PBP: Matchday 23: LAFC vs ATL

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jul 25, 2019.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 GunnerJacket, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Los Angeles Football Club vs. Atlanta United
    Banc of California Stadium - Bronx
    July 26 - 10:00 PM ET
    ESPN

ATLUTD preview here.
    MLSscocer.com preview here.
    AJC.com United page here.

Our often dour take on Atlanta’s form this season will certainly taint our expectations, but if we get past that it’s easy to see how Friday’s visit of the Five Stripes to Banc of California Stadium should resonate as a titanic tilt.

On the surface it’s simply last year’s MLS Cup winners versus the team favored this year and on pace to surpass RB:NY’s record-breaking regular season performance. (Which, coincidentally would be the third year in a row for MLS to have a new standard in that regard.) But the match also speaks volumes about club management styles, MLS’ expansion plans, and the lure and impact of star players in this league. Last year Atlanta was cited for raising the bar in what fans could expect from MLS. LAFC wants to raise it further still, (which seems an odd thing to say about a Bob Bradley coached team, but…) and the owners have followed through with the caliber of their stadium, fan engagement, and team investment. For all the lamentations of what MLS has had to showcase with the PSV soap opera and attendance woes in Chicago and Colorado, Friday night will be a spotlight on why the league and its supporters remain bullish as two of the newest and biggest franchises face off.

The LAFC strategy comes from the Tony Stark playbook - “I have a plan: Attack.” Their team has surprisingly good defenders but that’s aided by a comprehensive front half to the team that is oriented around a quick-strike possession-based assault. Landing Vela has proven masterful not only for his marketability but he’s played like a man against boys since arriving. Better still, LAFC surrounded him with host of players who are happy to run and pass around the Mexican – Latif Blessing, Steven Beitashour, and Eduard Atuesta have done exceedingly well in switching from defense to attack quickly and with getting the ball to their best players ASAP. Then to top that off LAFC’s left side attacker Diego Rossi has proven a revelation, perfectly capable of capitalizing on teams hell-bent on stopping Vela. Couple all of this with average players having above-average seasons and this is what you get: A side pundits are questioning as possibly the best ever in MLS.

The few teams to have beaten or held their own against LAFC this season have done two things well – Win the 50/50 balls and stifle LAFC’s ability to transition smoothly and quickly. Last week the Galaxy practically man-marked Vela, Atuesta and Blessing, forcing LAFC to work through Kaye and Rossi (who are typically on opposite sides of the field.) It also helps when your team can hold the ball and move it down the field, allowing LAFC fewer possessions and less possession in their attacking third.

Roberson has Atlanta going with a back three and Gressel and Escobar as the wingbacks, which is viable considering Atlanta just came away from playing this formation and has that experience. Hyndman has been good but do we rely on his youth over Pity's ball handling, or Meram's positioning? Do we rush Barco into the field for this one or ease him in?

I'm feeling wily, so part of me is thinking Atlanta should go right at LAFC. If Barco is healthy is there a way we can put him, Meram, Gressel and both Martinez players on the pitch at the same time? What if instead of having to run up and down the pitch the team is able to simply camp out at the halfway line and constantly shove things at the LAFC goal? Whichever combination has the most aggressive and creative ball handlers in front of Nagbe I use tonight, and rely on the offense to be Atlanta's best defense.

2-2

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well the Galaxy also had a Zlatan on a mission. That game and the obnoxious Swede's performance was amazing.

I am all for man-marking Vela out of the match and making someone else beat us, but I fear this a task too tall... but until Auria makes his call I still have faith.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm-a goin' with 3-2, good guys. Zlatan scores one, someone other than Vela scores the other.

4. Mabee

Mabee Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 26, 2017
    MLS AllStar game?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wasn't thinking.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It IS Friday.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going out on a limb here. Atlanta scores early against a pressing LAFC, then has to bunker for awhile until LAFC equalizes. Late winner for a 2-1 Atlanta victory.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Any chance we can get this game moved up? I am too old for these 10 o'clock kick offs.

Mabee and GunnerJacket repped this.
  9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just set your clock to Pacific Time - 7 PM kickoff, baby!

10. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Clock set. Apparently ESPN didn't set there clocks. We should be up 2-0 by now.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Now that Auria has us winning I am worried, but for once I m going with his extremely bad instincts.

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pity gets the start. As does... Mo Adams?!

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Just flipped on ESPN because for once they aren't going to make me pay extra to watch on ESPN plus. Not sure what I am watching but Real Madrid is getting drummed. 7-1 Nevermind they got a PK and it is 7-2. Obviously these teams really care about this match. I am just glad they fleeced New York fans.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why does Taylor always rag?

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Am I the only one that set their alarm. Where are you people, I am guessing not LA.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Welcome Mo Adams!

0-1!

VFish repped this.
  18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I only have one question for Mo Adams.... what took you so long?

19. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, so good...

20. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    We are sitting too far back.

21. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    The attendance looks sparse.

22. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like us, they're a late-arriving crowd.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think the game would be more enjoyable if ESPN just put duct tape across Taylor Twellman's mouth and let him mime his commentary.

don gagliardi and GunnerJacket repped this.
  24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Our crowd isn't late arriving, the are just $2 hot dog loving. Come on Atlanta, get lubed and tubed before kick off.

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    17' and the teams are starting to settle in.

Vela has been shifted to the left, arguably to avoid Escobar and Adams. Interesting to see if Atlanta shifts, and how that impacts Rossi's play.

Atlanta begging Zimmerman to dribble forward.