Matchday 3: USA vs Mexico; 10:30pm ET 3/26

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 26, 2013.

1. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falls too easily doesn't change the fact that the push occurs, small push or not, you cannot push a player. Ch14 doesn't even need to fall. You can't push in this sport. This type of foul is called all the time on cornerkicks, hands more than just placed on the back, force is applied. The fouled player doesn't need to hit the ground at all.

3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to log into a google account to see it.

I actually don't like physical play, but you are allowed contact off the ball. In this case, Chicharito sprints into the box, and as soon as he crosses the line, he pulls up for contact then jumps forward. Bradley's arms do not follow. I hope you get a chance to see the replay.

AwayKit repped this.
  4. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen the replay in all different speeds. The image I posted is a snap shot from the ESPN Press pass. I uploaded the file from my photos, so it should show on the screen. I promise you, you'll change your viewpoint once you see this picture.

5. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certain types of contact are allowed, but pushing is not allowed. You cant even place a hand on a players chest to hold them off. Open hands to parts of the body are against the rules. Refs warn against this during dead balls. And if it continues they call it a foul once the ball is in play.

It doesn't matter that he pulls up for contact which I also stated in another post. It's up to Bradley to not make that type of contact. As much as I hate it, Hernandez outsmarted Bradley. Many players dribble across the front of a chasing player hoping for contact. If contact interferes with the run, the chasing player is at fault. It's a split decision a chasing player must make, not to follow the bait. Most impulsively foul the lower body. This time, it was upper.

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have got to be kidding. Everybody puts a hand out to get past a player or just to measure their distance. If you think touching someone with an open hand is a penalty, then there were a dozen penalties on both sides.

This is the look that says it best for me. Bradley's arms are not extended, but Chicharito has thrown his arms wide for take off. He deked the side judge, but the ref got it right:

[​IMG]

7. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hernandez initiating contact without the ball. By your rules, Bradley has already fouled him. You could make this happen every game without trying hard.

[​IMG]

I'm all for protecting the little guy, but I didn't tune in to see Dancing with the Stars either.

8. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    I'll go back and re-watch - maybe I was too critical, but regarding #2 why is Bradley back behind both CB's?

I had no problem with him taking the yellow - may have looked soft but stopped a critical Mexican counter attack.

Besler's second half was excellent.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing, it shouldn't have come to a PK being needed by Mexico. If they are ALL THAT, they should have beaten us in the run of play.

But, they didn't.

10. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe 8 players aren't missing. Maybe you are looking at the future, looking at the team that will be on the pitch come 2014.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    At least three of FJohnson, Chandler, Jones, Donovan, and Castillo would have been starting. These guys aren't going anywhere.

And the sub options would have been much better.

12. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This statement is clearly made by a idiot

13. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Interesting angle on the Adu 'no-call'.

Now it looks to me like the 'foul' only occurs after the attacker's trailing foot comes up into the planted leg of the guy behind him. At that point his head flies back and he flies forward. I am thinking the ref didn't miss an 'obvious foul' as I first expected.

14. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it was a dumb play by Bradley. There is no need to give the ref an opportunity like that to call a PK.

On the other hand, the Mexicans don't have a strong argument about that play deserving a PK. It was away from the ball on a play where the guy with the ball did something else (I don't remember what) so Chicharito going down had no effect on the play. The contact by Bradley was a love-tap.

15. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    univision.com also has a good highlight segment of this play. There was so little contact between Edu and Aquino that it made no sense to me how Aquino was acting like he had a major injury. but in the slow-mo replay it looks like Edu slightly bumps him to effect his balance and Aquino kicks the ground in front of the ball (and then he also got a little of the ball - shanking his shot far to the left of goal). so maybe it was the fact that he kicked the ground that caused him some pain. But then when he was rolling on the ground and writhing in pain he was pointing to somewhere up in his thigh region. In the follow through as Aquino fell to the ground after he had kicked the ground, Edu was kind of straddling him and there was slight contact between Edu's legs and Aquino's legs as he fell to the ground. That contact on the follow through didn't justify a PK.

Far from a clear penalty. I'm guessing the ref had a good view of that one and therefore decided not to call it. If he had not a very clear view then it seems to me more likely that he would have guessed and awarded a PK.

16. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the highlight you posted. From that view it looks like Aquino shanked his shot because Edu's presence behind him scared him or distracted him, not because there was any actual contact between Edu and Aquino on Aquino's initial shooting motion.

17. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it 8?
    I thought it was 5.

Howard
    Chandler
    DOLO
    F.Johnson
    Jones

I guess you can make a case for BOCA and Donovan but neither one has played for us in a while.

Is there anyone else?

19. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pic I posted is the exact moment of contact. This photo is after. So you are only seeing what you want to see. I guess I'm underestimating your bias.

You say you can touch a player. Pushing is not touching. You can't push. If there is any more confusion about this, let me just add you can't push, pull, strike, grab. Yes, it is up the refs discretion, like a hand ball, but the side judge flagged it. This happened during a scoring opportunity. Even though a shot was taken, instead of a pass, CH14 was in line of the shot, in the box. If you get pushed in the back, especially while running, your arms go out. I'm done arguing with you. You don't want to comment on the photo I posted, so you don't want to be seen as wrong or don't have it in you to change your mind.

20. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    It was a light questionable 'foul' if you wanna call it that. I can't call it a foul. I suppose since you are Mexico fan, it was a foul. There was so much Olympic diving going on out there - it was a disgrace. If you want to fall for it and spend 3 hours defending their diving have at it. A lot of it was vomit worthy....I would expect nothing less though.

21. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't matter that it was away from the ball. The ref warns against this exact thing when a ball is yet to be in played on a cornerkick. If he see it happen while the kick is taken, even if the ball sails over his head to another player, a foul was committed. Saying it was a love tap is like saying a handball isn't a handball if it hits the forearm.

22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I must agree, EJ will go 1-1 with a defender when the opportunity is there, Jozy seems to look for his spots more carefully.

23. G-boot

G-boot Member

Manchester United
    Nov 6, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, I'm a huge USA fan. I don't even have Mexican heritage in my blood. I have no reason to show bias. Be careful making assumptions. I'm glad it wasn't called. But if I hear a Mexican say they were robbed twice over penalties, I wouldn't dispute it as a blind fan.

24. zerkdave

zerkdave Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Arlington, VA
    Dang, you could make that 'foul' happen every 10 minutes of the game. Anytime you feel any sort of spacial presence or any type of contact fall down like someone kicked you in the nads. It was hella good acting. Can't believe you are falling for this type a crap. Just admit you are misguided and move on...

25. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it seems like you are arguing for some alternate reality where we need 15 refs on the field to watch for any slight contact that could occur between two players on the pitch regardless of where the ball is. Bradley's play was a dumb play because it was a risk that if the referree was anal retentive than a PK could have been awarded. I'm not arguing that soccer needs more pushing and grabbing but in my opinion pk's should be reserved for fouls that effect the outcome of the play or for fouls that were vicious, dangerous, or unsportsmanlike in nature. Bradley's play was at worst border-line unsportsmanlike and in no way vicious or dangerous and didn't effect the outcome of the play. I'm glad that most referees and our referee from last night don't referee matches with the anal retentive outlook that you have and that you suggest they should have.