Matchday #25: Union v Chicago Fire, August 16, 2015 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Handsome Pete, Aug 15, 2015.

?

We All Lose Watching This Match

1. Win

55.2%
  2. Loss

34.5%
  3. Tie

10.3%
  1. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's his left foot that is ahead of the ball, so that makes it offside. if it was his right, you'd be correct

2. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of one-footed players, I never realized that Nando seems to avoid his left at all costs. Even during the warm-up drill where they try and see who can hit the seats in TRE the hardest, Nando would run all the way around the bump pass just so he could use his right.

3. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The problem with this franchise is that every year we convince ourselves that we were "just one or two players" away from a competitive side. Or that "if our keeper makes that save" then we're in the playoffs. Now I'm starting to feel like the attitude to rationalize away this poor season is going to be "if we just had that call go our way" then everything would have worked out differently.

This team isn't "almost" there, or unlucky. They stink, plain and simple. They've demonstrated that pretty consistently for us over the last four years.

4. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are only 2 players away from being competitive. They just need to be two "real" DP level players and the Union aren't going to sign those 2 players....ever.
    Really......put Bedoya and Danny Williams on this team (and Blake in goal) and they are in the top half of the Eastern conference. The team could compete, SugarSak just won't.

Amscray repped this.
  5. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same here. Just there on Wednesday, watching the same 2 horrible teams, do I head on out again or take the chance to relax a little before another week at work? Not a hard decision.

6. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much has been said about Barnetta, but he put in another fairly anonymous performance and was subbed off early (by Jim's standards) in the second half. Would expect better from a player with his pedigree.

LuckyStriker and breslinp repped this.
  7. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Yeah, someone behind us in 136 screamed at Lahoud to go back to Sierra Leone after a bad touch.

On Wednesday in 135 there was a guy screaming homophobic remarks at the Chicago players and people were ********ing high fiving him. I'll keep my normal seats in 136 in the future.

8. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Twitter Union brass are handling the doxxing.

celt1997 repped this.
  9. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone keeps saying the Union can't defend but they really aren't that bad when they have their "starting" CBs on the field. Their GA is approaching 1.7/game overall but only 1.2/game when Edu and Marquez start. And the LA debacle is skewing that data set somewhat. Take that outlier away and the Union total GA is still over 1.5/game but the Edu/Marquez combo is below 1/game.
    Bottom line, this team can defend fine with Edu/Marquez at CB and would probably be even better with a decent GK (let's say Blake) behind them. They just really whiffed on the Vitoria signing and then Curtin took too long to realize Virtoia and White aren't starters in this league.

10. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why are we convinced Blake is good? He might be, but there isn't much of a sample that should convince anyone.

UnionDues, jaykoz3 and Dills repped this.
  11. lopezzzz

lopezzzz Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm assuming he's good because he's the only GK they haven't played.

UnionDues, buzzkiller23, Doop and 10 others repped this.
  12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like we found our new LB.

gettysburg11, Tyr and LuckyStriker repped this.
  13. Amscray

Amscray Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Aug 24, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly how I felt in 2011... four freakin' years ago.

gettysburg11 and LuckyStriker repped this.
  14. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the best college keeper I've ever seen. In over 30 years I don't think anyone else was even close. Not pros but.... He's also been pretty good with Jamaica when he's been used.
    Comparatively, JMac was a very pedestrian college keeper and about the same at Reading.

15. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm quoting this because I think we need to take this stuff seriously. Those of us who care most about American soccer need to set a standard that makes sure stuff like this does not happen. That means checking ourselves, our friends, our fellow supporters, etc. It's not about demonizing individuals, it's just saying certain kind of behavior is not welcome in our house.

DaMunk, jaykoz3, gettysburg11 and 3 others repped this.
  16. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh, that's easy. I want him to finish the golden chances he seems to find himself with recently by striking a ball from the run of play with more accuracy and venom than a 6 year old.

Tyr repped this.
  17. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #117 WVUPharm2007, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2015
    Its fits the narrative. The narrative is that the refs are terrible.

We are. The problem is that its an arms race. We do in fact add decent players and have gotten better overall. Its just that the other teams add better players than what we added in the meantime. Aristeguieta? Toronto says, "Giovinco." And then they point and laugh at us.

sentrido, jaykoz3, Amscray and 1 other person repped this.
  18. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

WVUPharm2007, sentrido, etsjay and 3 others repped this.
  19. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This is the most apologetic apology an apologist can apologize for. We're 25 games in and one match is skewing the data? 1.72 GA is good for 19th behind TFC (hmmm Creavalle eh?) and their 1.78

You are your record. The Union can't don't won't defend well. Even if Blake is good, Curtin still will play White or Vitoria and Gaddis and Fabinho. This isn't me being negative, it's me doing math. The math says the Union back line suck and have sucked all season. Can you imagine if we had a former striker and offensive minded coach where we'd be?

20. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defensive struggles aren't only about the backline. The Union have a really lousy pass completion rate, and have a ton of trouble with possession. That leads to turnovers and odd-man rush situations that put our defenders in emergency mode more often than a lot of teams.

21. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. Let's take a look at a screen shot of Le Toux right after Johnson blocked Carroll's shot, I mean just HOW could Le Toux have scored this?

Le Toux at Net.png

That tight marking. That brilliant defense. Truly it was a miracle that Le Toux even got the shot off at all. It's not like he's all alone and literally damned near any touch into the several feet of open space directly in front of him would score a goal.

I normally spring to Le Toux's defense, but let's be honest here, that was a terrible, TERRIBLE shot by him. He hit it right at Johnson. Yes, he scored a goal later, but given the fact that he somehow was unable to put the ball into the net at this point but able to snake a shot through 2 or 3 defenders is pretty damn inexcusable.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He misses the "easy" shot but scores one with higher difficulty, and you're mad?

ScottP from DE and KTown222 repped this.
  23. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Le Toux makes twice as much as C.J. Sapong. Sorry, but you need to sink those "easy" shots when you're getting paid that much. It'd be one thing if Johnson made a fantastic save. But he didn't have to.

24. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure when Sapong scores 45 regular season goals in a Union jersey he'll get paid just as much.

KTown222 and jerseysob repped this.
  25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even some of the highest paid players in the world miss sitters every once in a while. I don't see what his salary has to do with anything.

OwlSaver, KTown222, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.