PBP: Matchday 25: ATL vs NYCFC

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Aug 9, 2019.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Can we put to bed the complaint that this style of play is boring? It looked like 2018 only with discipline in the back and no Miguel Almiron. And against a very good NYCFC squad.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  2. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Well we haven’t been able to play “this” style until recently. Having a full compliment of players really helps. They have also been playing much more direct which speeds the game up.

Gressel needs a break though. He was utterly gassed yesterday and had trouble tracking back. He should definitely sit on Wednesday.

One thing I don’t like about FdB is that he is reluctant to use subs. He waited until the 70+ minute to sub yesterday way after the game was getting stretched. This stretch, which wasn’t solved by Hyndman and Lary led to the goal.

Bubba Atlanta and GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josef should have had a hat trick by halftime. Gressel was feeding that beast all night; I'm surprised only one of those crosses went into the back of the net. Nagbe was also a midfield beast. Pity had a good game, but not his best. Bad luck for Robinson getting that called back; that gets no-called 100 times a game. Meram was also unlucky to not end up on the box score; he played very well all afternoon.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  4. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    One thing I thought was important I forgot to mention. Robinson put Maxi in his pocket and left him there. NYCFC has no possession because Mikes wasn’t letting Maxi on the ball. Miles went everywhere with him and it really disrupted NYCs flow. He was my MOTM.

5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ^This. The style we have mostly been playing this year is boring. This is not. This was a hugely entertaining match to watch, and yes, very reminiscent of last year. Keep it up boys.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a couple of references to some protest that the supporters' groups did that the FO had to get involved in. But no mention of what (if anything) actually happened. Anybody know?

7. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    Not sure what the protest was but did see MLS outlawed political displays which is why they were removed from the stands

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #33 Auriaprottu, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    From what I've read, some of the fans held up posters taking digs at NYC's conservative element.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/new-...r-right-extremists_n_5c76d679e4b062b30eba721a

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ads-mls-faces-an-incursion-from-the-far-right

FO dealt with it pretty quick.

EDIT: Not so much NYC after all

https://www.dirtysouthsoccer.com/20...jected-from-supporters-section-during-protest

SabreKhan repped this.
  9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, I’m so tired of all this political bullshit. Hell, let people do whatever the hell they want. Let someone with a damn nazi flag fly not to someone with a communist flag... at least, it should be interesting.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #35 GunnerJacket, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    I suggest we not our game threads get bogged down with the political sign issue, both to keep these threads on topic and reserve any contentious discourse to threads that can foster constructive discussion.