Matchday #20: Union v Timbers, July 11, 2015 p/d/p (R)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by aztec21bas, Jun 28, 2015.

?

Predict the Outcome: Union v. Timbers

Poll closed Jul 11, 2015.
  1. Win

23.1%
  2. Loss

46.2%
  3. Tie

30.8%
  1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah and watching Giovinco carve them up in the first half..................foot, meet mouth. LOL

BTW, off topic. IF Orlando is gonna pay Chicharito $10M, his bench mark is Giovinco for on field performance........... I get that he'll have a huge affect off the field, ala Beckham, but he'll need to score at least 20 goals per season to be worth $10M from a playing perspective.

Doop repped this.
  2. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYC needs more than one new defender. Iraola is not a CB, and Watson-Siriboe isn't very good.

In a midfield of Pirlo, Lampard, and Mix, who defends? I assume they run a narrow diamond with Jacobson in the destroyer role. He has been under-whelming there when I have watched them.

Tactically, it really leaves them exposed. You can't run a three man midfield with Pirlo, Mix, and Lampard. All three are offensive minded and won't put in the work of a true defensive midfielder. This means they are stuck in a narrow diamond unless they bench one of these players. In the narrow diamond, they are sacrificing width as wingers will run right past Pirlo and Lampard. While their narrow field will negate this a bit, it will screw them on the road.

NYC's front office seems like a richer version of ours. They throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks. Pirlo is a good player, but is he worth a DP slot when this team already has Mix and Lampard in central midfield? That DP slot should have been used on a striker or defender.

3. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect NYCFC is going to play a weird kind of 4-3-3. Mix will sit deep with Lampard under Pirlo in the MF (Mix will need to defend a lot). Mullins, Villa and McNamara will combine up top. That's why it was so important for them to get those two FBs. They are going to play a lot of games like today's.

4. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Union land, all victories are Pyrrhic.

cwelch999, Amscray, amusiccale and 3 others repped this.
  5. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but Mix isn't a true #6. His skill set is going forward. That midfield would be easily overrun by most MLS offenses. I also think Pirlo and Lampard to be inconsistent in this midfield due to a combination of the heat, the athleticism of MLS, old age, and the fact that both have played nonstop for a two years due to the World Cup and their European seasons.

Kreis seems to be a huge fan of the narrow diamond. I'd expect to see Mix or Lampard as the 10, Pirlo and Mix/Lampard behind the 10 as the centralized wide players, and Jacobson as the destroyer. That is an incredibly unathletic midfield that is expected to do a lot of work to close down the flanks. As a manager, I would just tell my wingers to stay on the touchline and run up and down the flank, forcing Pirlo and his partner to have to run all over the place while opening up space in the center of the pitch. If you can't tell, I don't like narrow formations that abandon the wings.

goindownsouth repped this.
  6. UdiHrant

UdiHrant Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey I was so chocked by the Union win and the fact that Wenger scored that I forgot to check if I own the 50/50 raffle. Does anyone know where I can check to see what number came out or is it too late?

7. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's on the web site under Foundation
    http://www.philadelphiaunion.com/foundation

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it's not as bad as it sounds, and it is evening out.

Both DCU and NER have played more games. OCSC, COL, and NYCFC have one game in hand. RBNY has two. CHI and TFC have three. MTL has four.

Plus, it's not like games in hand are equivalent to an automatic win.

9. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the cautious optimism still exist if we held the same record and were in the other conference right now?

I will say this, though. MLS is a lot like the NFL, where a team that does "squeak in" has just a good of a chance as any other, so, hell, why not us?

10. slitz

slitz Member+

Feb 19, 2005
    Red City, 140
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone notice the luxurious new training fields Saturday? I huge chunk of fence was ripped down. classy

[​IMG]

11. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Been banged up for a few weeks. Think the storm wrecked a bunch of spots

12. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was probably most impressed when they held the ball in the dying minutes of the game and didn't give away possession cheaply. I didn't think Curtin had drilled them on that.

amusiccale and thomas19064 repped this.
  13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ayuk wasn't subbed in.

14. Brinker

Brinker Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Paoli, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hated losing Pedro Ribero, I think it is time to admit protecting Fabinho in the expansion draft was smart. He has adjusted to be a strong LB in a league that has very few people who can play that position. Should have also protected Pedro but not our goalies or maybe left a wing player unprotected. I no longer want to shoot Fabinho into the sun, he may stay here on Earth.

15. drn99

drn99 Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's not get carried away. Fabinho has improved as an LB but he is still defensively challenged. The good thing is Curtin sees it. As he basically said in his post-game, you can only play Fabinho at LB because Wenger puts in such an outstanding defensive effort in front of him every game No Wenger and Fabinho becomes a huge liability.

16. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  17. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We're at the same # points after the same # of games as last season.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cwelch999 and Doop repped this.
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheese Fries. That looks like my heart rate during a Union game.

cwelch999, amusiccale and Tyr repped this.
  19. jmalex

jmalex Member

May 18, 2010
    Montgomeryville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    So if the Union beat Toronto, they will be at their best form ever? I've lost faith in mathematics.

cwelch999 repped this.
  20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they would be tied at 1.9 for their best ever, over a 10 game stretch.

21. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #121 frobisherthepenguin1, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Correct. 1.9PPG. They made it that high late last year, but have never made it above that line. If we win Toronto, DC & Red Bulls it'll stay at 1.9. If we then beat Orlando it would jump to 2.2. #yeahright

22. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really don't remember 2013 being that good. Relatively.

23. maxx_powerz

maxx_powerz Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Jack McInerney was player of the month for April AND May in 2013. Once he came back to earth, looks like the team did too.