PBP: Matchday 33: MON vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Sep 28, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Montreal Impact vs. Atlanta United
    Stade Saputo – Montreal
    September 29 – 5:00 PM ET
    Fox Sports Southeast

AJC.com United page here.
    MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    ATLUTD.com preview here.
    Impact preview here.

Allez le Stripes!

Atlanta travels of Paris-East for a date with the newly crowned Canadian Champions Montreal Impact. The Impact have a losing record but are still alive for postseason play, albeit by the slimmest of margins. Whether or not that fact or the high of their recent trophy can rally their troops we shall see. The Impact should be at full strength roster-wise, though Piatti is still recovering from a stint on IL. He, Taider, Krkic and company will hope they can restore some poise to their midfield knowing they need a "W." Their issue has been largely the offense, which is scraping just more than 1 goal per game, even at home. Taider is their best goals scorer clocking in just 9 so far. Sometimes their midfield and strikers just struggle to find the right pockets of space to build an attack, limiting their potency and ability to push opponents deeper into their own third. Against aggressive teams they tend to struggle.

For Atlanta the early scuttlebutt is still no Josef but Gressel and Barco should be available. Roberson predicts the "traditional" back 3 of LGP - Miles - Franco, with Tito and Vasquez as paired strikers in for Hyndman and Josef. As I hinted last match I would not object, and hopefully against a meeker Montreal side the approach should prove more fruitful.

If Atlanta plays up to potential, perhaps with the same gusto and verticality we saw in the first half of the USOC final, they should comfortably pick up the 3 pts. I think they do.

0-2 to the good guys, and the chase for playoff seeding heads into a tight final weekend.

2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That dude does not need a W. He needs a vowel.

Kidding aside, I'd happily take a draw earned by some players who rarely get time on the pitch. Let the kids show off a bit, let Villalba and Barco get a lot of minutes and get back into form. Then, in front of the home fans next week we run out the starters for the final tuneup before the playoffs.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    It will be interesting to see how this team responds to that Wednesday night debacle. Interestingly Parkhurst is in the starting 11, not sure he why he didn't start on that post card sized pitch in NYC, but glad Pogba isn't playing tonight.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Let's go, Stripes! Head says 1-1, tho.

Hoping Parkhurst starts in the last game so he can be subbed off in front of the home fans. But the issue of securing second won't be solved if we win today, so that might not happen.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Vasquez gets the nod up top over Tito, who surely must be thinking now about moving on after this season, sadly.

Meanwhile, after all the early calls for FdB's head I'm sitting here laughing at how Dan Quinn still has a job with the Falcons. Anyway...

Vamos Atlanta!

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s odd that FdB could never get the best out of Villalba (or Pity)... it’ll be sad to see him push for a transfer but I can’t blame him.

What’s also odd to me is no Andrew Carleton either with AU2 or the senior team. He’s been on a hot streak, and I was hoping to see him get minutes. Add in Bello to that discussion.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could always sub him on for the same purpose.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Perhaps Frank didn't want to risk Andrew forgetting his passport again for the trip north of the border.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    16' and the game is comfortable if not exciting. The larger field makes for a more controlled game flow, which means Atlanta should take over as the game moves on.

Cheers for the former Gunner on the pitch for Montreal, Bacary Sagna.

Also, I missed this note: This match represents the current national Cup holders for US and Canada.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A lot of good reads gone unsatisfied by final passes lacking gas.

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Brandon needs to work on that first touch. He's getting into good position and then spoiling the moment by knocking it into trouble.

12. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don’t know if Vasquez is ready for this level...

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pity was good in the first half. Too bad everyone else sucked in offense.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Good performance tonight, we were very unlucky not to get all 3 points. Hopefully we can back it up with another good showing in the season finale.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Missed the 2nd half while on the road. Listening to the radio broadcast the crew was not shy pinning the Impact goal on LGP. Can't lie that left me pissed. How many has he cost the team due to individual errors? 7? This team cannot achieve the level we want if that persists.

F***.

Hindsight implies Tito should've started over Vasquez. All that space on the field left by the Impact midfield would've made for great running room for him.

Thought Hyndman played well tonight. Parky, too, by the sounds of it.

Now to see how Philly finishes today.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Philly loses at Columbus in a match delayed by Ma Nature. This means entering the final match the teams are tied on pts. but Atlanta has the tie breaker via total wins. So Atlanta has to win vs NER (who clinched a playoff spot) in order to take 2nd. Philly hosts CFG:NY who will enter that match with nothing for which to play as the clinched 1st due to ATL and Philly dropping points today.

17. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting line up choices against the Revs....

Barco in Emo’s spot?
    Villalba in Josef’s spot?

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FWIW Vela just scored his 31st. Tying Josef Martinez for goals per season.

For all I care he can have the record if LAFC doesn't win the Cup for their pious fans.

19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Villalba up top, but I'd rather have both Barco and Hyndman on the pitch somewhere. Not sure how you'd work that, but that's why FdB gets the big bucks.

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Watched the game again... is it just me or does it seem like every keeper we go up against seems to pull the game of his life out for us? Well played Mr. Diop.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At the least I can think of a few games where the keeper stood on his head to stop Atlanta above and beyond their average pedigree. Senior Gonzalez from FCD stands out from this year.

22. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a Goonah. You should be used to seeing this.