Matchday #25: Union v Chicago Fire, August 16, 2015 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Handsome Pete, Aug 15, 2015.

?

We All Lose Watching This Match

1. Win

55.2%
  2. Loss

34.5%
  3. Tie

10.3%
  1. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If LeToux nets that rebound, its no guarantee the result changes. He eventually scored. Johnson was out of his mind last night, lets give the man some credit.

Doop, KTown222, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.
  2. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was fighting with someone on Twitter about the "I want to kill Mark Geiger" tweet. Kinda defending the guy, I didn't see the address and phone number tweet. That's excessive. Worst part is the guy i was arguing with blocked me so i can't tell him he was right and I'm sorry haha.

3. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame Ryne Sandberg.

ericlfd repped this.
  4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    djramone, buzzkiller23, Doop and 4 others repped this.
  5. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While we are complaining about the refs, anyone have a screen shot of the first half handball? In the box or no?

6. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I can go 1 better and give the video.

Clearly inside the box.

buzzkiller23 and slitz repped this.
  7. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that was marginally even what I'd consider a close call and obvious on replay. I'm surprised they didn't have more of a conniption.

8. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I wonder if Le Toux had scored the rebound, whether they may have remained a bit more composed and saw out the game?

No matter what happened after, a professional at any level or pay grade has to be scoring those. There really is no excuse.

I said that about Sapong's miss in the USOC too.

9. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, it should have been a goal but it wasn't a catastrophically bad miss. LeToux takes it first time, on the volley, hits it hard and down into the turf, and Johnson makes a top hand save going to his right from a prone position. It's a pretty good save of a not-so-great shot. It's not like he missed the frame.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  10. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Golden Boot leaders miss from time to time.

Whosaidwhat11 and BuddhaWake repped this.
  11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? How can it be easier to see out a lead than after you score in the 90th minute?

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many cheap turnovers does the U have on throw ins? It seems like the Union tend to cheaply concede possession on throw ins way too often (Gaddis is one of the worst offenders).

I may be way off here, but it seems that the passing completion percentage is skewed a bit by the horrible distribution from the goalkeepers. Also the forward players all have a horrible first touch (LeToux, Nando, Wenger) that doesn't help matters. It'll be interesting to see how the passing fairs once Nogs is healthy. A midfield with Nogs, Barnetta and Chaco should be able to hold possession better.

13. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK So the final word on this comes from the Simon Borg video which is up now on MLS.com.
    In the 91st minute Chicago handles the ball twice with obvious intention. I saw the 1st one cause I sit in 134 and almost climbed out of the stands to strangle the AR. I cannot swear if the ball went over the end line twice. It happened fast and they were both close. What I did not realize was that Mike Magee actually cradles the ball like an NFL receiver with BOTH arms, with obvious intention before whipping it out for the goal.

With all of the horrible calls, mismanaged FO crap and abysmal coaching that has been the Union season - I wanted to give a shout out somewhere to ....us...the Union fans.

With the two last place teams competing at this stage of the season, most stadiums would be at least half empty. We almost filled the joint last night and it was thrilling in the 87th minute when the entire stadium spontaneously stood and screamed the guys on with the Cmon-the-U chant before Seba got his goal. A fantastic moment, not to be forgotten, just before the 'curse' and Geiger fell upon us again.

14. TonyClarkDOOP

TonyClarkDOOP Member+

Jun 18, 2010
    Oxford, United Kingdom
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My shout out goes to Philadelphia Union social media person running twitter account. I know they can ignore it. but just imagine skimming some of the hate every single day. I know the hammer i lay on them, i can't be the worst either.

15. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the guy who hired him has had well over five years to search the globe to and fro for the right manager.

[​IMG]

aequitas and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  16. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's a big part of the problem. These ARs just can't keep up speed wise to be in the right position to make the right call all the time. And if they were that fast they'd be on a roster somewhere. Other than adding even more ARs, having existing ARs blood dope and take EPO / hormones to get bionically better or those crazy track rail video cams on the sidelines I have no other ideas on how to fix it.

17. hallam

hallam Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #142 hallam, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Actually if you look at the results for the year, our -11 really comes from the first 10 or so games. From then on, we have a 0 goal differential. We were to -11 after the Vancouver game on May 9. From that trajectory, i think this team really has started to come around.

Edit: I don't want to give the impression that the team is doing well. They sucked and now I think they have moved up to below average. I think context matters here.

DaMunk repped this.
  18. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we know that at least on the Union, a bad day's performance does not mean you lose your job!

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes it means you get a new contract, promotion, and/or a significant raise.

20. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's all about the players state of mind. When they scored, it was after all of the other saves and they would have been doubly happy (if that makes sense). It was also in injury time and they obviously just switched off. They were celebrating the win instead of getting the win. An earlier goal, and there is likely less celebration, less of a thought that the win is in the bag. Not saying it would have definitely avoided the awful defending, but it may have.

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this club you only have to worry when you get a fluff piece written about you on the team's website.

Doop, Tyr and Dills repped this.
  22. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you're Zach Pfeffer and there's a fluff piece about you every week.

CyphaPSU repped this.
  23. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    But its still sorta like saying "They don't suck, except for that time when they sucked".

They absolutely collapsed early season, and are still mediocre/under-performing (at best) now. There's no arithmetic that gets rid of your bad performances at the end of the season. The collapses are just as much part of this team's character as the few games they looked competent. You have to take the whole thing together, and altogether this team's performance has been abysmal.

24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I love selective stats

Handsome Pete repped this.
  25. hallam

hallam Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #150 hallam, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    I disagree with you and that is okay. imo the team has improved as the season has come along as evident by the goal differential. The math does not say that the team is completely horrible over the course of the season. Even if we switch and look at wins ties and losses. The Vancouver game split shows a distinctions too. Before that game the Union record is (W,T,L) 1,3,7. After it is 5,3,6. I see that as clear improvement. If the Union had stayed the same, they should only have at most 3 total wins for the year if they continued on as they started the season.

Tyr repped this.