Matchday 3: ATL vs PHI

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Mar 17, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium - Atlanta
    March 17 - 7:00 PM
    Fox SportSouth

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com United page here.

Okay kids. Whatever our thoughts about the CCL that run is now over, but there are still 32 regular season MLS matches to play and the Stripes need to build on Wednesday night's momentum and start collecting points if they wish to make the post-season and be in the hunt for another MLS Cup.

The first bit of good news is that Philly comes in limping at 0-2 and with their new DP signing Marco Fabian is suspended for the game and other contributors out injured. For Philly fans looking to build on last season's first-ever playoff berth they'll need to see the team recover from a frustrating start, but hopefully they can begin that mission next week.

Like Atlanta, Philly is trying to reload this season with Fabian and a new attack, having shipped CJ Sapong and now relying on a 2 man front. They've defended ably and shown signs of promise but have ultimately fallen to both Toronto and SKC. Their issue seems something of a combination of providing width in attack and in stopping their opponents from dictating the attack. The left side, in particular, of Wagner and Creavalle seems susceptible to chasing the play.

Atlanta played their best game so far on Wednesday night, showing hustle at every position and for most every ball. Still some positioning issues up front and some passing that could be improved but their overall grit and comprehensive support in attack was not only entertaining but yielded quality opportunities against a very good opponent. One would have to assume that a comparable display against less polished teams would produce even more goals, and if Atlanta can resolve their attacking woes then put them back into the running for the eastern conference crown.

The benefit of dropping out of the CCL is that the team can now resume a more normal rotation... after this Sunday. Suggestions thus far are that 1-2 lineup changes might be on offer tomorrow. Personally I'd start Tito over Pity and allow either Parkhurst or Larentowicz to rest while LGP returns.

If the Stripes aren't too burnt out from the midweek match or can simply come close to matching that performance then this should be the game that restores things to "normal."

3-0 to the good guys, and everyone enjoys cheap burritos Monday.

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Is Pogba ready to go 90? Rest Parky and give Florentin a start. That is why we brought him in right? Back 3 today, Pogba, Robinson, and LGP.

And every Monday @ Moe's is $5.99 burrito Monday, so I am hoping we all eat free tomorrow (man, where has my girlish figure gone).

HUP, ATLANTA, HUP! See ya'll at the Benz.

3. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Greetings from a Union fan. First ever trip to MB stadium and hoping to meet some of you at the Gulch today before the match. Looking to experience what I hear is a great match atmosphere in a larger stadium and wondering if there are any "must see/try" at the stadium.

As for the game, this is our 10th year without an owner with any money and a head coach who is in his 4th rookie season in that role and not really getting better. I fully expect loss as a Negadelphian but they sometimes surprise me. If you see a balding guy in a Union shirt with "FRANKLIN" #76 on the back come say hello.

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hola Cherry Hill! I think you've got the right plan for the Benz... get there early and make some new friends in the Gulch. The stadium is nice, so take sometime to check it out, but I can't say there is any "must see", but since you'll be in the Gulch participate in the march to the stadium.

Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wait, how does that work? Do you mean he's in his 4th year with a new team?

Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think he means that he has been with a team 2 more years than you've been a fan.

7. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just try to go in early. Kick is not till 7:15. Be in by 6, get a beer, walk around the entire lower section and check things out, then go up to 200s and walk around it again. Lots of random things to check out. Much different than most stadiums in that regard. Enjoy!

He's saying the coach sucks ;)

4th year in a row being a rookie - not progressing.. your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.

Auriaprottu and Cherry Hill SOB repped this.
  8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welcome and I hope that apart from the game you have a good time in our fair city!

Atlanta is regrettably shy of grand civic spaces, monuments, etc, but the stadium itself is an impressive venue. I would definitely get a picture with the Falcon statue or the soccer ball statue, both just outside the stadium. You can also dip into Centennial Park just down the block from MBS.

Hope the Union lose but that you otherwise have a great time while here. If you see a jersey with Gunner J on the back I'll treat you to a drink.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Roberson predicting Pogba, Bello, and Tito will start today. Not sure I'd be so casual regarding anyone as to start both Pogba and Bello on the left, at the moment. Not denying their talent but as part of team play that seems a bit too much of a risk.

Perhaps if we'd started the season 2-0-0 I'd be so bold. We'll see what FdB decides.

10. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    4th season and still coaching like a rookie

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Great stadium and thanks to Terminus Legion for having me at their tailgate. Swapped a couple scarves and enjoyed the camaraderie. Now, hope the Union can pull one out of their butts.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well done on the point, and good luck the rest of the way. You probably get all three points if Miles Robinson hadn't had such a great evening.

I gotta get that thing fixed.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  13. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for coming down, hope you enjoyed the game. The stadium certainly hasn't been as raucous this season as it has in the past. Philly and Cincy certainly have something to do with that, they both played very defensively, but FdB's system seems just....so.....boring.

70% possession. And it took like halfway into the 2nd half before Atlanta had a shot on goal.

I was preaching patience a few weeks ago, and I'm still trying to keep that patience. In no way do I think FdB should be sacked. But he keeps saying the problems stem from so many games and not enough practice and tired legs. Never mind the fact that it was his decision not to rotate players.

But whatever, CCL is lost, and now he gets a couple weeks before the next match. I'm still with FdB. He doesn't have to win the next match, but if they don't start to show an understanding of his system and of each other, and start creating chances and stop passing back and forth and back and forth and back and forth and stop being so damn boring to watch....I'm gonna start changing my tune.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, sucks to get the tie when we need the 3 points. The positive is that there was some signs of life in this game. The 433 is vastly superior to the 343.

STR1 repped this.
  15. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Out of possible 6 points at home we only got 2. I just hope they do better when they go to Columbus and New England.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As do we all. I don't see a win at Columbus, but we have almost two weeks for FDB to get them ready to take three points. They looked more like their familiar selves after Barco came on, but by then it was too late.

I wouldn't put any money on a win against any MLS club at this point.

17. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take a draw at Columbus right now. C'bus is very good, and we'll be at their place. A win would be a spectacular result for any team up there right now. We will, however, be closer to full-strength and on full rest. Maybe we can convert 71% possession into a shot on goal or two.

We do need to win at New England, though. It's on turf, so we should be in our comfort zone, and NE are not a very good team. Plus, we'll have had two weeks of rest twice in a row.

Why couldn't we have gotten two weeks between games during the CCL run? Thank you, MLS scheduling committee.

18. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Setting aside the scheduling congestion issue, my thoughts as to Sunday's draw with Philly.

- Atlanta's defense wasn't perfect and paid the price. Yes, the goal surrendered was altogether silly, lazy and everything bad you don't expect to see at this level, but not only have we seen it before with Atlanta but we saw two other times in the same match. If we feel hard-done to draw based on such a stupid goal then consider it karma for the times Atlanta were saved by a clearance off the line or by Guzan. So this wasn't really a fluke goal. Philly earned their draw.

To that end the individual defensive play was solid, it's the team marking that needs VAST improvement.

- As someone noted earlier Atlanta was unable to get a shot on goal into deep in the 2nd half. That can't happen if the Stripes want to contend for honors. There were some dangerous balls in that were within inches of producing more but instead simply drew "Oh's!" from the crowd. For me the difference is simply Pity. His shots, when he bothers to take them, have been woefully off-target, much like some of his close-quarters passes to Josef and others. You can see them trying, ill-advised back heels and all, but on no fewer than 7 possessions in the final third the attack died from him without even a dangerous ball in.

If Pity drops deep to get the ball earlier he's not fast enough to bomb upfield a la Miggy, but when he's up top he's not making enough cutting runs to change the shape of the defense. Plus he's not as physical as Miggy which has outright proven a liability defensively and seen him knocked off the ball quite easily. MLS is a taller and more physical league than Argentina, so he better adapt quickly.

Frankly last night I wish Barco had started instead.

- I'm undecided about the subs but I am openly questioning FdB's tactics last night. Whether the 2nd half shift in defense was to be aggressive or a reaction to Philly it belied that someone guessed wrong in how the game would unfold. Ending up with Parkhurst as your left-side attacking wingback caused positioning issues, no matter how well Parky tried to play the part. Subbing him out led to Remedi spelling at centreback while Larentowicz became the primary D-mid, a position that was already struggling on the night. None of these factored into the defensive errors, ironically, but it did (I feel) contribute to seeing so many Atlanta attacks end up pulling on the brake.

Also, the combo of Gressel and Tito is normally a strong suit but last night not so much. How much of that was related coaching, a bad night, or something Philly was doing I can't say, but it was frustrating to see those two not do better in their link-up play.

- - -

I'm not panicking and think the break is a much needed chance for the team to reset. The overall pieces are still good and we're far from out of it in the east. BUT, the team clearly has some work to do and the margin for error is growing smaller. Next few games need to see more shots on goal, more goals, and at least comparable defensive play.

19. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Playing with Pity at the minute is like playing with ten men. His body language is absolutely atrocious. I'm really hoping we didnt get a primadonna here.

I didn't see him at River Plate but surely he was deeper and more central?

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah, but Argentina plays football. Less skilled leagues like MLS get a bunch of big guys and push the talent around.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    What does this even mean? Please expand on your thoughts.

22. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard the argument before that MLS (and I've heard the same thing about the Premier League) doesn't protect their skill players, and allow them to be pushed off the ball or taken to the ground without punishment by the (allegedly less-skilled) opposition. As such, your skill players can't show what they can do, since often when try something they just get hacked to the ground.

Frankly I think he's the most visible problem with FdB's system just because he's the new hotness. Once the team figures it out (whether by finally getting the system, of FdB adjusting to the players) I think he'll be just fine.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Doesn't really jive with the Dutch approach. And while I don't watch the Argentine league, the South American style always seems resemble North American hockey, with skilled players always at the mercy of hacks. Wasn't that our complaint in CCL? Monterrey was allowed to scythe Pity all day long because the CONCACAF referee turned a blind eye.

Nice to have Franco back tonight.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Off topic, but why does the MLS blackout a game being played in Kansas City? If Don Garber wants me watching a Bundesliga match rather than our domestic league then so be it.