Matchday #28 San Jose v Union, September 5, 2015 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by celt1997, Sep 3, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: San Jose v. Union

Poll closed Sep 5, 2015.
  1. Win

10.0%
  2. Loss

84.0%
  3. Tie

6.0%
  1. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not even bad luck necessarily, errors affect all teams, it's just that we don't notice it when it's other teams.

2. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow guys, that game was as much fun as signing up for the Philadelphia Union BigSoccer Forum Fantasy Football League, currently accepting 2 new teams for 2015! Awesome!

3. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guess it was a conspiracy last season when the union went up a man and kept losing. league knew they sucked 11v10

loser's mentality. pretty much what I'd expect from Coach Local.

UnionDues, drewuke, BuddhaWake and 4 others repped this.
  4. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's just taking a page from his predecessor. Hacktics: Blame the officials.

I was out of town and missed the thread. Missed the match. And feel like I didn't miss much. This FO has sucked the fun out of the team. Ambivalent is the best way to describe it.

UnionDues, drewuke, gettysburg11 and 2 others repped this.
  5. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sad that its come to this, but here we are.

6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a tweet saying that Casey coming on instead of Nando was a sign that the latter wouldn't be bought from Nantes in the offseason. Maybe he shouldn't be, but I don't know how that connection is/was made.
    The SuperCuts Man of the Match, to be clear. Made me giggle.
    640533881486225408 is not a valid tweet id

Amscray repped this.
  7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you are suggesting would take an enormous amount of planning and secrecy to pull off. Toronto completely changed its management in an effort to turn things around and it has splashed serious cash to win on the field. There is absolutely nothing to gain at MLS or PRO to keep the Union down. I'd explain what's happened this way, the Union stink and because the margin for error is thin, every tough call that goes the wrong way is magnified.

jaykoz3, Union42, celt1997 and 3 others repped this.
  8. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I don't know that we will live to see it, but I'd love for soccer to experiment with a 2 ref system like hockey. In 2015 it's really not fair to expect one dude to be in charge of the whole field.

9. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PIAA uses a 2 or 3 ref system (2 in regular season, 3 in playoffs) with no linesmen and it is awful. I believe PA is the only state that uses it

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #110 billf, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
    The USSF did experiment with a two referee system in the 2000 US Open Cup. A similar experiment was conducted in either the Copa Italia or Serie C1 in Italy. The results of the experiment were not very good. They were bad enough that the teams in the Open Cup Final asked that only one referee handle the final. Some of the issues are differences in foul threshold, referees blowing the whistle at the same time with each pointing the other direction, and the like.

Some of that could be that the mechanics were too new and referees untrained on how to make it work, though many US referees will have some experience with two whistles if they've done hight school so there is some unique training available here, but this isn't a system that was popular with players, managers or referees.

They do two whistles during regular season games and a very bizarre three whistle system during playoffs. Luckily NJ only did two whistles during most games and when to the traditional system for state final fours.

11. heynowref

heynowref Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It took a couple years for hockey to sort it out but it gives the officials a completely different perspective. When previously as the referee you trailed the play by 15ft or so, now you are always in front of the play watching as it comes towards you. Of course there would be growing pains of difference in foul threshold but it would get worked out as you went along. Positioning wise it means an official is always close to the goal where it matters most. Not running from behind trying to look through players as a play is made in the box. They are in front of it with an unobstructed view.

12. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to side track this, but I just do not agree. When you are fit and read play well, you get into the right positions. I'd rather trail and get wide because it keeps you out of the way. The AARs used in the CL, IMO, solve the issues in the penalty area. I cannot really think of a play where a second referee would have helped the Union. The first handling against Chicago happened right in front of an AR. If MLS was using AARs, Magee's handling and perhaps a definitive in/out would have been easy to spot.