Matchday #3: Atlanta United FC v Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Mar 17, 2018.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kickoff at 7:30 P.M. Eastern
    TV: Fox Sports South, TSN2
    Stream: MLSLive.com (free streams this year!)

Not available on an Army base in the Middle East without a VPN or piracy.

Vancouver has 6 points from 2 games, including a road win against the team that waxed us two weeks ago. Vancouver also beat us last time out, up at their place. We've got no Barco, and LGP is a maybe. Despite all that, I'm feeling pretty confident. I've watched a bit of both of their games, and they haven't looked all that great. What they do have is Kei Kamara, who can score even against good defenses (which ours is not). So I'm thinking a 3-2 victory for Atlanta here, at least one Whitecaps goal on a set piece header.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. Guardien

Guardien Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Alpharetta, Georgia
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Looks like another opportunity to test out the bunker busteeing effectiveness of the 3-1-4-2. As you mentioned though, or ability to play that formation is entirely dependent on a paper this depth at certain positions. CB being one of them.

As we saw against Houston, I'm afraid that we won't even be able to execute an effective 4-2-3-1 without LGP, as we'll have to pull Escobar inside and put Zizzo outside. I can't even bear the thought of dropping Big Red into the backline again. That is the stuff off nightmares.

I'm confident of a United win if LGP goes, and would hope for a tie if he's not. We're just so much better with our first choice players on D, that I can't really see us stopping them very effectively if forced into a compromise lineup.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks for starting the thread, as I was about to do that myself.

MLSsoccer.com preview here. No suspensions or major absences due to injury for either side save for Barco and possibly LGP, though they list Pirez as likely starting.

Vancouver playing back to back road games and this will obviously be one of their longer trips. Wonder if it will have any affect on their play. The 'Caps thrive on counterattacking play (see both goals last week) so it will be critical that Larentowicz keep the shape together and that the midfielders (looking at you, Nagbe) do their job defending. As alluded earlier this will be an exercize in bunker busting, so it will be a point of emphasis that Martinez keeps his head and is patient.

I would tell Garza and co. to spread the field but not necessarily rely on crosses into the box. The Stripes have the players to make penetrating runs so make cutting darts into the box and keep the central defenders busy.

If Atlanta gets the first goal it will dictate the shape of the game. Not sure the Caps can chase the game unless LGP is out and they see evidence of player advantages on the attack. If Atlanta can likewise bottle Jaurez and Davies then the Caps should struggle offensively.

Atlanta with lots of possession, with it eventually paying off as two back-half goals seal the deal. 3-1, and we all get cheap burritos tomorrow.

4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also helpful to play 11 v 10 for 75 minutes.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we got lucky with the sending off... I still haven’t seen any real intent from Waston. And, in my mind, there should be intent or real damage to the safety of the player to be a straight red.

For Vancouver, I was impressed by Alphonso Davies, and even Brek Shea, although he was wasteful in front of goal. The rest, it was like a knife through butter. It’s crazy that a 17 year old can be the best player for a team.

For Atlanta, we were very wasteful... we easily should have scored 6 more goals. Almiron cannot continue to miss open sitters.

That said, it was an exciting game and see us getting into a rhythm. Larentowicz and Nagbe pair really well together, and for all the hype about our top 3; those 2 are just as important. Moreover, Gressel was huge, and it’s going to be harder and harder for him to be replaced. He’s like a more skilled version of Alejandro Bedoya.

I was very happy with Carleton, for his first “real” game of the season (can’t count a player only playing seconds). Giving constructive criticism, he needs time to settle down more. Sometimes the big play isn’t always the best play... and watching him last night, that’s the main thing he needs to learn.

Worried about Escobar... that looked nasty and he was pretty unresponsive. I’ve had my bell rung a lot, and most times it just equals a bad headache for a few days... I hope that’s the case for him.

Also, Parkhurst is still a beast in center defense. Oddly enough, he seems to be better in a 3 man backline.

Kratz showed he could be relied upon...which is critical.

McCann still doesn’t impress me for the salary he commands. He’s not that strong offensively nor defensively. He’s a decent utility player, but that’s a hell of a salary hit for a utility player.

And, for the record, I love Tata, but sometimes he can drive me nuts how he sits on his subs... he ultimately makes all the right subs, but why keep Almiron in there when we are up 3-0, up a man, have all the ball possession, and playing at home. It’s hard for me to criticize the man because he’s revolutionized MLS, but that about him, drives me nuts.

Guardien repped this.
  6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carleton was about 50/50 for me. He gave up the turnover that led to the Whitecaps' goal, but he also had a beautiful assist.

7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Escobar was taken to the hospital for possible spinal injuries. Let's hope that's not the case.

Well, the LOTG disagree with you. Making telepathic powers a mandatory requirement to be a sport's official would eliminate a few people from being eligible.