they can to prepare those potential pro players for work in that field. Especially those few programs that turn a profit. I'm using the NFL as an example because I don't think college ball is going to provide any real help going forward in supplying MLS with worthy talent. But the schollys will help get some kids an education who might not otherwise be able to afford it.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    #58 VFish, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    When I was at UGA and playing for the club team we had a meeting with Vince Dooley to discuss the possibility of fielding a men's team. We had pie charts and stats and discussed how Atlanta was a hotbed of competitive soccer and the team would be a powerhouse from the get go, and he simply said that the university could not field another men's team. I think they were dropping wrestling at the time. I can't remember if this was before or after the Jane Kemp explosion, but Title IX means there will always be more women's teams than men's on the UGA campus as long as Georgia fields a football team.

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Sorry to hear Professor Kemp is no longer with us.

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And as a side note, I tutored Eddie "Meat cleaver" Weaver and let him look over my shoulder when we took tests. He was big, fat, and funny.

11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So I am channel surfing looking for the Red Bulls and Philadelphia Union match thinking it might be on ESPN. ESPN is airing women's volleyball, ESPN2 women's soccer, ESPNU women's soccer. The SEC channels are broadcasting either women's soccer or volleyball, and the ACCN channel has more women's soccer. Jan Kemp must be looking down on us and be laughing. :D

If anyone doesn't want to watch women's soccer and is interested in the MLS playoffs the Red Bulls and Union are playing on Fox Sports.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember I grew up here. I'm well aware of who Jan Kemp was.
    ;)

Interesting. But as Fish says above, while I wasn't privy to the meeting with Vince the Prince that he attended, I too played club ball at UGA (I'm a bit younger than him I'm guessing) and that meeting was definitely a part of UGA club ball lore. Whether it was prevarication or not, we were told at one point that it was, indeed, a Title IX issue.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yoss, were you guys still holding the Dean Morgan Memorial Tournament during your time? Those were fun times.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    For those not interested in women's volleyball this Red Bulls v Union match is highly entertaining.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I believe UGA fields 9 men's and 12 women's teams. I don't understand why we can't field a soccer team but proudly have a top shelf golf team. I imagine more UGA students identify with and have played soccer than those that have played or follow golf and I am willing to bet the budget for a soccer team would be less than a golf team. Just sayin'

16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Miles and Parky out....

—————Josef———————
    —-Barco—Nagbe—Villalba——
    Meram———Red———Gressel
    ——Pogba—LGP—Franco——-
    ——————Guzan—————-

bench: Kann, Campbell, Remedi, Adams, Emo, Pity, Vasquez

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    This Philly-NY match is a firecracker and makes me forget all about my fantasies of women's volleyball.

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Good news from Philly, it looks like this game is going on for another 30 minutes.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Philly look impressive. Their keeper gave up a couple of howlers, is it too much to ask he does that again Thursday night.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    5-3 Philly.

I think they're beatable in the Benz.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Just to keep the bookkeeping straight and the accountants happy it was 4-3. They called the last one back.

That was a great game and the Union are an attacking team that could really give our depleted back line trouble.

Tonight the Minnesota Galaxy game is on ESPN, if it is not preempted by women's volleyball.

22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    their offense looks dangerous but their defense looks fragile.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name doesn't ring a bell. I remember hosting a tournament once that involved Tech, Auburn, and I can't remember the third team.

24. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of those goalkeeping errors in the Philly/Energy Drinks game were exacerbated by the rain. It is highly unlikely to be rainy inside MBS later in the week. (See, however, 1976 Astrodome). My kids are excited about getting Philly again, what with the excitement of the rapid-fire red cards on a previous occasion.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  25. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I'd be comfortable leaving LGP as the last man in the center of defense. If Miles can't go, I think we'll probably see 4 in the back.